LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Big Chris
User

Default New to this Forum!

Hi to all P08 enthusiasts ! I am currently looking to purchase my 1st Luger. Locally there are not much at the local shows or gun dealers, so I have gone to the internet to search! After many hours of online eyestrain , I came across "SimpsonsLTD". They have a huge selection and seem to be a trustworthy family run business. I have tried to stay away from auction sites , although a good buy might be had there. I have narrowed my field to 1939-1942 production, and am interested in a full "Rig" , consisting of holster and matching magazines(at least one). I would appreciate any guidance here as prices vary wildly , I will probably shoot this occasionally , but more for a collector than a shooter! I have always been a WW2 junkie, since I was a kid over 50 yrs. ago. This has always been the missing piece in my collection and hopefully I make the right choice, with some advice from you!

Last edited by Edward Tinker; 01-29-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Big Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Simpson's are always very high priced. I feel you could do better by advertising to buy on the two Forums. Personally for me Simpsons would be my last choice. Welcome to the crazy world of luger collecting. It can and will be addictive. Bill
Unread 01-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

Welcome. A lot of people ask similar questions, if you browse old threads or search you'll find lots of good advice on first Lugers and sources.

Personally I try to steer new collectors to buy books and a shooter first for learning, with nicer example(s) down the road. You might try a WTB ad here, but the issue is for a nicer rig, it will be difficult for you to judge price quality etc. Good luck and let us know how your search goes.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 12-02-2021 at 01:49 PM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 01-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Read first. Buy later!

You can start with our forum's FAQ PDF reference document...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13121
Unread 01-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I made it so you can get notified when folks post here - WELCOME to the forum!

As said above, read through the forum, do searches for 1938 - 1939 - Mauser etc and see what it says. Be aware that one matching magazine will drive the price up $500+ - a matching holster is nice but remember that a year or two different would not be unexpected in the field - that said, I like to get the same year holster too - and of course a correct tool too.

read, think about a book or two (but be careful what you buy) and read some more.

When first looking, it seems like lugers are rare beasties, but they aren't, there are millions.

Also, shooting something that is going to cost $2000-$2500 could get costly if you break a part. What is the chance of that? Slim - but it happens - I've broken two breechblocks, although they were on shooter lugers.
My suggestion is to look for a shooter or a vopo WW2 era and have one to shoot.

Or, heck, just go for it and buy from Simpson's, they have a good rep, and I know Brad and Bob Simpson and they are honest. There are others that work there and you have folks who have had issues (very few) - There are other dealers, I know and trust Legacy Collectibles, but like I said, I am prejudiced, I know them. There are guys on the forum I have bought from on several occasions.
George Anderson comes across stuff, and might have something - he's a close friend and I trust him, although he likes WW1 stuff - so who knows if he has a WW2 era luger.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Big Chris
User

Thanks guys, your input will help me make the right choice!
Unread 01-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Eugen
User

Welcome, Big Chris! To reiterate what has been said above. Study the forum's FAQ section that has a wealth of info and buy a few references books to expand your knowledge. If you desire to shoot a Luger (as most do), buy a good functioning, non-matching Luger, aka a shooter. If you then want to expand your collection, you can acquire that all matching including the mag(s) later. We advise you accordingly because we do not like to hear grown men cry, and that is what you will do if you break a numbered part on a collector grade Luger.
I have purchased Lugers, parts, holsters, mags, tools, repair work, etc. from folks on this forum. Lastly folks are eager to answer your questions. They have certainly answered all my novice questions.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Big Chris
User

Thank you!
Unread 01-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
Big Chris
User

O.K. So I have searched the forum and have found a number of reference books on Lugers.
Which would be the best one to purchase for a novice?
Unread 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Chris,
Since you seem to have narrowed your field to 1939-42 your best bet would be "Third Reich Lugers" by Jan C. Still. It's out of print and has gotten very expensive, $300.00 or so, but worth every penny. Unlike most Luger reference books it's very readable.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Big Chris
User

Default Thanks Norm!

Yes $300. For a reference book is a lot. Maybe there’s something
Similar? A little less expensive? I’m sure this must be awesome, but
Seems a bit high , for me.☹️
Unread 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Books are great, and expensive books are greater, but I disagree on their importance. If you are interested in being an advanced collector focused on one era or maker, then OK, but for the gun nut that wants a nice Luger to own, fondle and occasionally shoot, expensive books are an expensive luxury.
Well, now that I've made all the authors mad...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
4 Scale
User

You can't go wrong with Still books.

Kenyon's Lugers At Random was recommended to me as a first book by an experienced collector, and it was good advice. It is a bit dated but has a lot of useful information. I got mine for $45 used.

The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946 by Hallock and van de Kant can be had used with some looking, I got one for $225. The overall best value IMO are the Gortz & Sturgess 3-book set, around $300 new.

I was short on time and patience and started with the Kenyon book and a collectible WWII era P 08 from Simpsons. No regrets and I still have and greatly enjoy the pistol.

Legacy has a 1940 P 08 with a matching magazine right now that IMO is fairly priced for a dealer pistol. https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...azine-129.html
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
The overall best value IMO are the Gortz & Sturgess 3-book set, around $300 new.

[/url]
This 3-book set is also available on DVD for about $35.00 as I recall... that might be worth looking into for a novice like yourself.

I also just found this set on ebay brand new! $199.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PISTOLE-PAR...uAS:rk:10:pf:0

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post: