LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-14-2001, 02:13 AM   #1
Darell

Default Holster strap to remove pistol

Does any one know how the pistol removal strap was actually used? Does it get pushed down by the trigger guard, which leaves about 3" to 4" of strap to curl up inside the holster or is the barrel used to push the strap down?

Unread 02-14-2001, 06:31 AM   #2
Mavin

Default Re: Holster strap to remove pistol

Darell,

The trigger guard is supposed to push the strap down when the pistol is inserted into the holster.

To use the strap with the pistol in the holster, open the flap, pull the end on the body and the pistol will lift up enough to grab hold of the butt.

To me this is almost useless as it takes 3 hands to open the flap, hold it open, pull the stap and hold it, then with the third hand, grab the pistol. maybe it works well if you get used to it.

Marvin

Unread 02-14-2001, 10:49 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Three hands indeed Marvin

But as a former career soldier I can speculate that the holster for the Luger was designed primarily for storage to protect the weapon from the drudgery of combat and not to make it readily available to it's owner.

In any situation where the use of a personal sidearm might be anticipated, be assured that the weapon is already in the owner's hand with a round in the chamber and your thumb on the safety. This would be particularly true with the P-08 and it's super-protective holster. As it was also true on those few occasions where the possible use of my 1911A1 was anticipated during my 20 years of active duty. It was my closest friend on several occasions which still bring goose-bumps to the back of my neck.

When I have used a P-08 holster, I have found that familiarity with it's operation is your best friend when it comes to it's convenient use. It is a sort of a lift the flap with the right hand, pull the strap with the left hand (which raises the pistol and holds open the flap) and take the pistol with the right hand movement...

As the punchline to the old joke where the young man carrying a musical instrument case asks an elderly gentleman on the street "how do you get to Carnegie Hall?" and the reply is "Practice! Practice!"

Check out the photo from the cover of Fred Datig's book that is on the markings page of our web site and that is the true position of the soldiers best friend. In the hand.

-John

Unread 02-14-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Marvin, I'm guessing there were no quick draw Luger owners

Unread 02-14-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
Patrick
User

Default Re: Marvin, I'm guessing there were no quick draw Luger owners

... if you think that needs three hands, try setting up the LP 08 with the stock and the snail drum mag on a cold dark night. The war would be over long before you�´re finished.

Unread 02-14-2001, 03:16 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default To further illustrate my point about readiness,

I have to go along with there not being many quick draw experts with Luger rigs. Probably won't see them in cowboy action types of competition anytime soon...

There are quite a few holsters that were sadly "improved" to make the pistol easier to draw. The result was of course a ruined holster with little if any benefit.

Bob

Unread 02-14-2001, 03:55 PM   #8
bill m
User

Default Re: Marvin, I'm guessing there were no quick draw Luger owners

There are actual German holsters that have had a portion of the front of the holster cut down in a half cirle pattern. These were done by the Germans, and I would guess it was to get at the pistol faster. With the front flap closed you can not tell they have been cut, but when you lift the front flap, you can see the cut, starting at the magazine pouch and running in a half cirlcle pattern back up to where the stock lug is on the pistol. Most of these were not done by the GI's. I guess this is a form of quick draw.

Unread 02-14-2001, 06:23 PM   #9
mac

Default Proper use of P08 holster

Someone once wrote to me about the proper use of the luger

holster as they had seen it in an original manual (so they claimed). Unbuckle the holster. The luger in holster was to be raised so it was 90 degrees from rest (perpendicular to your body). Then pull up on the strap so the luger is pushed toward you. You then remove the luger. This procedure emphasizes the holster as a case (much like a backpack) for storage and not a part of a combat system. I have seen several photos and films of soldiers in combat zones and the lugers are often in the hand of the soldier. The luger is holstered in photos of some Pak38 and MG34 crews (I suspect because they are moving heavy equipment around and possibly not in imminent threat situations) and antiaircraft artillery crews (no close threat).

That said, why do US GI's rarely appear with the leg tie around their leg. It almost always dangles unattached. I would think it would be more comfortable and would not get in the way if tied down.

dave

Unread 02-14-2001, 06:59 PM   #10
BILL
User

Default Holsters and lanyards

One of the more impressive Luger photos that sticks in my mind is soldier who has either been knocked down or fallen down on a city sidewalk and is in the process of getting back up. His Luger is hanging down from a lanyard around his neck. With the Luger in the holster it was hard to get at and with it tied around your neck you can use both hands if you have to without fear of losing your pistol and still be able to find it easily enough. I have a feeling there were more lanyards used than we see in the hands of collectors today. Actually, they are quite a collector item in and of themselves.