, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> A day at the gun show - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-17-2001, 08:38 PM   #1
Hugh
RIP

Default A day at the gun show

Spent the day at the Houston Astrohall GS. MY FEET HURT! Not a lot of Lugers, but a good variety to choose from. Unfortunately, most of the owners were very proud of their wares. Would you believe a bunch of parts in a cigar box with the frame, reciever and bbl ground up with a dremel tool, all of the parts badly pitted, and he wouldn't budge off $300! I did pick up a Finnish Luger shooter with holster for $600, a very decent 1939 holster with an E63 tool in the pouch for $140, a copy of the book SYSTEM MAUSER autographed by one of the authors for $10, a pair of genuine stag Luger grips, two pair of nicely figured uncheckered walnut grips from the Nill reps who were at the show, a cut off artillery bbl. All in all a very enjoyable day. Sorry you didn't make it Jack.

Unread 11-17-2001, 09:02 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: A day at the gun show

Sounds like you did pretty gut Hugh! Sounds fun! Thor

Unread 11-19-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Patrick H

My day at the Upper Marlboro, Maryland Show was a bummer.

1. Tryed to buy the DWM Artillery, 1915 I was scheduled to see (previos message last week) for $1,500. Dealer says he paid $2,200-would therefore take $2,500--I declined the offer. All matching parts, I would say 90%, incorrect clip, no acessories>>> was I wrong?, any comments?

Along with that question I observed some other curiousities:

2. Saw a Navy DWM 1914 with only the Crown "M" on side of the frame and serial number front of frame---NO other numbered parts (none),--was ANY Luger ever made with NO numbered parts? At the asking price of $895 I figured it was not right for a Navy anyhow. Is it worth anything?? Any opinions.

3. Also saw a nice DWM 1940 Commercial all matching, all looked good--EXCEPT the barrel markings were extremely faint-- almost gone, you couldnt even read em--I can't imagine such a barell mark/s would have passed. Was I wrong?

4.I Did buy the Krieghoff Parabellum book by Gibson on Marvin's recommendation. He is right - even if you do not have a Krieghoff (and I don't) the book is filled with very detailed info on DWM,Mauser and Simson. Good overall Luger info. $60.00 to me but worthit--now I need a Krieghoff...but at this rate I'm not getting far with the collection.

Patrick H in Maryland

Unread 11-19-2001, 10:17 AM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Patrick H wrote: "...now I need a Krieghoff..."

Now we got'cha - you are hooked!!!

Unread 11-19-2001, 10:50 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Patrick,

Yea, I only have the one post-war Kreighoff assebled from the parts bin, but I consider it a Kreighoff since Gibson does have a section in his book. I told you this was great book even if you don't have a HK Luger. The information on the other major manufacturers is fantastic! Also, there is a very good section in the book on the "KU" Lugers. I have not gotten to that section in my reading yet, but getting close.

As to the Artillery, I still think the price was way to high for the pistol. Unless there was something unusual about it, it should be at approx. $1300-1500 max. in the condition and mis-matched mag. Did you ever look at Simpson's website at their prices vs. condition?

In your last posting about the strawed parts having the "blackish" color, this seems a little strange to me. Most of the Lugers I have with straw parts, and the straw is fading, they are just bright steel without any color in the faded areas. Unless the strawed parts had a surface rust which left the "blackish" color after cleaning, I don't know why they would be this way. Was there any slight pitting on these parts?

Marvin

Unread 11-19-2001, 11:17 AM   #6
Patrick H

Marvin--Im glad you agreed with my range of offer on the artillery. No pitting on the parts. In fact, they looked a little too good compared to the rest of the gun which concerned me. Funny that it was just the usually strawed parts. Would someone bother just replacing those parts since they may have corroded/pitted faster (or do they)?

What do you think of the faintly marked barrel I mentioned on the other DWM?