LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 06-26-2002, 10:18 AM   #1
bravo
User

Question Holster markings

I am new to collecting lugers. I recently purchased a 1936 s-42 at an estate auction. It came with all matching numbers and magazine. It also has an extra magazine and what appears to be the original holster and tool. The holster has the initials dkk in lower case just above the forward belt loop and it has a small waffenamt lust one inch to the right of that. If I am not mistaken ( and I very well could be) Hitler was one of the pioneers in gun registration and liscensing. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a place to look up old registration records from the nazi era? I would also appreciate comments or interesting facts about this weapon that anyone could throw to me. Thanks.
bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 10:31 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Bravo, What do you mean by old registration records? Who guns were confiscated from? I have recieved many European research records from Germany concerning Lugers but these records that you seek could be long gone as records in Germany are being destroyed on a daily basis. Not only that but they are written in German and if you were to find them you must speak the language. The holster you have is coded DKK and this refers to Friedrich Offerman & Soehne, Bensberg 1942 WaA 195.. Hope this helps. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
bravo
User

Smile

Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it. If you have any more info on this company, rarity, value, etc. or if you could tell me a place to find info like this, I would be in debt to you.
Unread 06-26-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bravo, To determine rarity and assess a value it is necessary to either have a very in depth description and photo's front, back and inside or have the holster in hand. Luger holsters have escalated in value over the years and are now quite costly for the most part. Condition is everything and marks can add a great deal to even a poor holster. Mint holsters in the WW2 era can bring $400.00 and up. Poor condition holsters can be as low as $55.00 In grading a holster for condition you have to look at many things you might not even think of, loose thread, cracking of surface leather, sponginess, holes, or if the holster is dyed or shoe polished. All affect the value to some extent. Markings are another assesment altogether. Some are quite rare and some are very common. The rare ones are Navy and Luftwaffe to be brief. Many more marks such as unit marks and specific branches go much further in depth and are a study in themselves. I have hundreds of dollars invested in books that others have written on this subject. They are not only interesting to read but necessary if you want to study this fascinating subject. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 06-27-2002, 10:53 AM   #5
bravo
User

Thumbs up

So basically it comes down to what my grandpa used to tell me, "It is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it." Thank you for your time and effort. I appreciate you help. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bravo, yes this is true but if you know what it is worth then someone offering you half of that is not who you want to deal with.

I suggest you dial up Ebay and look under Luger Holsters and compare what is on the market with what you have. I study this site on a daily basis and learn something most every day. Also look under completed auctions. Interesting stuff. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 06-28-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
bravo
User

Wink

Thank you. This forum has been a great help.