LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
padredan
User

not sure if there was any difference between the alloy and the steel frame stoegers, but i do remember that those that owned the alloy framed ones had more problems ,alot more problems, like i said the one in the pictures was really only test fired if your read the story about it.
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
padredan
User

not sure where you are in texas, i do return home to harris county and the houston/ tomball area from time to time, if you are fairly close we might could meet and i could bring my mag and you could try it, but best you find yourself a new magazine.
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
texas yankee
User

I'm near Dallas, and thanks for the offer, but I agree with you that I just need to get a magazine and see how it goes - like I said, if the new magazine does the trick and the gun works at least somewhat reliably, I'll get another magazine and I'm a happy guy - if not, guess who has two Stoeger Lugers for sale? THIS GUY !!!
texas yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
LugerLust
New User

I would try this ammo. Works like a champ for me.
LugerLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
texas yankee
User

I'll pick up some of those - thanks for the suggestion.

I bought two magazines for my Stoeger Lugers from Bob's Gun Shop - they fit a lot better and they lock up in the magwell nice and tight - they have different, stronger springs than the two mags that came with the guns, so I think that they should work pretty well. I tried some function tests yesterday with the new mags, and the rounds seem to chamber and eject flawlessly - I'm anxious to see how they work when they're fired - have to wait till next weekend at the shooting lease.
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
texas yankee
User

Thanks Rick - I wasn't aware of the potential issue with a divot in the chamber - makes sense, and with these being older guns, I'll have to give the chamber a close look - what you've described is exactly what I was seeing with the old magazines, in addition to other problems - with the new mags the rounds appear to chamber correctly - I'll have to see how it goes with live fire this weekend.

One thing with these new mags - they lock in nice and tight - the older mags fit loose and I had constant problems with them falling out - if I made it a point to hold them in securely while I was firing, the gun cycled noticably better - so, I'm thinking that the new mags should give far superior performance when I get the guns out to the range.

Thanks again for the tip on the divit - I'm gonna check for that, too, before I head out to the range.
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
padredan
User

here are a few more pictures that you requested. If you tried the new mags and a good cleaning and polished the chamber you have done about all you can, lets face it these are not great guns ,maybe why they stopped selling them. good luck. this is a steel framed one and it started to jam right out of the box,
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
padredan
User

a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03258.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	27915  

Name:	DSC03267.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	27916  

Name:	DSC03251.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	27917  

Unread 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #29
padredan
User

Think these were made to jam, this one did right out of the box. It now rests deep in the back of one of the gun safes, i doubt it will ever be fired again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03220.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	27918  

Name:	DSC03225.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	27919  

Name:	DSC03243.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	27920  

Name:	00 216.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	27921  

Unread 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
I would surely counsel using the lightest loading that would function the pistol, otherwise excessive pounding of parts can occur. One might think that an alloyed framed pistol would be more prone to super hot loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
this pistol tends to like cci stingers, but it hasn't been fired with anything else. good luck.

STINGERS?! holy mackerel, these things are 40 gr and over 1600 fps...There is a correlation between firing less than a handful of these in three different Ermas with zinc uppers, and the front toggles that have broken--one on each gun. I'd even refrain from using them in any .22 auto pistol, unless directed by the mfgr., for fear of hammering the action against itself. These things definitely were not around when the Stoegers or Ermas were developed. Feed them what they were born to eat--standard velocity--or maybe less, if the springs are a little wussy. Mine have not snapped a toggle since I've stopped using anything perkier than CCI Minimag, and that is my absolute max. at 1230 fps.
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
texas yankee
User

Well guys, thanks for all the advice and the pictrures - much appreciated. After observing how the guns jammed with the original OEM magazines that I got with the guns when I purchased them, it looked like the mags weren't feeding correctly, so I picked up two new OEM mags - the guns performed a bit better with the new mags, but still jammed more than I was happy with, so I figured some feed lip adjustments would solve the problems - I learned pretty quickly that I don't have any capabilities when it comes to adjusting magazine feed lips. So, as of now, one of the mags (one of the new OEMs) works fairly well, and the other one is pretty much ruined and the two other original mags that came with the gun ar at a local gunsmith to see if he can work any magic with them.

I will probably sell the guns, or at least one of them - I just didn't wanna sell them like they were - kinda like staging a house so ya can get a few more bucks for it.

Keep ya'll posted . . .
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
texas yankee
User

Update - bottom line is that with the new (OEM) magazines, the guns perform pretty much the same as they used to - not the improvement and greater reliability that I had hoped for. I will probably keep one of the guns only because it's interesting to me - I'm really more interested in shooting than a project-that-never-ends gun.

Any suggestions on what'd be a fair asking price? Thanks for all of the help previously as I was learning about these guns.