LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 02-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
chris69
User

Post 1940 luger coded 42

hello members of the Luger Forum. My name is Chris and I am a new member to the forum. I have noticed thier is a lot of knowledgeble members and I am hoping to get some valuble answers about Lugers. I aquired a 1940 Luger coded 42 mint condition. My problem is Luger came with pearl grips and the older women dosen't know where the original's are located, her husband put the thicker grips on because he had large sized hands. I am desperate to get the original grips in mint condition for my Luger. I have heard wood checkered or plastics are proper for this pistol. Can someone please tell me which one would that be and where can I obtain it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
chris69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 03:56 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Hi Chris, welcome to the Luger Forum.

Regarding the grips for your 1940 Luger, they should be checkered wooden grips. They were originally stamped with the last two digits of the serial number of your pistol. There may be some of the Forum members that have original wooden grips they might part with, but perhaps not properly stamped.

If you want to settle for nice reproduction grips get in touch with Hugh Clark at hhclark@academicplanet.com

Good Luck!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

Chris,
welcome to the forum. Since your Luger is mint, I think that it would be better to get original grips. I have never seen repros that looked or felt as good as original. You might have a tough time finding a pair with the proper serial number on the inside and sometimes these numbers can be hard to find on the grips themselves. If you are patient, you might be able to find a matching set of serial numbers on the back. You only have to match the last two numbers of the serial numbers that are on the frame. But if you are not the patient type, then it may not too hard to find an un-numbered set on Ebay. Just make sure that the grips that you buy do not have a chip missing in the safety area of the left side. This missing chip is not repairable and will make your mint Luger look bad. THIS IS AN EASILY BROKEN AREA ON WOOD GRIPS. (EMPHASIS ADDED)

Don't be too concerned about the wear on grips that you purchase. There are a number of people out there who will rechecker AND restain grips for about $40-50. Make sure to ask about the staining.

When oiling or cleaning your Luger, try to not get oil on the grips. Oil will discolor and eventually deteriorate the wood.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
chris69
User

Thank you guys for responding to my post. Although the information brought me down because I was hoping the grips weren't numbered so I was going to replace them with orgininal unnumbered grips. I will be patient and look and hopfuly I will get them one day. I do own the S-42 1938 with the little chip by the safety lever, which "Big Norm" mentioned about. If I get original grips even unnumbered I will use them for my S-42. (were the numbered as well because the current ones I have are unnumbered only s is stomped on it) This luger came back from the WWII its above 90% but I love it as it is since it is a witness of the combat of WWII. The last 2 digits of the "Mint" luger are "59" If any members ever spot the same number on the grips please let me know I would really appreciate it. Since the Luger I have doesen't come so often I will try to get the pictures as soon as possible. Thank you very much. Talk to ya'll soon
Unread 02-19-2003, 07:21 AM   #5
chris69
User

http://chris_collection.tripod.com/g...omens/id1.html

This is my site the Luger that is shown is the Luger that I need grips for
Unread 02-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
I am no expert in this field, but from what I have observed the last couple of years; it is nice to get numbered grips, but **many** nice lugers do not have the serial number on the grips. This depends on the manufacturer and time frame on whether grips were numbered to the gun.

I would feel just fine having period grips on the gun, and **if** you come across some that are serial numbered to your gun would I get really excited.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote