LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-04-2001, 11:58 PM   #1
Steve
User

Default Cocking or not firing problem?

My pistol has developed a nasty habit. Often when I pull the trigger, nothing happens! Sometimes if I release the trigger it will fire on the second try.

At first I thought it might not be cocking but I think if this were the case, the firing pin would be in the forward position and the gun would go full auto. Is this correct?

That thought led me to believe it might simply not be releasing the firing pin. What parts should I look at as a cure?

Unread 11-05-2001, 12:24 AM   #2
Doug
User

Default Re: Cocking or not firing problem?

I would look at the fit of the side plate lever. It's the "L" shaped device mounted on the inside of the plate. I would guess that it needs to be properly fitted to your gun. You might also think about getting a new piece to replace it with. I am sure that some of the others will let me know if I am right. By the way is this a mis-match parts gun? Or a re-work??

Unread 11-05-2001, 12:29 AM   #3
Doug
User

Forgot to add, you might want to check for burrs on the sear engagement. Also does it do it all the time? I sometimes find that I don't always release the trigger fully before pulling it again. The trigger has to go fully forward in order to cycle again. You might also check your trigger return spring.

Unread 11-05-2001, 01:44 AM   #4
Thor
User

I had one do that to me the other day, I found that I didnt have the trigger installed properly and it was not moving all the way backwards, when I had just the bottom half to look at, the trigger wasnt moving the trigger lever enough, reinstalled the trigger and fixed the problem! This triggers can move side to side, so that MIGHT be a possible cause. Good luck! Thor

Unread 11-05-2001, 05:07 AM   #5
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

I agree with both Thor and Doug.

I would just like to add that the gun will not go full auto if the firing pin not is hooked up by the sear.

That is cause the hit on the primer will be to weak.

And however you are curing the problem please dont touch the engagement betwen the firing pin and the sear as those ALWAYS should be untoched.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

Unread 11-05-2001, 09:37 AM   #6
tom h

Steve, I agree with those above who suggested replacing the trigger lever in your side place with one that has a lessor interior angle. If your lever is original, DON"T ATTEMPT TO BEND IT, as it will break before it will bend. I do have unhardened repros available @$20 that you can bend if you want to experiment with it, or originals @$30, but would have to see your original, in order to send you the correct one. The reason that you luger is firing on the second try, is that the trigger release must allow the trigger lever to come all the way back into the sideplate, to allow the disconnector (plunger in the trigger bar) to go under it for the next shot. Tom h.

Unread 11-05-2001, 07:16 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Hi Steve,

Assuming the piece is all original (i.e. matching), in my experience the most common cause of the problem you are experiencing is a worn sear bar plunger. Inspect this part carefully, looking to see if the surface of the sear bar plunger against which the trigger lever bears is worn. If it is, the cure is a replacement sear bar plunger.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 11-05-2001, 08:24 PM   #8
Steve
User

I will try removing the side plate and trigger and reassembling them tonight. It shows up when I dry fire using snap caps so if that is all it takes, I will count myself lucky.

Unread 11-06-2001, 01:45 AM   #9
Steve
User

Default Further testing

I had a chance to do a bit more testing. If I remove the side-plate and press on the forward end of the Sear Bar, it fires every time. One question answered and one step closer to solving the problem. Everyone has been very helpful to this novice.