LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-10-2001, 09:24 PM   #1
Jim Foster

Default Handy Cleaning Tip

I just cleaned up my 1915 DWM, and decided that the firing pin looked a little "grungy." It would not clean up with Break-Free CLP, so I polished it with a little "Flitz." The effect was amazing, and the pin looks factory-new.

This should not be as any surprise, as Flitz is made in Western Germany. Perhaps earlier luger owners used a similar polishing compound on their lugers!

Unread 02-10-2001, 09:31 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Handy Cleaning Tip

Good tip, use caution where you apply that polishing compound though, as it an abrasive and it will remove bluing and strawing. It is great stuff for shiny bare surfaces though. Again, not cool if you leave it on your hands or in your eyes.

Unread 02-10-2001, 10:58 PM   #3
Doug
User

Bill, I would like to make a clarification on your statement. Flitz will remove COLD blue only it will actually show up blue on the cloth. Brown on the cloth is rust. It will not remove hot blue unless you really use it alot. I have polished a Colt python and it looked great.

Unread 02-11-2001, 02:19 PM   #4
BILL
User

Doug, I tend to steer away from any products that leave any bluing on the cloth (just call it superstition or something). BILL

Unread 02-11-2001, 06:24 PM   #5
Doug
User

Yes, but it is also a very bood way to find out if cold blue was ever used on a gun. It is also good to use to remove dip blue from some of the Russian capture guns. Keep in mind that if blue shows up on the cloth then it is cold blue touch-up anyway and not desireable.

Unread 02-14-2001, 06:53 PM   #6
BILL
User

My humblest apologies! I just pulled out what I thought was Flitz and it is actually Simichrome Polish. I don't know why I got the two mixed up in my mind. Apparently Flitz is advertized as being a good 'polishing' compound for gun bluing. I looked at their web page and they even offer a power polisher (I think it attaches to a saber saw). Might not be so bad, but..I tend to go with the tried and true. Clenzoil and a light coating of Rig (been working great for many years, no rust, no blue on the guncloth). Sorry about the confusion.