LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 09-12-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
Robert McCrory
User

Post .30 DWM Value?

I just bought a .30 DWM with 3 5/8" barrel for $450. Numbers matching, no number on wood mag plug, grips clear and fairly sharp, blue about 95%, straw about 95% present but faded or weak. Bore is bright. No date on it. Value and any info much appreciated.

Robert McCrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Herb
User

Bob, based upon what you have provided it might be a 1920 or 1923 commercial model and in very good condition would bring around $1,000 to $1,150. Not a whole lot if info to go on for pricing.
Unread 09-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Hello Bob, sounds like you did okay.

To give a better guess from others, can you provide further information and pictures? Proofs, serial number, etc.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
Robert McCrory
User

Further info: I must correct barrel length which is 97mm or a tad over 3 3/4". S/N is 48xx. Below s/n on front of frame is tiny wording GERMANY. Marks are tiny Crowned N in several places, left side of chamber, above bbl s/n, breech block left forward of toggle pin and what looks like a script n below bbl s/n and frame s/n.
DWM in script monogram on forward toggle. Geladen on extracter when loaded, and Gesichert on safety. I assume this to be an export pistol based on the Germany mark. It must not have been for North America due loaded and safe marks in German. Also, finish is not as good as other commercials I have seen, visible light tool marks in various places. This is my second Luger. The descriptions are accurate but the opinion is only guestimate. Your input much appreciated.

Unread 09-13-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Robert, your Luger is a commercial DWM made in the early to mid 1920's for export. I had one in the "n" block that was seemingly made from all new components as I suspect yours is. Some of the DWM commercial Lugers from that period were reportedly made from surplus parts left over from the war or a combination of surplus and new parts. That's not to say that the surplus parts weren't new-old stock.... only that they were made during the war. There are also commercial export pistols made during that time period that were re-worked military guns such as the Erfurt I have in .30 caliber.

The Finnish contract pistols were made by DWM and taken from the same run of production. The one I had was in the (lower case) "L" block. Note that the serial number includes the lower case letter "n" as found on your frame but that the last two numbers of your serial number are stamped UNDER the locking block (take down lever) and side plate in the commercial manner. The serial number is military-style while the placement of the serial numbers is commercial.

As to estimated value, your pistol is thought to be the most common garden-variety Luger ever made and has the least collector interest. That's the not-so-good news. Even so, it's worth much more than you paid and in private sale you'd likely get $700 - $800 for it. If you'll go to Simpson's website at: http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.htm and click on "Luger Room" and then "DWM Lugers", you'll find half a dozen pistols just like yours for $895. Simpson's generally gets top dollar for their guns and in private sale you'd likely get a little less.

If your estimates of remaining finish and condition are accurate, you made an excellent purchase for $450. I have not been without at least one of that type since 1966 and they are one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2002, 01:54 PM   #6
Robert McCrory
User

Thanks for info. I'm wondering if same info applies more or less for my DWM 9mm s/n 22xx, dated 1920, 100mm bbl, in about same condition blue but much better straw. Has 1941 holster and two mags with aluminum end plugs s/n match to the gun. Unit ID on gun, Pw B, I'm told, is for Bavaria Police. Got both of these in last month out of separate estates at about the same price. 9mm will be my shooter due exorbitant price of .30 ammo. Thanks agn. Robert

Unread 09-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Robert McCrory:
<strong>Thanks for info. I'm wondering if same info applies more or less for my DWM 9mm s/n 22xx, dated 1920, 100mm bbl, in about same condition blue but much better straw. Has 1941 holster and two mags with aluminum end plugs s/n match to the gun. Unit ID on gun, Pw B, I'm told, is for Bavaria Police. &lt;Snip&gt; Robert</strong><hr></blockquote>

Robert, I'm not the best person to ask about the value of your police pistol. But, I can tell you that it is worth considerably more than the .30 caliber pistol. Does it still have one or both of the sear and magazine safeties? The holster and serially matching mags (numbered 1 & 2 on the bases as police mags should be) plus the presence or absence of the two safeties will make a big difference.

If you want a shooter Luger, buy one that shooting won't hurt the value of. Your police Luger sounds too nice to shoot and it will be worth much more if left as-is. Just my opinion.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
Robert McCrory
User

I don't know about the safeties question. The 9mm and the .30 are identical except for caliber and barrel length. I examined the 9mm again and can add re marks: 3 tiny spreadeagles with what looks like a word or maybe 5 letters below in a semi circle "U" overall 4mm high located left of chamber. Same eagle 1 oclock top of bbl 11 mm forward of flange to receiver, eagle only probably poorly struck, script "a" below s/ns on bbl and frame. Below bbl s/n tiny number 883, half the height of the s/n figures. Never noticed that before. Mags have full s/n but no other marks. Holster is obviously WWII and has tiny eagle with swastika in circle below stamped below date 1941 on back. Owner was WWII vet but not known to have been in Germany, known to have had the pistol back into the '50s, maybe before. That's about all I can think of to offer. Hope it helps.