LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-29-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
Andy

Default What type of Luger do I have?

The Luger I have is a .30 caliber with a 3in. barrel. It is blued with wood checkered grips. The DWM on top of the reciever is written in very scrolling lettering. On every major piece ther is a mark of a crown with the letter N under it and the number 99 on all parts. Under the barrel there is the number 1099 with what looks like a lower case k under that. The two magazines have wood bases with a big "R" stamped on them and the word Germany. When you put the saftey on it has the word GESICHERT on the side. I have the origional leather holster with it. Can anyone tell me what type of Luger I have here and if it is rare? Thank you in advance.

Unread 05-29-2001, 11:31 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: What type of Luger do I have?

Andy,

From your description, you have a Commercial Luger manufactured for sale in sporting goods stores worldwide. The .30 cal is the most common of the commercial models and the barrel length is a little shorter than the military models to circumvent the Versaille Treaty after WWI. The bluing is a rust blue and the wood grips are correct. The DWM is the logo of the manufacturer "Deutsche Waffen Munitions". The Crown/N is the commercial proof mark required by the German proof laws of the late 1800s. The number 1099k is the serial number (always use the lower case letter as it is a part of the SN). Normally, the commercial Lugers would not have the last two digits from the serial number stamped on all the major parts as in the military fashion, but it was done and is not uncommon. The numbers also show that the entire pistol is all matching as it left the factory.

I am not sure what the "R" on the magazine represents, but the "Germany" stamps indicates it is a commercial magazine, and most likely the magazines that came with the pistol.

The word "GESICHERT" is the German word for "Made Safe", or in English "SAFE". Also, when a cartrige is loaded into the chamber, the extractor will have the German work "GELADEN" showing on it's side. This word in English indicates, "LOADED".

Commercial Luger holster are certainly varied, but most have no makers name or date stamped on them. Does yours have any stamps or marks on it to help with the identification?

Without my book to refer the serial number to for exact info., the pistol is probably a 1920 Commercial Model and would have been manufactured sometimes in the 1920s. The German industries of this time were seeling many of these pistols in the US as it was the best market they had an many thousands were sold here. Take a look on the frame somewhere to see if there is a stamp in small letters that says "germany" or "made in germany". Normally, many of the pistols imported into the US had this stamp, but some did not. Some of the non import marked Luger were sold in European sprting goods stores.

The pistol is not rare if I have read your information correctly and they can be purchased for approx. $600-700 in excellent condition. As the condition drops, the value drops also. A commercial in very good condition can be purchased for approx. $500. These make really great shooters and are a very important part of the Lugers varied history. Please take care of this pistol, and no more of these historical pieces will be made. I hope that if someone else has more information, they will jump in and provide this to you.

Marvin

Unread 05-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
tom h

Default Re: What type of Luger do I have?

I presume that the DWM logo is on the mid toggle link (if on top of the chamber as you indicate, this part would have to be from a M1908 Bulgarian). If all of the small parts are marked with a crown over a letter, these would be of Erfurt manufacture, which doesn't coincide with the DWM toggle marking. Also the Bulgarian and all issue Erfurts were in 9mm vise 7.65 unless they were rebarreled. I'd suggest that you first check out the technical and owner's photo sections of this sight to better identify what you have.