LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-16-2001, 03:12 PM   #1
Walt J.
User

Default Luger lanyard

Can anyone give me a briefÃ?Â*description of a Luger lanyard? Got a guy trying to sell me one, but it looks virtually identical to my Swedish Lahti. Can't find a decent picture in my reference books, so would appreciate any information.

Thanks much........Walt

Unread 02-16-2001, 03:46 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Luger lanyard

Walt,

I am not going to be much help, but I have never seen an original Luger lanyard. The picture in Still's "Third Reich Luger" does not show it up good enough to tell. I have read that the Cavalry had them early on and then stopped using them. They were not used much in the Third Reich era. Be careful on this. You may want to call Ralph Shattuck and see if he may be of help to you.

Marvin

Unread 02-16-2001, 04:26 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default I will have a Portugese Lanyard in a couple of weeks

Courtesy of Patrick. When I get it I will post a picture or scan of it.

Haven't ever seen one myself before...

Unread 02-16-2001, 05:13 PM   #4
BILL
User

Default Re: I will have a Portugese Lanyard in a couple of weeks

I have seen Luger lanyards and there are different styles. I know the one I am most familiar with was attached to a WWII Bulgarian and it was made of leather and instead of being a flat strap was round in diameter (about the size of a pencil at it's widest but tapered down smaller). There is a fellow here is the US who makes reproductions that are virtually identical to the originals (the major difference is cost). There were different lanyards issued for cavalry, motorcycle squads, foot soldiers, etc. Longer ones for around the neck and shorter ones that attached to the belt.

Unread 02-16-2001, 05:59 PM   #5
bcc

Default Re: Luger Lanyards

I have been unable to find any evidence that there was such an animal as a standard issue Luger Lanyard. I have a round,brown leather laynard with a brass swivil clip and a couple of leather keepers that allow adjustment of the loop size. It was given to me 20 years ago in Germany by my lanlord who said that it was his father's P.08 Lanyard (snur) in WWII. I have no reason to doubt that it was but I don't think that it or any other supposedly real one I have seen were military issue. I believe that most German military personnel who used them in either of the wars, bought them from military affects suppliers or fashioned them for themselves. My laynard may have been originally for a Reichs Revolver or WWI era Luger (hence the brass, which is uncommon on WWII era German fittings). The leather is very high quality as is the type of stich braiding and it would have no problem lasting into WWII and is still very serviceable. I have seen the web "P.38" laynards offered and don't know if the are good or not, but think they may be....most are between $200 and $300 now. I am less convinced of the black leather, flat strap lanyards that tend to have nickle plated fittings and some have ink stamped Waffenamts. I feel that unlike holsters, loading tools and spare mags that were issued with the pistol... the laynard were up to the person or perhaps in some cases units to provide and were not standard or even widespread.

Unread 02-16-2001, 10:42 PM   #6
Walt J.
User

Appreciate it, guys.

This lanyard is double strapped round leather, about 3Ã?Â*feet long with a leather adjusting ring. No brass orÃ?Â*metal of anyÃ?Â*kind. Truely, could come from anything, so I'll save my bucks for something I'm certain of.

Thanks much.

Unread 02-17-2001, 05:01 AM   #7
Patrick
User

The Luger Lanyard is an item that I�´ve been looking for for a number of years. Goertz, Still and Reckedorf all quote a number of Army and Police Orders on the lanyard. Reckendorf says that he has a number of different models. None of them are stamped and there is no proof that they are original.Ex-Wehrmacht soldies say that they used any type of strap available as a lanyard.The round Portuguese bootlace type with an attachment strap and brass button could well be a copy of the original German lanyard - but maybe it isn�´ t. My father had a Luger lanyard that he had custom made by a saddler - and this seems to have been the general practise for officers.It was roughly the same as the one in Kenyon. Patrick

Unread 02-17-2001, 09:16 AM   #8
Marvin
User

I think Patrick has "hit the nail on the head" with his answer. I have never seen were a lanyard was an issue item to any WWII Luger or P.38. If a soldier wanted one, he had it made for his use. Maybe some of the sporting goods dealers in Germany had them in stock and probably were available to anyone who wanted one. As many American family members have done, and the German Soldiers family did was to buy these little "extras" for their family as gift.

I don't think the lanyard was a big item with any army except the British, they always strapped everything to themselves. Were their soldiers prone to losing stuff, Ha, Ha? Anyway, the German or American soldiers rarely used lanyards in combat and this is why they are rare , and I feel a private purchase item.

Marvin

Unread 02-17-2001, 12:03 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default ROFLMAO.... :D

> Were their soldiers prone to losing stuff, Ha, Ha?

Being half Britsh... I found this VERY funny... it evoked Pythonesque scenes in my mind!!! Thank you for the good laugh today!

Dok

Unread 02-17-2001, 02:31 PM   #10
RET
User

Default Lanyard conspiracy theory?

Hmmm... what about the Australians and the Canadians? Think of ficticious Sgt Preston of the RCMP: lanyards everywhere. It does give one pause... ;-)

(PS. No offense to Patrick or any other British or Commonwealth military folks)

Unread 02-19-2001, 04:30 AM   #11
Patrick
User

Default Re: Lanyard conspiracy theory?

Self-esteem is one of our least worries. Patrick