LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-19-2001, 07:08 PM   #1
Duane Rowland

Default .30 Luger vs. .30 Mauser

I'm under the impression that .30 Luger and .30 Mauser are different rounds, with different lengths, cases, and charges. Is this so? If it is, can anyone give me a metric measurement for each? Also: Is the .30 Mauser round the same one the soviet block used in their pistols like the CZ-52 and tokarev?

I'm trying to find out how hard it'll be to get ammo for a Broomhandle Mauser, and what I can substitute for .30 Mauser if I need to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Duane.

Unread 08-19-2001, 08:13 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: .30 Luger vs. .30 Mauser (EOM)

Unread 08-19-2001, 08:16 PM   #3
Thor
User

Default Re: .30 Luger vs. .30 Mauser

Well, Kyrie is one of our resident experts in Broomies, but the 30 Mauser is quite a bit hotter than the 30 Luger. The Luger is around 22 mm long and the Mauser is 25 mm long. I think it is the same round used(the Mauser) in the Soviet weapons. I think the Mauser is easier to get than the Luger round. Good luck and I am sure Kyrie will answer this as well! ~Thor~

Unread 08-19-2001, 08:17 PM   #4
miner
User

.30 Luger and .30 Mauser (aka 7.63 Mauser) are NOT interchangeable cartridges. The only commercial manufacture that I know of who currently produces .30 Mauser ammo is Fiocchi (and it can be difficult to find). The Old Western Scrounger sells Milsurp .30 Mauser (berdan & corrosive) and sometimes has the Fiocchi (boxer & non-corrosive). Now to make things more confusing for you...the 7.62x25 Tokerav cartridges are nearly identical dimensionly as .30 Mauser, BUT they are generally considered TOO HOT for the old C96 Broomhandles (DANGEROUS). Ammoman.com also has Fiocchi .30 Mauser at times. If you plan to do a lot of C96 shooting, I'd advise getting setup to reload, as components are readily available.

Unread 08-19-2001, 08:28 PM   #5
BobL

First, the CZ-52 etc. takes a 7.62x25 round.

Second, the .30 Luger is 1.175" LOA, Bullet Dia. is .308 - .310 (7.65x30 Parabellum)

Third, the .30 Mauser is 1.381" LOA, Bullet Dia. is .309 - .311 (7.63x35 Mauser)

I don't believe the three are compatible.

Unread 08-19-2001, 08:56 PM   #6
Kyrie
User

Hi Duane,

The only similarities between the 7.65 Parabellum and the 7.63 Mauser are both use bullets of .309 diameter and they share the same case head dimensions. Other than that, they are completely different cartridges and are not interchangeable. If you would like to see the differences, so to the Ownersâ?? Corner, page down until you find the â??Kyrieâ? folders, and take a look at the 1923 Commercial photos. One photo contains both cartridges so they can be compared side by side.

Regarding your question, "Is the .30 Mauser round the same one the soviet block used in their pistols like the CZ-52 and tokarev?", the short answer is â??Use only ammunition which is head stamped "7,63 Mauser" or ".30 Mauser" in a C96 chambered for the 7.63 Mauser. And even then use caution, as there is a lot of very old 7,63 Mauser out there. After all, itâ??s been in production for over 100 years.â?

In the event you might be interested, here is a very much longer answer.

"Yes, but it may not be safe to fire in a C96 Mauser".

Don't you just love clear and unambiguous answers The long answer requires a little history...

The Imperial Russians fell in love with both the 7.63 Mauser cartridge (aka .30 Mauser) and the Mauser Military Pistol, and were one of Mauser's best customers for same. The October Revolution did not change this fondness for the C96 and the 7.63 Mauser cartridge (it is said a C96 was one of the firearms used in the murder of the Tzar and the Royal Family), and both pistol and cartridge remained in general use in the early years of Communist rule.

In the late 1920's, the Soviets made the decision to replace the standard issue Model 1895 Nagant revolver with a self-loading pistol. A requirement for this new pistol was that it be chambered for the 7.63 Mauser cartridge and the pistol selected in the 1928-1929 pistol trials was the Tokarev pistol.

Upon adoption, Tokarev's pistol was designated the "TT-30" and its cartridge was designated the "7.62 Tokarev Pistol". The TT-30 design was modified in the 1931-1932 time frame to simplify production, and this modified pistol was designated the "TT-33".

This is a subject covered by Fred Datig in his â??Soviet Russian Tokarev â??TTâ?? Pistols and Cartridges 1929 - 1953â?.Here is a quotation from page 131 that may be of some interest, â??As has been mentioned in Chapter Four, to quote, â??in 1929, the designers Korovin and Prilutskiy converted (redesigned) their (prototype) pistols to the 7.62mm caliber caliber cartridge (after) the Artillery Committee proposed developing them for the 7.63mm caliber Mauser (pistol cartridge â?¦â?

â??Except for that which one may consider manufacturing tolerances, the 7.62 mm Tokarev and the 7.63 Mauser pistol cartridges are relatively identical and interchangeable.â?

This has also been covered in Janeâ??s â??Ammunition Handbookâ? thusly:

â??7.62 x 25 mm

Synonym. 7.62 mm Tokarev; 7.62 Soviet pistol; Russian; 0.30 Mauser; 7.63 x 25mm

Armament

Tokarev TT33 automatic pistol; various obsolete Soviet sub-machine guns (PPD, PPSH, PPS); Chinese Type 85sub-machine gun and Type 80 pistol. Most pistols and steel sub-machine guns chambered for the 7.63 mm Mauser cartridge will probably operate satisfactorily with this round and vice versa.

Development

This cartridge actually began life as the 7.63 mm Mauser automatic pistol cartridge. It was taken into use by the Russian forces in the early 1900s and the pistol remained popular with the Bolshevik armies, one model being produced specifically for the Soviet As a result manufacture of the Mauser cartridge began in Russia, and when in due course the Tokarev automatic pistol was developed, it was designed around the Mauser cartridge. For manufacturing convenience the barrel of the Tokarev was 7.62 mm calibre, thus the Soviet cartridge lost its Mauser designation and became known as the 7.62 mm Tokarev. The dimensional differences between the Soviet round and the original Mauser specifications are minute and largely due to the manufacturing processes. It can therefore be expected that any weapon originally using the Mauser cartridge will work with the Soviet pattern and vice versa. This cartridge has been manufactured in China and various countries of the former Warsaw Pact, but always to the Soviet specification. The Chinese pattern (below) is stated to be for the automatic pistols Type 54 sub-machine guns and Type 80 and for the Type 85 light sub-machinegun. Like the 7.63 x 25 mm cartridge from which derived, the 7.62 x 25 mm performs very well against 7.62 soft body armour and light metal, such as automobile bodies.

Description

The case is rimless and bottlenecked. The standard ball bullet is round-nosed and lead cored with a steel jacket.

Specifications Ball Type P

Round length: 34.56 mm

Round weight (nominal)- 10.65 g

Case length: 25.14 mm

Rim diameter: 9.91 mm

Bullet diameter, 7.82 mm

Bullet weight: 5.57 g

Muzzle velocity: 505 m/s

Muzzle energy: 709 J

Abridged ballistic table: 7.62mm Tokarev, 5.57g ball

Range Velocity Energy

0 m 505 M/S 709 J

10m 500 M/8 695 J

25m 496 mls 684 J

50 m 485 m/s 654 J�

So the answer is "yes, the 7.63 Mauser and the 7.62x25 are the same cartridge".

But that's isn't the end of the story. While the 7.63 Mauser and the 7.62x25 cartridge are the same cartridge, it may *not* be safe to fire any kind of milsurp 7.62x25 in a C96 and it may *not* be safe to fire all kinds of 7.62x25 ammunition in a Tokarev pistol. Here is why.

Eastern European Military 7.62x25

Most Eastern European military 7.62x25 is loaded to approximately the same pressures as the 7.63 Mauser cartridge and *may* be safe to fire in a C96 which is in sound mechanical shape. But there are several problems. Chief among these problems is determining if a specific C96 is sound. I highly recommend that anyone who has a C96 which they wish to fire have it checked out by either Mentor Arms or Briklee trading company. If problems are found have them corrected, or hang the pistol over the mantle.

Even if a C96 is in shootable shape, there are potential problems with milsurp ammunition. Ammunition may be sold as surplus for a number of reasons. 7.62x25 ammunition of recent manufacture which has been sold just because it was in excess of current or anticipated need is generally fine to fire in a C96. But ammunition which has been sold because it was overage or had become unreliable due to improper storage should *not* be considered safe to shoot in any firearm, especially a C96. Such ammunition may generate pressures that are excessive in any handgun. We have had reports of Eastern European milsurp 7.62x25 ammunition developing muzzle velocities well in excess of what one would normally expect from 7.62x25 (with some reported muzzle velocities in excess of 1600 fps!). This is a strong indicator this ammunition is unsafe to fire, regardless of the firearm.

So the problem here is that it is usually impossible to tell *why* ammunition was sold off. It is possible to make an educated guess at why a specific lot of ammunition was sold as milsurp by considering the country of origin and the head stamp date. But remember that this is, at best, a guess. My best advice is don't shoot any ammunition in any pistol if you have any doubts about the condition of either.

Czech 7.62x25 ammunition

The Czech ammunition may be a special case. It is reported In Ezellâ??s â??Small ares of the Worldâ? that the Czech â??M48â? ammunition loaded specifically for the Vz-52 pistol was â??20% hotterâ? than the standard Soivet M30 7.62x25. It is not known how much of this ammunition may have been produced, whether all Czech 7.62x25 ammunition made between 1952 and 1955 was loaded to this higher pressure, or what all of the head stamps applied to this ammunition may be.

Itâ??s not even known for sure that any Czech M48 ammunition actually exists. The only M48 to which I can find a reference in Czech sources is an experimental 9 m/m Luger cartridge, intended for use in a pistol that never advanced past the prototype stage. In the absence of solid information, use of Czech ammunition in any pistol other than the Czech Vz-52 is probably a bad idea.

ChiCom 7.62x25 ammunition

The ChiCom 7.62x25 ammunition is a little different story. The vast majority of the ammunition is not "military surplus" in the normal sense of the phrase. Rather it is current military production ammunition which has been sold commercially for hard currency. As such, it would usually be considered safe to fire in any pistol chambered for the 7.62x25 or the 7.63 Mauser, providing that the pistol in question was in sound mechanical condition.

But there is a fly in this ointment too. I have found the ChiCom 7.62x25 to be inconsistent in terms of recoil and muzzle blast (and by implication, chamber pressure). The vast majority of the rounds of Chicom 7.62x25 I've fired were indistinguishable from 7.63 Mauser. But every once in a while there will be a round with an unusually large muzzle flash and a perceptibly higher felt recoil. If this muzzle flash/felt recoil do indicate a higher pressure, these rounds might well damage a C96.

Mentor Arms (which does a lot of C96 rehab work) used the Chicom ammunition to test fire their pistols and recommended its use up until a year or two ago. They stopped doing so when they began receiving pistols sent in for repair which had been damaged by the Chicom ammunition. Mentor now recommends that ChiCom ammunition *not* be used in C96â??s.

That's the story, and I'm sorry to be so long winded. The bottom line to all of this comes in 3 parts:

1) the 7.63 Mauser and the 7.62x25 cartridges may be considered interchangeable,

2) while most Eastern European military 7.62x25 is suitable for use in a C96 Mauser, some is not, and

3) it can be next to impossible to tell the difference between which 7.62x25 ammunition is suitable for the C96 and which is not.

My bottom line recommendation is to fire only ammunition which is head stamped "7,63 Mauser" or ".30 Mauser" in a C96 chambered for the 7.63 Mauser. And even then use caution, as there is a lot of very old 7,63 Mauser out there. After all, itâ??s been in production for over 100 years

If anyone is interested, the following sources provide information on either/both the TT pistols and the 7.62x25 cartridge:

"Small Arms of the World", Ezell

"Pistols of the World", Ezell

â??Soviet Russian Tokarev â??TTâ?? Pistols and Cartridges 1929-1953â?, Fred Datig

Janeâ??s â??Ammunition Handbookâ?

Arenâ??t you glad we all took up the simple hobby of old firearms ?

Regards,

Kyrie

Unread 08-20-2001, 12:44 AM   #7
Chip
User

Whew!!! Man that was good, Kyrie. I own both a M96 Broom, and a CZ-52. As I have been reloading ammo for the better part of 45 years, I don't uselly fool with factory ammo. Starline makes excellent 30 Mauser brass, and I cast a 96 grain bullet. And then I take both guns to the range and shoot the same ammo in both of them. They both work fine with my reloads, and are a lot of fun to shoot.

Unread 08-20-2001, 01:02 PM   #8
miner
User

Default Link to OWS's Fiocchi .30 Mauser ammo...

Here's a link to the Old Western Scrounger's catalog page for Fiocchi .30 Mauser (7.63) ammo at $22.88 per box...

Old Western Scrounger - Fiocchi .30 Mauser Ammo
Unread 08-20-2001, 06:19 PM   #9
Doug
User

Default I have Fiocchi .30 Mauser

I have several boxes price is $18 ea. plus shipping.

Unread 08-22-2001, 10:28 AM   #10
Duane Rowland

Kyrie-

Thanks for the accurate and exhaustive reply. I think I understand the .30 Mauser round quite a bit more than I had a few days ago. That's one of the things I love about this forum... You folks are so helpful and knowledgeable.

I don't have my Mauser yet, but when I get it, I'll rest assured that I have a fairly accurate and authoritative picture of the ammo for it.

Thanks again!

-Duane.