LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
I have four P-08s. All do quite well with 124gn L-SWCs. All are easy to load for and they feed everything I have tried--once I find the COL range they like for each bullet.
I find medium speed powders are best. Power Pistol, Silhouette, and True Blue work well. AA5 is also pretty good.
One P-08s wants hot loads. The rest are fine with medium to normal loads.
One big area of concern are magazines. There are a lot of cheap mags that should just be run over and thrown away.
Hi,

I agree on the medium range powders!

What brand LSWCs are you using? What have been your most successful OALs with this bullet?

Thanks!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 09-03-2015, 05:11 AM   #22
noylj
User

L-SWCs:
Favorite was the MasterBlaster .38 Super 115gn. Great bullet. Have not found a suitable replacement. COL 1.117".
Lee 358-105-SWC was quite fun. COL was 1.020". It seemed to do very well with LLA and 231/HP38.
Penn 115gn was OK. Did well with Unique. COL 1.025"
Had a Lyman SWC mold that threw 130gn bullets. Have no record of COL used and, last I looked, no one knew the mold number.
Missouri 125gn, when not shooting JHPS, is my favorite. Did best with Power Pistol, Silhouette and True Blue at 1.115"
COL, though, is VERY dependent on the chamber. Some of my guns have short throats, and would be loaded shorter--but I haven't used them much.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
L-SWCs:Missouri 125gn, when not shooting JHPS, is my favorite. Did best with Power Pistol, Silhouette and True Blue at 1.115"
COL, though, is VERY dependent on the chamber. Some of my guns have short throats, and would be loaded shorter--but I haven't used them much.
Hi,

How is the quality of the Missouri bullets? Frankly, Penn has let me down before.

Are you shooting the traditional lead lubricated bullets or the newer "High Tech" coated ones? I haven't tried shooting bullet with this specific coating, as of yet, but they look interesting.

Every single Luger I've ever examined has been long-throated. This was a typical German practice and it also applies to the Mauser rifles of the same period.

To me, many of your OAL figures look a bit short to reliably cycle a Luger loaded with a full magazine of 8 cartridges (see my Sticky, in this section, on how to determine proper OAL), but, I'm not one to argue with success!!!

Thanks, and if I could ever find any of your powders on the shelf, I'd really like to give them a try!!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 09-03-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote