LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Weasel505
User

Default Question about LP-08 hold-open

Hi,

This past weekend I examined an LP-08 that I am considering buying. Looked near perfect (well, pretty good), all matching, except when I opened it up, I noticed that the hold-open device was not numbered.

Quick question: should the hold-open device have been numbered? I didn't pull it out of the gun so I don't know if it has a hidden number. Specifically, if the hold-open is not numbered, does that mean it is a replacement part?

It's a DWM 1918. Pretty good shape. They want $2k. Oh hell, it's probably sold by now.

Thanks for any help.

Weasel (Bob K.)
Weasel505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Mauser George
User

Bob:

It should be numbered to the gun. By chance, does it have adjustable front sight?

Regards,

George
Mauser George is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Weasel505
User

Default No, no adjustable front sight...

...but how critical is the hold-open device number? I may have missed it. It does not have the adjustable front site. Called the shop today (8/19) and they still have it. The problem is that the store is about an hour away from me. I can't just run over there and look at it.

ANYBODY: If you had the opportunity to buy an arty luger for $2k with an unmarked hold-open, would you???????????

Why is Luger collecting so nerve-wracking??? This is supposed to be fun!

Thanks.

Bob
Weasel505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I just did. Not the hold open, but it was matching except for the inside number on left grip.
All depends on how bad you want it, and what you can afford. Only you can answer that.

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

Yes, I would buy it if at 2K it was a deal, regardless of the fact the HO was not numbered.....I would however feel a bit uneasy about a MM numbered one....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

You know, I may be nuts but I have been collecting for over fifty years and I'll be darned if I will let a mis-matched firing pin, holdopen device, grip or magazine keep me from buying a nice example of a variation. Having a "type' example in good shape adds to the completeness of a collection. I'm not into it for the big bucks but for the sheer excitement of sticking to my collecting goals and hunting down the elusive missing piece. An un-numbered part may make a piece slightly more desirable for some folks, but a mis-matched internal part isn't anything to worry about as far as I am concerned. When I started collecting it was just a thrill to find a nice example of a Luger I didn't have. I have owned a bunch of fun Lugers that were less than perfect but they made me happy. The current trend of tearing a gun apart for a minor discrepancy and declaring it a dirt cheap shooter is silly and has taken the sheer joy of collecting away. Everybody is in it for investment and the money it will eventually bring. Carpe momentum...and have fun.

Last edited by Ron Wood; 08-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Ron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Ron Wood for your post:
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,522 Times in 940 Posts

Ron
Amen. I have been collecting for 50 years also and couldn't agree with you more. I think it's time to get real. As long as we keep demanding perfect lugers the fakers will continue. These firearms were used, in a war even or maybe two wars, therefore expect them to be used. I keep reading where shooters are replacing parts before shooting their collectors. Not sure the German army had that luxury. When I started collecting lugers a 98%+ luger with all matching numbers and 2 matching mags was so rare I really didn't expect to find one. Now they seem to be everywhere . Hmmm. Bill
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Ice
User

Ron and Wylon,

I have to agree with you both that Lugers are made to be enjoyed. I collect the so called meat and potatoes Lugers because I can't afford the high end models. I do shoot them although I will admit to replacing parts before doing so. For me, Lugers are sleek and elegant like a beautiful woman while additionally being a piece of history that you can hold in your hand. History, fun to shoot and fine accuracy - all in a wickedly elegant package; thats what I like.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Well said, Ron, Wylon, and Ice!

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bob:

A near perfect LP08, 1918 dated, for 2000.00, is a buy even without a hold open, in my opinion.

Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
worldoftone
User

Great advice from all here. I can afford the higher-end pieces, but I LOVE to shoot, so I usually won't buy anything that I can't have fun with (or am too scared of messing up). I do respect the rare and oddball pistols and their owners, but I guess I'm just about the fun, not so much the investment. And the "all-matching" Lugers are appearing more and more.

- WO
worldoftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
newluger
User

Ron & Wylon, What you say makes a lot of sense. Finding a nice one is the fun of the hunt.
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have to agree that a luger missing one 2 digit part (particularly internal FP, HO, safety, etc) should go for 25% less than an all matching one, with a good chance that you can find the matching part. What number DWM HO do you need? Perhaps we can assist? TH
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Tom,
I inderstand your take on mismatched parts, but I would really be upset if I had a $2000 Luger and someone insisted that it was only worth $1500 because of a mismatched firing pin. That is just extreme. In my opinion, a Luger in nice original condition should not suffer a devalutation of more than $50 for a mismatched firing pin, holdopen, grips or magazine. These parts are subject to wear, breakage and/or field replacement and are just part of a reasonable history. I am getting increasingly frustrated with "purists" that insist that if a Luger is not 100% as issued, it is a shooter. That flies in the face of honest use and only encourages fakers to "upgrade" honest pieces to "all matching". If it truely is all matching, that is wonderful, but a mismatched internal part doesn't make it junk.
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ron, I agree that many lugers did come back from the wars with replacement parts, even to the extent of a top half from one gun and a lower from another. I doubt that you would want to pay as much for this later example as one that was "as originally issued". So IMHO, one with only one mismatch high breakage part, war trophy, is also not "aoi". It's just a matter of degree, like being a "a little bit pregnant". Either you are or you aren't. Years ago, I sold a 1917 LPO8 with a mismatched trigger, that I had had in my safe for 5 years looking for a match, @$750 when the market for a matching one was $1,000. I thought that this was fair to both me and the buyer. TH