LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
A.Mifsin
User

Default Unusual Lugers’ variations

It is not common during my collecting days that I met a Luger that I would consider it as a mismatched Luger because some parts do not match with the rest of the gun. Among varies books I read about Lugers, there is nearly always a chapter about the Unusual Lugers that were produced.
Example of this is in chapter 21 in the book “The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946 “.
To my lack of experience, If I met one of these Lugers, probably I would classification it as a mismatched Luger.
If I may ask, what does it take to make a mismatched Luger a desirable Luger instead of a shooter?

Alf.
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I can think of two things: 1) If it is a very rare variation (a 1900 Bulgarian comes to mind) or 2) If it is a known factory error, special production or experimental model.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
A.Mifsin
User

Thank you Ron, if it is a rare variation I agree, but how can you say it is a factory error? For example if the barrel is replaced, who knows when it was replaced or a side plate, toggle changed. Those unusual Lugers, that we talk so much about, could they be modified after they left the factory? If there is some sort of documentation than it is understood, otherwise it is the opinion of the more experienced Collectors I think.
Alf.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Alf,
You are correct. I indicated a known factory error which should have documentation or other solid provenance.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
tau-delt
User

Alf.... I would agree that is some cases it is an opinion but that opinion is usually based on many years of collecting data and observing hundreds of examples. This and other forums is where a lot of the data we read about in books is gathered. Before the internet it was groups like the National Automatic Pistol Collectors and others.

I feel there is an element of trust involved where we accept what is written because of the experience and intellectual honesty of the author.

Surely there are errors and mistakes but normally those get corrected in due time.

Perhaps a small leap of faith......
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
A.Mifsin
User

" If there is some sort of documentation than it is understood, otherwise it is the opinion of the more experienced Collectors I think."

Dave... I agree with you. That is why I ask my queries on this forum, because there is lots of experienced members. ready to help out.

Alf.
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
MFC
User

Another variation that is accepted as ok to be mismatched, is the M1900 Test Eagles, as long as the parts are from another TE or M1900. An all matched TE is of course worth more. Some of the guns were cannibalized to repair others. As Ron stated, the same thing applies to 1900 Bulgarians, and I beleive 1908 Bulgarians.
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Lugers that come to mind that are 'ok' to have been changed or modified in addition to above;

Finnish - as they were commonally gov't refinished and barrels changed
Dutch - most were in the jungle enviroment, so refinish and parts being changed is common
mid 20's lugers for the police will many times have a different barrel and so the color might be off a bit; as DWM made them in 7.65mm and the police then changed them to 9mm
Portuguese will often be refinished

The many mismatched or parts replaced with 42 or unnumbered and called arsenal repairs, is possible, but should put you on your guard

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
A.Mifsin
User

Thank You All, It seems that there is some sort of a pattern to what is mismatched and what is a variation.
Alf.