LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Johhny
New User

Default New P08 Luger Owner, Many Questions About a Refinished Shooter

I was making the rounds at the local gun stores (California), and was surprised to find a nice looking Luger with a tag reading "$650" on it, and nothing else. Through the case, I looked at the bore, and saw that it was indeed a 9mm, and not a .22 clone or .30 Luger model.

Thinking that the tag must be from another gun, I asked to look at it, and confirmed that it was a consignment, and indeed only listed for $650. The store owner told me that the gun is mismatched, and had been refinished, so there is very little collector value in it. That's fine by me, I just want to have an affordable Luger to shoot! (possibly in USPSA or IDPA to be funny)

Upon closer inspection, the Luger appears to be a 1917 DWM, serial 1xxx. The refinish is a matte blue, and looks a little rough, but cosmetically it looks nicer to me than a worn original finish. That is perfectly fine by me for the price, as I plan on shooting it a lot, and letting others shoot it a lot. Also, I won't be worried about wearing it out by running it quickly from a kydex holster I plan on making.

All numbers seem to match, except possibly the barrel, which I couldn't quite read in the dim store lighting without a magnifying glass. There also appears to be an import mark on the bottom of the barrel, which I also could not read at the moment. However, the bore is bright with sharp rifling.

The store owner is a cool guy, and he let me buy the gun for a flat $700 out the door, giving me a $32 discount off the $732 total with tax and fees.

Here are some photos:

So, how did I do for $700? Did I get ripped off? Did I score a sweet deal? Did I pay the average?

All the numbers except for the sideplate and barrel appear to match. The magazine appears to be of WW2 vintage, and the vendor believes that the old magazine serial number was ground down, and the current serial number was stamped over it.

The magazine also appears like it may have a modified baseplate. The baseplate is aluminum, and appears to have a pin driven through the circular portion to secure it to the magazine body. A disassembly video of a modern MecGar magazine shows that the modern mags use 2 pins that go through the rectangular portion of the baseplate.

Also, when the magazine is seated, the circular portion of the magazine rests about .5 cm below the circular cutout on the frame. The magazine can be held up into the circular cutout, but does not stay there. Is this normal magazine fit?

The sideplate appears to have "81" crossed out, and either a "C 5", "G 5", or "6 5" stamped below it.

I can't quite read the stamping beneath the barrel, but it appears to say "G C S A PENT SAUNT N", with an older crown over "U" proof mark, and a number "653"

The receiver appears to be cut for an artiller Luger sight, just above the 1917 date. I am wondering whether the rebarrel was done by a military, or a commercial entity. I know that some artillery Lugers had their long barrels replaced with 4" barrels following WWI.

Can anyone shed some light on this gun? I am also asking Calguns if they know anything.

I look forward to shooting this gun a lot, although falling into the madness of collecting many Luger variations will have to wait for the forseeable future. I hope I can be a productive member of this forum nonetheless!

Thank you!
Johhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Congratulations, you did quite well for $700. In brief, this is a P08 assembled by the East German Deutsche Volkspolizei in June of 1953. It has quite a story to tell, and if you post good, sharp closeup pictures of all its markings we can decipher it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Johnny, you did just fine, right out of the gate!

The mag is probably an FXO, of WWII vintage, and its aluminum, centrally-pinned bottom is absolutely correct. These are among the best performing mags made and worth around a couple hundred if in good shape. Since it is not period correct to your gun, you could sell it and offset the purchase price even more, if you prefer to put the two hundred into a couple of Mec Gar mags and the rest into your pocket.

I'm not sure what your variety of stampings means, exactly, but the markings guys will join the fray here eventually, so I look forward to what they might have to say.

I think I recognize the reproduction grips, as made by a concern in Illinois, IIRC. But I'm spacing on their name right now...

I also have a 1917 DWM that started life as an Arty, but is additionally property-stamped 1920.
Unread 08-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

J, By 1917 both DWM & Erfurt were using excess LPO8 receivers to make standard PO8s, so I doubt that your pistol was ever an Artillery model. I agree that it is a DDR rework with one of their new C/n marked barrels and rear toggle link. Also the off-center pinned mag is also an East German rework, so would not count of getting more than $100 if sold separately. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
Congratulations, you did quite well for $700. In brief, this is a P08 assembled by the East German Deutsche Volkspolizei in June of 1953. It has quite a story to tell, and if you post good, sharp closeup pictures of all its markings we can decipher it.

--Dwight
Dwight, how did you determine this fairly precise date? What am I missing?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

The barrel number 653, code for month 6 (June), 1953.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
K.Wilhelm
User

Default Shooter luger

As already stated, you did real well, particularly if it shoots! If you have any magazine-related problems, get an aftermarket MecGar mag. Bill
Unread 08-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Johhny
New User

Thank you for all your responses! I am learning more and more about Vopo Lugers, which I did not expect my Luger to be, as it was missing the typical Vopo grips. I am pleased to hear that the refinish and parts reworking were done officially by a national entity, rather than an importer or an end user.

Here are some additional photos with better views of the markings.

The proofs near the receiver serial appear to be a Crown over "U", and an Eagle. There is a sunburst below the takedown lever.

I noticed that "50" is stamped on the bottoms of the toggle links, which does not match the "65" stamps on the top of the toggle links. Are the "65" stamps due to force matching by the Vopo armorers? This also makes me question if the DWM toggle is correct for the receiver. Do the proof marks on the receiver side opposite of the serial number identify the receiver as being DWM or Erfurt?

What can be deciphered from the marks on the front of the frame?

Finally, the magazine is indeed an FXO with a '37 waffenmamt. There is an electropenciled "2655" above the P08 marking, as well.

I understand that the centrally pinned floorplate is correct for a Vopo magazine, but my floorplate also appears shinier than examples I have seen in photos elsewhere on this forum. The seller suggested that the floorplate may have been altered by an American owner, and that the serial on the floorplate matches the receiver serial due to owner alteration.

The magazine floorplate has serial "1165" with a "2" above it, and I only have this one magazine. Is this indeed a Vopo matched magazine to my gun, and how much value does it add to the Vopo Luger as a whole if it is authentic?

Again, thank you all for your help!

Last edited by Johhny; 08-12-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Johhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

visible numbers would be the same or crossed out by vopo - numbers you can not see such as under the toggle are 'workers' marks, which pretty much could mean anything and meant something internally but not something we can track down.

You haven't shown the base of the magazine, show all sides, show bottom from a couple of angles... from what you said, it was a police mag (the number 2) almost likely.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Take your photos in shaded sunlight, and shut off the flash. You'll get much better photos with flat illumination.

Use a tripod and the closeup setting of a digital camera. Use the self timer to eliminate camera shake.

Marc