LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-08-2001, 01:02 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default 6" Shooter Lugers (long)

I am seeing a real trend of people buying a parts Luger with a shot out barrel and replacing it with a 6" one. It is important to remember if you do this to get a barrel with the proper front sight block to have the front sight at the proper height for which ever rear sight you have. If you are lucky to have found an original rear NAVY sight you MUST have a higher sight block or a very tall front sight to get the top of the blade up high enough to make the combination work. I believe most recent manufactured 6" Luger barrels are made to work with the standard rear sight (non adjustable type) found on 4" Lugers. The 6" is really a nice length and I find them very accurate too. I did a rework for a guy that I discovered while working on it, that the barrel had been relined! This thing shot really really good though! ALSO IMPORTANT to remember that the person that does the barrel change needs to be skilled and experienced in this and needs to have the proper receiver and barrel wrenches to keep from marring up the parts and twisting the receiver forks out of alingment or crushing them together from the clamping forces. The first one I did the owner called it his "problem child" and it had multiple problems including a nice pipe wrench mark on the top of the receiver. Well, the end result was okay and I sure was impressed on firing the 30 Luger in a 6" barrel. I feel that people that buy Lugers to shoot for fun are really missing out on a nice experience not buying a 30 Luger. They cost a little more to fire, but they are usually accurate and a lot of fun! Recoil is less than the 9mm but they have quite a blast! ~Thor~

Unread 12-08-2001, 05:10 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Re: 6" Shooter Lugers (long)

Ted is right on here with some good advice. He is also right about the .30 luger cartridge. It is a real sweet round to shoot and very accurate. Not too much trouble to re load either and I have used cast lead bullets for years with no ill effects. Copper jacketed are hard to find and expensive. Any one changing a barrell out should know what's what as it is no job for an novice. Jerry

Unread 12-08-2001, 08:25 PM   #3
Hugh
RIP

I third the motion on the 6" 30 Lugers. I have one that is my favorite. I put a S&W adjustable sight on it and shoot resized 60 gr HP's. I call it my "Armadillo Gun", cuz whut hit duz to 'em wen u hit 'em with hit!

Unread 12-08-2001, 08:30 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I have had good luck resizing .32 ca. bullets in 90 gr. to .30 cal. They are mor commonly found. Jerry B

Unread 12-09-2001, 12:14 AM   #5
Hugh
RIP

Jerry, I get the 32 cal(.312)60 gr Speer Gold Dot & Hornady XTP from Midway and resize to .309. I like the GD better than the XTP, as it seems to have a softer jacket and resizes easier.

Unread 12-09-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
Art Buchanan

I have added a few higher front sight blocks to Luger barrels. Some on 12" and 16" barrels when using a 1920 style Artillery rear sight with a mounting soldered to the rear of barrel and some on 6" bls when using a Navy rear sight. The front sight block was partially removed and a higher block made from scratch and silver souldered to the barrel band. An easier way I have used is to cut the front sight block off a junk barrel by cutting vertically all the way to the bore. Flatten bore area on bottom of the removed block. Silver solder to the partially removed original sight block. When done carefully it is not really noticable. A checkering file can be used to blend serrations on rear of sight block if necessary Another way I have used is to bore out the muzzle end of a junk Navy{if one can be found} and cut band off barrel. Turn sight block and band off of the new 6" bl and sleeve the origional band on new barrel using silver solder. This can be accomplished and hardly detectable. Also would be a way to retain the sight block date when restoring a 1914 Navy. I stole this idea from George Luger. This is the way bls. were shortened on the 2 original GL baby Lugers that I have examined. Then one could have a crown M and numbers engraved on the new barrel and Wala--a partially fake new bore barrel on the Navy------"Oh my God, what have I said"---The F word.

Unread 12-09-2001, 04:20 PM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: 6" Shooter Lugers

Boy, Art you have opened the door for the Hounds From Hell now! I can just see the responses to your post. "Tar & Feather Him!" "Ride Him Out Of Town On A Rail!" "String Him UP!" "Put Him Before The Firing Squad!" The idea of even mentioning such fakery!

Unread 12-09-2001, 06:45 PM   #8
Art Buchanan

Default Re: 6" Shooter Lugers

Great response Hugh! My notes on Luger front sight were a serious attempt to provide usefull info to someone. BUT then the devil in me popped out and I could just not resist "stirring the pot"

Unread 12-11-2001, 09:33 PM   #9
Steve
User

Default .30 cal bullets

I have started loading for a .30 Mauser and found the following bullets:

Hornady HRN31000 90gr .308 XTP

Sierra SRA8005 85gr .308 Round nose Sport Master

I hope this can help someone.

Steve

Unread 12-13-2001, 05:55 PM   #10
Hugh
RIP