LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-09-2002, 04:49 PM   #1
Jeff
User

Post MY LUGER HISTORY AND MAYBE ROUGH VALUE

I HAVE A 1916 ERFURT, THE SERIAL # IS 4 ALL THE PARTS THAT I CAN SEE HAVE THE #4 ON THEM EXCEPT THE TRIGGER SLIDE PLATE WHICH IS BLANK. IS THE TRIGGER SLIDE PLATE SUPPOSE TO HAVE THE SERIAL # ON IT? THE PISTOL IS AROUND 60+% BLUING. GRIPS ARE ALSO ORIGINAL. ANY IDEAS OF THE WORTH OF THIS PISTOL, I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE A LOT OF VARIABLES. ALL THE PROOFS SEEM TO BE CORRECT. ALSO I HAVE TWO MAGAZINES, FXO WITH AN EAGLE AND 37 UNDER THE EAGLE. ARE THESE WAR TIME MAGAZINES. THE PISOL AND MAGAZINES WERE BROUGHT BACK FROM GERMANY IN 1946. WOULD YOU SHOOT THIS? THANKS.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:09 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Jeff, Welcome to the Lugerforum.

I'll get to your questions in a minute, but first let me ask you to use Standard capitalization rules when typing your messages because all caps is interpreted as SHOUTING... or for special emphasis.

Now to your questions.

First of all, your 1916 Luger should have a serial number on the sideplate... if it is original... your sideplate may have been replaced by a unit armorer due to loss or battel damage... but this small change drastically lowers the value of the pistol... All matching numbers command higher collector prices.

To estimate the value of your pistol you will have to describe the proof marks, all other stamps, and their location. There are identification sheets located under technical information link on the Lugerforum.com Homepage left frame.

Your two magazines are WW2 production and they are some of the best available. They are also not original to your Luger.

If the pistol is clean and lubricated, and properly assembled I would have no problem shooting it with appropriate ammunition based on what you have described.

CAVEAT: IF YOU are not familiar with Luger pistols, have it checked by someone who is before you shoot it

I would hate to see you damage it or yourself.

The current value? A reasonable guess in the described condition would be at least $500 with the two magazines... and maybe more, depending on the authenticity of finish on your pistol, and the condition of the grips, the magazines, etc.

If you can post some clear photographs of the top, and both sides, our best guess can get better.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,615 Times in 526 Posts
To add just a little to what John has already told you;

The sideplate should also include an inspector's stamp as well as the serial number (last two digits unless, as in your case, the serial number is a single digit). The inspector's stamp is a crown over a script letter. All Erfurt sideplates were so marked.

At 60% finish and a mis-matched sideplate, I'd peg top value at about $500 with one mag and probably $550 - $575 with both mags. That's assuming the pistol has at least a very good or better bore.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
LP08
User

Because of the age of the pistol, I strongly suggest shooting it only if you put some modern replacement grips on it and have the pistol carefully inspected for strength and integrity. The grips are old and fragile (especially the right side with its thin inside rib) plus may be serial numbered to that pistol. If the mainspring is worn and weak, the recoil of the first shot would be a shock to the pistol. If other parts are cracked or worn, they may break (for example the ejector or breech block). The value of a 60% luger with post-factory replacement parts is probably around $450. fxo bakelite bottom mags run about $75 each at local gun shows if in average worn condition.
LP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:22 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
As Doubs told you above, here is a photo to illustrate what an Erfurt sideplate should look like.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
Jeff
User

Thanks to all your responses, you have given me a lot more information than I had. I also can see how you can become addicted to Luger collecting. Jeff
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote