LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-26-2002, 10:14 PM   #1
markm3
User

Post Trigger function problem I'd like some advice about

As I was cleaning my P08 long barrel yesterday, I noticed something amiss. When I pulled the toggle back a half-inch and heard the click, I tested the trigger. Nothing. No click, just a back and forth motion against the spring. My other Luger clicks, the trigger engages and when pulled, simulates the firing procedure. The same thing happens with the empty magazine in, as it does with no magazine. Clearly, something is not right here. The last time I fired it, it was fine, and I cannot recall the trigger failing to engage before. Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this? Or is it not unusual for the trigger not to function absent a magazine and a chambered round?

Many thanks to all of the terrific folks wo have made this forum a real pleasure for a newbie.

Regards,

Mark
Unread 09-26-2002, 11:43 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,615 Times in 526 Posts
Remove the sideplate and make sure the wire rod that the trigger lever (the "L" piece) pivots on and also holds the lever in place hasn't moved away from the "locked" position. If it has, it'll cause just the problem you describe.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
markm3
User

Many thanks, Doubs. That makes perfect sense, and I'll do that tomorrow.
Unread 09-26-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
Jerry Harris
User

Mark,

I'm assuming you mean that you cocked the Luger (got the click), then closed the breech (put the toggle back down), then pulled the trigger which would normally dry fire, but nothing happened.

Here's an additional test: When nothing happens, does the breech open very easily and then get stiff at about 1/4" back? If so, that confirms the firing pin is still cocked.

Your description is consistent with a sear that won't quite release, but please take time to be sure, and wait for more answers here before trying to modify anything. Doubs' suggestion makes sense, and a loose side plate can also reduce the ability of the trigger lever to push the sear far enough to trip the firing pin.
Jerry Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 04:11 PM   #5
markm3
User

Jerry:

Many thanks. Yes, your description of wha t I did in the first instance is correct.

I then did the test you described, and sure enough, the firing pin is cocked. It would seem that the sear is not doing what it is supposed to do, for whatever reason.

Any suggestions on anything I can do, or should I take it to a gunsmith? If the latter, please let me know of anyone in the Washington, DC area that you may recommend.

Thanks and regards,

Mark
Unread 09-27-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
I am in the DC area Mark (work in Herndon VA)... and it doesn't seem to me like a gunsmith is warranted..where are you?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
markm3
User

John:

Many thanks. I'm in Alexandria. We're not at all far apart. If there is some convenient time I can bring it by in the near future, that would be terrific!

Regards,

Mark
Unread 09-30-2002, 11:08 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mark, Check your private messages with the profile link at the top of this page.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote