LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-22-2017, 03:43 AM   #1
Lugermeister
User

Default Looking for First Luger Purchase Advice

I've been reading "Stickies" here and other posts for a little while now. I have a collection of WWI and WWII rifles, i.e., K98k (German, Persian contract etc.); Mosin Nagant (Refurb matching rifle and scope, a non-import Mosin 91/30) and pistols. The pistols consist of byf43 and byf44 Mauser P-38's with "correct" holsters and a Model 37 "jhv42" Frommer Femaru (Hungarian) with original holster and some cowboy guns.

However, I don't have a Luger pistol. I have several on a "Watch" list at the Guns International website and a couple of others sellers. My desire is to find a "Nazi Period" Luger, but am open to suggestions for other options.

I do have some knowledge of sellers that are "questionable" at best. If any of you know of questionable Luger sellers I should void, perhaps a PM would be helpful to me.

As a retired U.S. Army officer, I've taught military history and I've done a lot of reading about Lugers and other military weapons. So, I am now at the point of wanting to move forward with a purchase. I have a budget of $2.5k max and wonder what suggestions and/or recommendations you all may have for Lugers in that price range. I can, if allowed, post links to some I'm watching and perhaps some will review them and comment for me on any that look good for a first Luger purchase. Or, perhaps suggestions from the WTS list, or other available guns may come to mind. I am open to learning and advice from all.

I hope this is an acceptable request. Please let me know.

Thanks a heap!
Lugermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Certainly an acceptable request, but a difficult one.
My suggestion would be to try to educate yourself prior to bidding on anything, thereby ruling out a lot of what is out there.
Secondly, send us links to specific guns and we'll take great delight in picking it apart. Don't be offended.
Post lots of photos of whatever you are considering.
Decide on what era interests you in regards to Lugers, and narrow your focus.
Spend some time on reputable dealers' web sites. Even if you prefer to not pay their prices, it will be time well spent. Simpsons, Ltd. is a good one, Legacy Collectables, etc.
Don't be a stranger, we're here to help.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 10-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I would not spend $2.5k on my first luger.

I would buy a $1000 shooter, in good condition of the era you are interested in. If that is not enough, you still have $1500 that will buy you a collectible, but lower end WWI or WWII luger.

The key here is be patient and you will find a great luger at a good price. Perhaps even here in the for sale section.

Welcome and show us what you are looking at before you decide!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 10-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

There is quite a bit to learn about Lugers before you can make an educated judgement about what you're buying. The best initial investment is a lower priced pistol as Don mentioned, and investing in some books.

You can download, absolutely free, an extensive reference FAQ document from this site. You'll find the material a good basic introduction to Lugers, and find it useful when you start looking to buy one. It's not exhaustive - that is why they publish books - but it has quite a bit of accumulated Luger knowledge and lore...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13121

Welcome to the forum! Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Major Tom
User

I have a third reich Mauser luger, a DWM Weimar and now want an Imperial one. One is never enough!

Last edited by Major Tom; 10-22-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add info
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Major Tom for your post:
Unread 10-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Sky Zero
User

2.5k is a little much for your first luger. The nazi era lugers seem to fetch more money, and more suckers, due to everyone wanting a pistol from the war their father or grandfather served in. If you're interested, PM me about a 1941 BYF I'm ready to sell. I have many pictures.
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
Lugermeister
User

Default Looking for First Luger Purchase Advice

For information purposes and for my own education, the following links are Luger Pistols I've been reviewing. What can I learn from you?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100858857

http://www.checkpointcharlies.com/ec...-matching.html

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100869330

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100875618

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100879700

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100814365

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100893770

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100884762

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100829679
Unread 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
DonVoigt
User

I'd look at one or three for you, but 9?
That would take a couple hours!

The first one a 1916 DWM, has a non standard stamping for $1850- I'd pass.
The second, BYF 42 at $2k, too much for condition.
The third, late type 1937 S/42, nice, but $1950 is too much for the piece with a mismatched mag.
JMHO,
everyone has different ideas about price and value.

Perhaps someone else will look at the rest!
Unread 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
Robert in NC
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I would not spend $2.5k on my first luger.

I would buy a $1000 shooter, in good condition of the era you are interested in. If that is not enough, you still have $1500 that will buy you a collectible, but lower end WWI or WWII luger.

The key here is be patient and you will find a great luger at a good price. Perhaps even here in the for sale section.

Welcome and show us what you are looking at before you decide!
I'm NOT (NOT!) an experienced Luger collector, but I think Don has great advice. This is the path I chose on my own. The more I read, the more I realized I don't know.

I went with a $1000 1920s commercial shooter to start, and not from an auction, from Simpsons LTD. I know I didn't get a bargain, and I don't think I got ripped off either, but I was confident that what I got would be as they described it, and I was willing to spend a bit more to have that confidence.

Now I'm looking at starting to get 1914-1918 DWMs, but I'm in no immense hurry, and will be reading even more and looking at a lot of guns before spending any money.

And personally, when buying Lugers, as in dealing with Mauser rifles of which I am more familiar, I will dismiss immediately any item where the description says "RARE!".
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
twien
User

Talking Been there - done that

I recently purchased my first Luger.

First of all you need to decide what kind of Luger you want - WW1, WW2, commercial, etc. Personally, I wanted a Reich period.

Once you decide, I would frequent the previously recommended sites (Simpson's, Legacy etc.)

I'm glad I went the Simpson route from the nine that you listed. I may have overpaid a bit, but it was well illustrated and accurately represented. You don't know what you are getting from the nine that you listed. Poor pictures and lack of info.

I'm not really into handguns, so I know I'm a one Luger guy. I just wanted one nice collectible piece and i didn't want to wait another six months. Now - if you want to talk about "sniper rifles" I'm just as gluttonous as most on this forum.
twien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
Pistol
User

Like others have said, the pics are not great, but I'll throw in my 2 cents after just scanning the links.

I agree with Don' s assessment on the first 3.
#4 has chrome or nickel finish and price is too high.
#5 is misrepresented as black widow, but looks like a commercial with a Germany stamp.
#6 the price seems too high given condition.
#7 looks better than #1 through #6, but photos are not clear.
#8 is a Swiss with import mark. Maybe a Swiss expert could comment.
#9 for a 1915 DWM the price seems high. It does have holster and tool. The pistol and holster appear to be coverted for police use. I see the sear saftey, but its pin looks missing. There are are similar ones (Imperial or Police) on gunbroker for less money.

Just take your time and study this forum and the other forum. You may even find a luger for sale from a forum memeber.

Last edited by Pistol; 10-23-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Most any luger you see advertised by "Cabelas" where ever, will be over priced, messed with, and have poor pictures. They are not luger experts; that said you might find a sleeper- but more likely you will get something less than expected. JMHO.

Also I would avoid anyone who describes their lugers "based on my own knowledge" and double about "rare" as mentioned above!
Unread 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I only looked at #2. The seller seems to have a good reputation, but I've never dealt with him. The gun is about average, a bit of freckling and honest use. I was surprised to see the halos around the barrel numbers and no bore diameter, however it seems like the latter had since gone away. A good desirable date of mfg.
Price is a bit steep, but remember that you are dealing with a retail business, whereas here on the forum we generally pay less than retail, particularly from fellow collectors.
You may consider offering $1750 with a 3 day non-firing inspection.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Part of collecting Lugers is studying the history of them. You cannot expect someone else to use their expertise to judge a purchase accurately based only on Internet listings and photographs.

All the time invested in study has a value, and much of the knowledge is being provided without obligation here.

The reason I sent you the link to the FAQ is that it contains years of accumulated knowledge about Lugers that will help you develop knowledge and judgment yourself.

The alternative is to find a reputable retail dealer, and pay them their price for a Luger that they will stand behind. Even then problems can happen, but a reputable dealer will take back a Luger that was misrepresented.

An honest collector listing a pistol here will be a better value, but could involve risk to the buyer since we're not in business to buy and sell guns.

Online auctions and gun shows are probably the most risky places to acquire a Luger - especially if you don't have the experience to evaluate one.

Marc
Unread 10-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
4 Scale
User

For those who are interested in buying a Luger but unsure of what/where/how much, similar to Don I recommend a shooter. If you must have a nicer one, get a lower to mid-grade collectible, $1400 or so budget to minimize the chance of an expensive mistake. The military Mausers (1934-1942) seem to have better metallurgy, are relatively common and IMO are therefore excellent first Lugers.

The keys to getting a desirable Luger at a reasonable price are knowledge and patience, if you are short on either you tend to end up paying more.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 12-02-2021 at 02:07 PM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

My "signature" pretty well sums up my recommendation: "If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction". I always recommend the early Lugers as great collectibles. Folks start out with just about any era Luger, but when they get serious a lot eventually gravitate to Imperial era Lugers (and a lot don't, WWII fans have their own preferences ) $2.5K will buy a pretty snazzy WWI or prior era Luger, and after all, that is where it began.
Ron
Unread 10-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #17
Lugermeister
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I have a third reich Mauser luger, a DWM Weimar and now want an Imperial one. One is never enough!
I know, I know. I have that problem with P38's!
Unread 10-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #18
Lugermeister
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Part of collecting Lugers is studying the history of them. You cannot expect someone else to use their expertise to judge a purchase accurately based only on Internet listings and photographs.

All the time invested in study has a value, and much of the knowledge is being provided without obligation here.

The reason I sent you the link to the FAQ is that it contains years of accumulated knowledge about Lugers that will help you develop knowledge and judgment yourself.

The alternative is to find a reputable retail dealer, and pay them their price for a Luger that they will stand behind. Even then problems can happen, but a reputable dealer will take back a Luger that was misrepresented.

An honest collector listing a pistol here will be a better value, but could involve risk to the buyer since we're not in business to buy and sell guns.

Online auctions and gun shows are probably the most risky places to acquire a Luger - especially if you don't have the experience to evaluate one.

Marc
Thanks for your help and suggestion. With other rifles and pistols, I have a fair idea of reputable dealers and those ot so reputable. Many do not have Lugers and I thought I may get a start by getting responses, not about, "You would do well with 1, 4, etc. Rather, I was hoping that the comments may come such as:

"Notice on #1 the following:
"On #3, you can see that:

I have been reading "Stickies" and learned a lot and I'm certainly grateful for your comments. A couple of books are on the way!

Great to be here!

Regards to all!
Unread 10-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #19
stg44fan
User

Have to admit I kinda want #4, but it is priced too high. I would love to have a chrome or nickel Luger in my safe.

But you should listen to these guys. They have a lot of experience and knowledge. Buy books and read everything on these forums. Hope you find the perfect Luger!
stg44fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugermeister View Post
Thanks for your help and suggestion. With other rifles and pistols, I have a fair idea of reputable dealers and those ot so reputable. Many do not have Lugers and I thought I may get a start by getting responses, not about, "You would do well with 1, 4, etc. Rather, I was hoping that the comments may come such as:

"Notice on #1 the following:
"On #3, you can see that:

I have been reading "Stickies" and learned a lot and I'm certainly grateful for your comments. A couple of books are on the way!

Great to be here!

Regards to all!
There are hundreds of threads here that explain what you are looking for, read them all. Don't laugh, before my first post I read All the posts, took weeks, then I didn't have to ask the questions that had just be asked or answered many times.

You will learn a lot from the pictures and explanations that are posted, questions one never knew existed.