LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Marvin,

I bought some to test, used it on the left ear of my rather beat-up Test Eagle to determine if the safety area was actually polished and the remaining blue on the gun was original (it was, and it is). It swept rust away almost magically.

This product is a strong chemical. It is noted as a copper remover, so it will attack your bronze wool (or the bronze brush I used) and leave a coppery-looking area on the surface where used.

Although it claims to not attack blue, and indeed may not in a very brief use, my recollection is that it was also advertised that it can be used as a blue remover, as any strong ammonia compound will do over time. I would be vary juicious in its use, particularly on an area where the blue is very thin; I believe it "thinned" the small area I used it on.

It might be useful on a "drop-by--drop" basis on individual spots of rust, but I would not use it as an over-all rust remover on any Luger I considered collection-quality.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #22
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Dwight, if what you report is true, then I would immediately remove any trace of the stuff after use, and re-oil the parts where it was used... if you do that, it should not be much of a problem...

If it is a copper remover, (like hoppe's) it should also work wonders in the testing for, and removal of cold blue, since that type of blueing is copper sulphate based.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
Marvin
User

Dwight,

You are correct that is will disolve copper. I always use it on 0000 steel wool, or a small piece of cloth. I use it only in a rust effected area, and immediately wipe it off and oil good as John S. stated. I did buy a decent Romanian .22 Training Rifle a few weeks ago and I put some Blue Wonder on a piece of cloth, wiped the entire action/barrel, and it sure brought the "luster" back to the bluing. Of course, I oiled it good after taking the Cleaner off.

With Lugers, I have always been veeeeery careful with any chemical, steel wool or bronze wool. Normally I try to use a cloth with oil to clean
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #24
The Virginian
User

To soak a gun mix up a batch of Ed's Red and leave out the acetone and it will get your gun cleaner than you ever imagined, plus it is harmless to blued finishes.