LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
ripcord810
User

Default T.V. Luger Sighting

On Cajun Pawn last night, they had a 1916 Erfurt rig. The "expert" never mentioned if it was numbers matching. They offered $1500 then went to $2200. The man refused saying he wanted $5000 or he would just hang on to it.
ripcord810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes, I saw that episode. Last night was a rerun. I went to that pawn shop with two very nice Lugers. I spoke to the owner of the shop. He called in his so called gun expert to look at the Lugers. These were two very collectable Lugers in 95% condition or better. He did not even ask me what I wanted for them. He asked me to give him my phone number; basically, don't call me, I'll call you. I honestly think they thought I was some kind of hussler trying to slip him a banana. IMHO that show and the other Pawn shop show is all Hollywood.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Agreed. All the purchases or potential transactions on these shows ARE STAGED!! They may call you and want to feature your guns in a show, although they've done "Luger" already. Go back with something more exotic and they may want to feature you.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Yes, I saw that episode. Last night was a rerun. I went to that pawn shop with two very nice Lugers. I spoke to the owner of the shop. He called in his so called gun expert to look at the Lugers. These were two very collectable Lugers in 95% condition or better. He did not even ask me what I wanted for them. He asked me to give him my phone number; basically, don't call me, I'll call you. I honestly think they thought I was some kind of hussler trying to slip him a banana. IMHO that show and the other Pawn shop show is all Hollywood.

That is really interesting that you did that. Your Lugers most likely made them swallow hard, and they likely felt that they were out of their price range, or more likely, did not know how to value them correctly.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
padredan
User

cajun pawn or Top Dollar Pawn run by Jimmie DeRamus isn't really even in cajun country it is central louisiana, we here find that amusing to start with. This show is so bogus for the most part , nothing like the operations of a day to day pawn shop. Deramus has been there over twenty years and he is sure not against making a buck and when the history channel came with a few dollars, there you have it. his ego was big to start with , well now . i think you get the rest.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
padredan
User

and this is our resident gun xspert/lol. His first words are "what are you lookin to get for it"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02918.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	27922  

Unread 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Padre et. al,
Yep, I forget to include that in my post. He states he is in cajun country. I am in the middle of cajun country and proud of it. His business is in Alexandria, Lousiiana which is dead center in the middle of the state; far from cajun country. Plus he says the "little town of Alexanderia". Little town? 50,000 people last census; not a little town. I live in small town; 5000 people. I think what I should do is call him back and tell him that I have Jesse James's six shooter; maybe then he would be interested.

Mike
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

I missed the show a few days ago but I watched the rerun yesterday at 8.30 p.m.
Well, I expected more comments of the luger expert and I'm still wondering what kind of 9mm ammo they used when they shot the luger. At least the luger worked excellent without any problems. But I think, all of the shows are staged. The call it "scripted reality" in the tv industry...
I've visited the Miami/Dade gunshow last weekend and was disappointed. Just two dealers had lugers. One dealer a Vopo Luger, the other one had three lugers, one of it was a G-date (very low serial# 47 or 49, I guess #47 ) All numbers matching except the mag and the grips. (It had bw style black bakelit grips). The luger had the original blueing and strawing. The price was $3,995.00 Seems a little bit high... Next saturday, 8-4-2012, I'll be at the gunshow in Tampa. I've been told this is the biggest gunshow in FL
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
padredan
User

the pawn shops i work with , there are four, plus i do some gun work for a few others . again that show is staged and mostly bogus, besides no where being in acadian .
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes...all bogus including the original "Pawn Stars"! I don't even bother watching any of them.

The one I do like is "auction Kings" Seems a little more realistic to me.

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suum cuique View Post
I missed the show a few days ago but I watched the rerun yesterday at 8.30 p.m.
Well, I expected more comments of the luger expert and I'm still wondering what kind of 9mm ammo they used when they shot the luger. At least the luger worked excellent without any problems. But I think, all of the shows are staged. The call it "scripted reality" in the tv industry...
I've visited the Miami/Dade gunshow last weekend and was disappointed. Just two dealers had lugers. One dealer a Vopo Luger, the other one had three lugers, one of it was a G-date (very low serial# 47 or 49, I guess #47 ) All numbers matching except the mag and the grips. (It had bw style black bakelit grips). The luger had the original blueing and strawing. The price was $3,995.00 Seems a little bit high... Next saturday, 8-4-2012, I'll be at the gunshow in Tampa. I've been told this is the biggest gunshow in FL
The biggest DECENT gun show in Florida is the Lakeland show, which is near Tampa. Is this the one you are attending?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
the pawn shops i work with , there are four, plus i do some gun work for a few others .
Padredan, you mentioned in another thread (IIRC) that you had active experience with pawn shops. I have only had interaction with one, "Jerry's Sporting Goods" in Oceanside CA back in 1970 (I bought two pistols & one rifle while stationed nearby).

There are no pawn shops near me (Western New York State), so could you please go over how 'pawning' a pistol/rifle works, both from the standpoint of the 'seller/pawner' and the 'buyer'???

I don't know anything about pawn shops, their policies, the idea behind pawning, length of time for payments, etc. It would be helpful to know how to pawn, what to expect, if my pawned item could be bought by someone else, etc.

Really a newbie to pawning. I've never watched the shows for many of the reasons previously given by other members here.

I've never been to Louisiana either, so I'm somewhat amused & bewildered that the owner of that pawn shop should call himself (by inference), a 'cajun'...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Sons Of Guns is I beleive is the most real. They featured an artillery bring back, replaced the fireing pin. He somehow found a 32 round drum and fired it. It was my first time seeing an artillery luger fire. Full episodes and Tales of the Gun, Lugers can be seen on You Tube! A Must See especially interested in Luger History!
Attached Images

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
padredan
User

Yes, have been a partnership in one pawn shop or co owner and now repair the guns for several others. pawn shop rules can vary by state. those in louisiana are governed by the office of financial service. the loan periods are set at ninety days and the interest per month is 20 percent or a apr of 240 percent, meaning you pawn and item for 100 dollars and you pick it up on the 3rd month you will pay 160.00 to pick it up, if you do not on the 91st day it can be sold or pfi, pulled for inventory/ firearms are booked in by atf rules and when picked up by the person who pawned the gun, a form 4473 must be filed out and called in and the person will either be approved ,delayed or deined. as long as the monthly interest is payed the loan can continue ,for what ever period the interest is payed to. like i said it can vary from state to state, but thats pretty much it. and yes i am called to evaluate many of the firearms for loans or to buy.
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

What the strangest thing ever to came in?
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
padredan
User

hmm, have to weigh that a bit strange to me would be odd, what we do at times is when we get a really odd item and one we do not really want we send it to one of our competitors. there are 13 pawn shops fairly close to each other, we are pretty much friends with several but a couple are corporate owned , cash america pawn, those we mess with, we send them mostly the realy odd ball customers or just plain weirdos.
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

'We Buy Gold' everywhere. Debbie brough Granmas $20 to the closest. With more tan a glance He offered $800 because of its 'poor condition!. She said she had to get an ok from grandpa. He raised the price for another fifty! The must be profitable profitable as we have ten in out 5 mile radius! Grandma said as long as you have gold you will always have bread! an 82 year old German who survived 2 wourly wars! I just found the Ten!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eagle round.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	27932  

Name:	double eagle.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	27933  

Name:	indian face.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	27936  

Name:	indian rear.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	27937  

Unread 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is worth a minimum of $1600.00.

Mike
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks Mike.I can only imagine what this coin had seen haven't minted in the twenties. I have another that I woud ask your opinion! Ill take a look. Tks Eric l
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
Yes, have been a partnership in one pawn shop or co owner and now repair the guns for several others. pawn shop rules can vary by state...
Thanks for your reply!

Do pawn shops advertise/display pawned items??? That is, before the pawner defaults on his payments??? Is it a legally binding contract??? Is the shop required to possess an FFL???

Are there instances where a person pawns an item, defaults on the payments, and then comes back later and buys the item outright???

Are some of the pistols being sold on GB AA or GA pawned guns??? Or can the shop buy them outright??? I seem to recall seeing several Florida pawn shops selling pistols I was interested in...FN 1900's, as a matter of fact...There seemed to be a half dozen every week...

There's a couple members here who have commented that they stop by their local pawn shop every week or so...Sounds like a shrewd idea...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote