LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Jim McArthur
User

Question Lugers for Self Defense?

This is a topic that kinda-started elsewhere under another topic heading, but I thought it deserved its own heading.

The question is: does anyone on the list keep a Luger for self defense purposes?

Jim
Jim McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
HerbZ
User

Thanks Jim for starting this here!

To just sort of bring the discussion up on things; under Off Topic & Other Firearms, we'd digressed from favorite revolvers to choices for a self defense weapon. Several 9 mm automatics were mentioned. Having worked in several independently owned service stations back in my college days, I remembered that just about every one was owned by a WW II vet who kept a pistol someplace, several were war trophies like a Walther P38, but never a Luger. That's when I asked, "would anyone choose to have a Luger for such circumstances, a really nice shooter (or at least nothing too collectible), say with a Mec-Gar and Wally's white box ammo?"
Unread 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Ron Smith
User

My reply from the afore mentioned thread..

Herb,

Not too many would keep a loaded Luger these days, but back in it's day, it was common, I would think. Consider the number of 1920/23 commercials that were purchased. Most were probably used for self, and home defense.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
davidkachel
User

I wouldn't keep anything for self defense I would not be willing to see the police spirit away forever.
Unread 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Navy
RIP

Gents,

The first rule of self-defense pistol craft is never use anything that doesn't have the number 4 as the first digit of its caliber.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
rightwire
User

Personally, I don't like using anything for home defense that was manufactured before my father was born.

Just as a general rule...
rightwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
azlaw
User

A social gun should be something strong, reliable, simple to operate and service, and with night sights. You might get #2 with a Luger.

That said, I have been invited to a Action (three gun) match this weekend, and am considering taking the Luger and my K98. Bound to make conversation anyway.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Curly1
User

For home defence I have my 12 gauge handy and ready to go. For carry I would not use anything that would have to be "kept" as evidence so I would use one of my more modern S&W pieces.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
HerbZ
User

If I may be permitted to moderate for a moment:

The question here isn't really what would be the best handgun for home or self defense, but how about a Luger?

Is there's not one member of this forum who actually keeps a loaded Luger someplace in there home? Not necessarily with a round in the camber, but with a loaded magazine.

If so, what is it and with what for a magazine and ammunition? In the other discussion (where I showed my own preference, a S&W Model 10 with a 6" barrel) I speculated that perhaps a good Luger shooter, or at least nothing too collectible, with a Mec-Gar and Wally's white box ammo might do.

P.S. If you or anyone you know is seriously into the venerable Colt Single Action Army revolver and/or the many reproductions, then you have undoubtedly come across discussions concerning the use of such a weapon for self defense. I'm not just talking about Cowboy Action Shooting competitions, though that certainly is what they're practicing.
Unread 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
HerbZ
User

As for all who mention the undoubted efficacy of a 12 gauge (my choice would be a Remington 870 cylinder bore & Remington Express Buckshot), consider for the moment the many scenarios in which a handgun may be desired because one is required to use one hand for taking care of task other than holding a weapon. You know, like holding a flashlight, opening doors, making a phone call to 911, or managing a large dog.
Unread 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

If all you have is a luger then it is better than no gun. I have a hard time seeing the sights durning the day time so at night it would be point and pray, not something I would want around the family menbers.

Jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I love Lugers, always have! I love them for their design, beauty and history. For home defense and personal armament I don't want anything without a hammer. I don't want something that can go proactive in a glove compartment or pocket.

Scattered about where I work and play are 1911A1's, PP's and a CZ75.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
stefanosg
User

I love my Lugers, but they are just not reliable enough for me. I keep a wheelgun in the nightstand drawer for that.
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
pipeman45
User

Speaking of night stands
I just picked up a well worn S&W Victory lend lease revolver in 38S&W for mine. It's covered with all kinds of US property and British tons stamps .
Will that work?
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Jim McArthur
User

Quote:
Originally posted by stefanosg
I love my Lugers, but they are just not reliable enough for me. I keep a wheelgun in the nightstand drawer for that.
Me, too. They may not be as romantic - then again, they may be - as autoloaders, but you just can't beat a good revolver for a real-world shootout.

Jim
Jim McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #16
sambuscemi
User

41 S/42 mismatched and rebuilt, functions almost flawlessly at the range. It's my everyday shooter and it's dependable. Sits on my workbench at home in an inexpensive nylon holster with a loaded Meggar magazine (chamber is always empty) with cheap +P 9mm Chinese import ammo - just in case it's ever needed (at home). It's the only loaded gun in the house and it sure likes that hot ammo!
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #17
Sieger
User

Default Chinese +P Ammo

Quote:
Originally posted by sambuscemi
41 S/42 mismatched and rebuilt, functions almost flawlessly at the range. It's my everyday shooter and it's dependable. Sits on my workbench at home in an inexpensive nylon holster with a loaded Meggar magazine (chamber is always empty) with cheap +P 9mm Chinese import ammo - just in case it's ever needed (at home). It's the only loaded gun in the house and it sure likes that hot ammo!
Hi:

I have a matching byf 41 and the Chinese stuff batters the hell out of it. Your rebilder must have installed a recoil spring that had formerly been used as a bumper spring on an old Dodge or something.

If it works, use it!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
HerbZ
User

What do you mean by "functions almost flawlessly?"

Can't help but wonder if using any kind of +P is ever appropriate ammunition for a 60+ year old Luger?

So far, that's just one member of this forum who says they actually keep a Luger loaded.
Unread 04-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Herb, over the last 6-7 years (since I retired from the army and had to find steady work ), I have kept a loaded Luger a couple of times. As Tom alluded to, if it ain't a 45, 1911A1 variant then I'd rather not bet my life on it, the luger is just generally not reliable enough for me, let alone the caliber. That said, my Makarov or a PP are the ones that sit loaded many times at the house.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
sambuscemi
User

Herb/Sieger: I usually go to the range with my luger with about 500 rounds of that Chinese ammo +P I bought and my gun digests it very easily. The worst that happens is sometimes (about 6 to 10 times) I will get a stove pipe jam but short of that I do not have any difficulties whether rapid firing or slow careful shooting . All the pins and axles in the gun have been replaced with hardened steel pins/axles and the recoil spring is very stout to say the least as well as the magazine spring which has also been replaced - headspacing is within tolerance for the 9mm cartridge. The firing pin flutes have been enlarged and the feedramp has been polished. I am using an aftermarket extractor and had it hardened also as to avoid breakage ensuring positive extraction of a case especially when the brass expands excessively due to heat and is a bit difficult to remove from the chamber. To say the least I am please with my luger and enjoy it very much.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote