LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
30yr32
New User

Question ground off stock lug

I have my grandfathers 1916 artillery luger. He was a Detroit police officer from 1927-1957. The story goes that there was a law passed sometime in the 30's that required the stock lug to be ground off so it could not mount a stock. I do believe the pistol was carried as his personal side arm while on duty. He and dad are long gone so I have no way to verify the story. Has anyone heard of this law? Is it possible to replace it? Where can a new Artillery barrel be bought? This one is shot out and corroded. Time to make it serviceable again. Thanks for any help.
30yr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Malcolm P.
User

There was actually never any such law passed, but many people thought that Lugers with stock lugs violated the National Firearms Act and "butchered" their Lugers accordingly. ATF long ago classified Navy and/or Artillery Lugers with stocks as curios and they are not illegal, though possession of a stock with a non-Artillery or non-Navy Luger may be considered possession of a unregistered short-barrel rifle.

It is possible to have the stock lug replaced and otherwise restore it. Contact Thor. I believe the quote I got for a stock lug restoration was $250.00 that would be done by someone else. Then Thor can do the refinishing work. I am sure Thor can put you in contact with someone with for a new artillery barrel. He can engrave numbers to match the original receiver and make it look virtually brand new.

Good luck with the restoration.
Malcolm P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
Malcolm P.
User

Oh..before you replace the barrel, look into having it rebored. I have been told you can reline a 9mm with a new 9mm insert and that does not detract as much from collectibility as simply replacing the barrel.
Malcolm P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with Malcomb. Look into having your present barrel relined. I do have the lug portion of the PO8 rear grip strap available @$25 each. TH
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Thor
User

The stock lug addition includes not only the stock lug portion purchase amount but cutting of the frame and careful realining and welding. Stock lug additions through my shop will be subbed out to Neil Keller who does a terrific job on them. I have seen his cutting and welding work on half a dozen Lugers and it is first rate. I am working on a 1900 AE Luger that someone ground the back strap FLAT and then ground the back of a stock lug FLAT and soldiered and pinned the lug on the frame. This is NOT a good way to add one to a gun. On this particular gun, the variation should NOT have a lug so I am taking it off during the restoration. We have to build the frame strap back to shape and it is a bear to get this right. We have just about got it done though.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
30yr32
New User

Thank you all for your input. Hopefully I can get this restored for my son who is the 4th generation in 75+ years to own this luger.
30yr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Ted, not to dissuade you, and restoring it would be cool, it is also the family history that it isn't restored.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Thor
User

Very true Ed!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote