LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-24-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
dm
User

Default Restore a parkerized luger?

Spotted a matched metal luger that has, at some time, been

parkerized! The parkerizing is smooth and under the parkerizing the metal was not buffed prior to refinishing.

Can parkerizing be easily removed? Does it etch the surface of the metal to parkerize? Can this guy be restored? Thanks for any opinions.

Dave

Unread 03-24-2001, 08:10 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Restore a parkerized luger?

Most metal surfaces that are to be Parkerized are either sand blasted of bead blasted prior to the phosphate finish being applied. Look at the surface with a magnifying glass to see if it shows the slightly rough texture of sand/bead blasting.

Unread 03-24-2001, 09:02 PM   #3
dm
User

A close look suggest a rather smooth surface for a park-job. Despite that, it may have some light roughness. It is not so rought that the surface could not be redone with smooth texture. That said, can the parkerizing be easily removed or is the procedure difficult and damaging to the metal surface?

dave

Unread 03-24-2001, 10:37 PM   #4
BILL
User

Just a quick note, I have seen some Lugers with an authentic phosphate finishing process. It would be a shame to 'restore' a blue finish to an original phosphate finish.

Unread 03-24-2001, 11:07 PM   #5
Ted
User

That is cool as heck! I have never heard of it, but I have not been into authentic Lugers but for a short time! I would love to see pictures of it! Ted

Unread 03-24-2001, 11:21 PM   #6
Jim Foster

If I remember my reading properly, some "contract" lugers were supplied with a parkerized finish from the factory.

Unread 03-24-2001, 11:22 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

I would be just as anxious as Ted to know what this Luger was and when was it made.

Unread 03-24-2001, 11:45 PM   #8
Tracy

If it is a byf 42 model in the m serial number range it could be a parkerized Portuguese model. They ran a lot of the Lugers through a rebuild program. I also have a 42 1939 model which has a pakerized type finish which was my first Luger purchase. It has a deep dark blackish color to it. We need to know the markings on the Luger.

Unread 03-25-2001, 03:15 AM   #9
dm
User

This particular luger is a 1936 date S/42 common military with familiar military inspection stamps. The s/n is 3032o

It was interesting in that the markings were not buffed but sharp as new despite the gun being parked. The bore was well worn but all parts were original and the straw parts were still straw. The mag as gone and thegrips well-worn and cracked (I did not check to see if the grips were orign s/n but alol metal parts were original including the fire blue parts which were still fire blue. The toggle pin even had the s/n on it. All in all an unusual parkerized luger but not the only one in existence. Several were parked over the years. This one was green parkerized. I have seen grey phosphate on Finn reworked M23's. Otherwise I do not know of any parkerized/phosphated lugers. That is, I did not think any were done original in phosphate/parkerizing.

Does the metal surface get roughed up by parkerizing?

Dave

Unread 03-25-2001, 01:25 PM   #10
BILL
User

Default Parkerized Luger

This is a Portugese byf Luger with a phosphate finish.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/portugesebyf42.jpg
Unread 03-25-2001, 01:32 PM   #11
BILL
User

Default Re: Parkerized Luger (EOM)

Unread 03-25-2001, 01:33 PM   #12
BILL
User

Default Why can't I post a pic? (EOM)

Unread 03-25-2001, 02:33 PM   #13
Ted
User

Default Re: Why can't I post a pic?

Here is your excellent picture, really a cool Luger and a GREAT picture! Ted

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/parkLuger.jpg
Unread 03-25-2001, 02:38 PM   #14
Ted
User

Man......I would leave it as is, is it a byf?

Unread 03-25-2001, 08:58 PM   #15
BCC

Default Bill, please explain authenic finish

Bill,

I was curious by you post stating that some Lugers had an authenic phosphate or parkerized finishes. I am aware of the Potuguese re-finishes and the Finnish re-builds using a blackish phosphate finnish. I guess what I am asking is, are you aware of a factory phosphate finish used on Lugers and if not what do mean by authenic? By the way, I remember looking at a nice looking Mauser P.08 in the early 70's, All match, grey/green parkerized finish 99%, Blk plastic grips and a blued toggle (original finish I suppose). I cain't remember the exact code and date but I believe it was 1940 thru 42 and therefore either a byf or 42 code. I do remember it was $140 and I anguished over the purchase until I concluded it had to be a post-war refinish. In the 30 years since I have yet to run accross any information/knowledge that would convince me otherwise. Thanks, BCC

Unread 03-25-2001, 09:16 PM   #16
Tracy

Bill have a question on the Mags that came with your Portugese Luger are they numbered to the Gun,or un numbered.

I purchased a Portuguese from FGS several years ago and it came with a blank bottom aluminum mag. I have had people tell me that the Mags should be Plastic etc. very confusing. However, if that is your rig posted by Ted it is really great. Congradulations.

Unread 03-25-2001, 09:18 PM   #17
Tracy

Should have put this in first reply. What proofs does the Loading tool have?

Unread 03-26-2001, 12:47 AM   #18
BILL
User

Default Parkerized Lugers

Unfortunately I can't quote the reference books as I am not positive where I first saw it. I have read that when the P-38 was adopted during WWII the Mauser manufacturing firm was too busy or undermanned to finish all of a contract of Lugers to the Portugese military. Who actually did the Parkerizing (and I believe that it was referred to in the article as a 'Phosphate-type' finish) is unclear. It may have been the Mauser factory or subcontracted in Portugal but the pistols were issued with a Parkerized finish. I can't say if it was done at the factory or elsewhere but it is authentic.

Unread 03-26-2001, 11:07 AM   #19
bcc

Default Thanks Bill, Interesting Info (EOM) (EOM)

Unread 03-26-2001, 01:10 PM   #20
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Thanks Bill, Interesting Info

Parkerize has come to be synonymous with a phosphate finish much like "Xerox machine" and "Skil saw" came to be used with all copy machines and electric hand saws. Parkerize was a registered trade name of the Parker Rustproof Company for their phosphate finish. It appears that the wartime P38's were not first sandblasted before the phosphate finish was applied. The US military used the phosphate over a sandblasted finish to help the phosphate adhere better.