LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Grip fonts

Greetings fellow members,
Anyone out in Luger land have any knowledge about whether or not there is a standardization concerning font sizes on grips? I have several Lugers that I feel very comfortable in saying their lineage is without question, but the font sizes are very different. My 1910 DWM for instance has very small numbers, but my BYF 41 has much larger numbers. Both Lugers are war trophies that I acquired directly from the GI who captured them, so I feel it is reasonable to assume the numbers on the grips are not home brewed. Before a conclusion is drawn concerning DWM and Mauser being different, I also have a 1914 DWM with large numbers much like the BYF.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The grip strap markings were applied by unit armorers with whatever die fonts they were issued or obtained. It is actually remarkable that there was any uniformity at all in individual markings across the span of thirty or more years. There were regulations dictating the size, style and placement of unit marks, but you make do with what you have to work with (and not every armorer was literate enough to understand published directives). The Weimar era marking goes all wonky, and early Nazi stuff isn't much better. I find that Imperial era stuff shows much more consistentcy, but that is just me.
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Are these the steel stamps used for "unit markings"???

I don't have any knowledge of a Reichsministerium regulation on size & font...I'd just like to know how they stamp a curved surface and get uniform depth and definition on the stamped letters...

It's pretty much impossible to find "curved" stamps even in this day & age...Where did the Germans get theirs??? Each machine shop/toolmaker make their own???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron,
I should have been a bit more clear. I was referring to the number size on the wood.

Mike
Unread 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Oh... as Emily Latella (Gilda Radner) used to say on Rowan and Martin's "Laugh In", "that is very different...nevermind".
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, that's an interesting answer; LOL. Is there an answer to the different size numbers?

Mike
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Mauser George
User

Postino, it's still done today as it is refered to as roll stamping.

Regards,

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
Are these the steel stamps used for "unit markings"???

I don't have any knowledge of a Reichsministerium regulation on size & font...I'd just like to know how they stamp a curved surface and get uniform depth and definition on the stamped letters...

It's pretty much impossible to find "curved" stamps even in this day & age...Where did the Germans get theirs??? Each machine shop/toolmaker make their own???
Mauser George is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser George View Post
Postino, it's still done today as it is refered to as roll stamping.

Regards,

George
George - So you're saying that every Regimental Armorer had a hydraulic press and rotary stamps available, plus the necessary fixtures to hold the Luger grip frame in place???

I find that hard to believe...

Of course, I've seen stranger things...

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Mike, late Mauser grip plate numbering is usually quite large. The early guns seem to have had the numbers stamped using the same small dies as the frames were marked with.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

My personal feeling on this Mike is that there may be some uniformity in grips produced at exactly the same period in the same manufacturer, but not across the spectrum of manufacturers and suppliers. Let me emphasize that this is my instinct on the question based on observations. I do not have a published reference to support this opinion.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mike, Here are a few general observations: DWM & early Mauser military PO8 grips are stamped with the last 2 digits of the serial using 3mm high dies. DWM commericals after WW1 and some early Mauser militaries & commericahls, will have unnumbered grips. Erfurt & Simson grips are thicker and will be proofed inside in addition to the small digits. Later Mauser WW2 era grips will most often be numbered with a much larger die set. Sometimes only one side is numbered and the other side will have an inspector's WaA. There's a much greater variation of grip numbering on these WW2 grips. TH