Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 02-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #21
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Swiss 06/34

Hey Ron, I know a little bit about some pot metal mag. bottoms... You know just about all the rest!! The depth of your knowledge on these pretty pieces of workmanship is probably without equal... or, damn few people if any, can run with ya in this game!... and that is especially concerning the spendy ones... I'll bet on any horses you bet on ... Best to you Ron, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #22
Hueydriver
User

I have been exploring this pistol, too find the top of the receiver is not marked with the Swiss Sunburst.
I noticed Pete's 06/34 has the Swiss Sunburst. Which is normal. Was there no consistancy in Mauser's manufacturing of this series.
Why would some have the emblem and some not. Does'nt make any sence to me.

Thanks.........Jesse
Hueydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #23
Pete Ebbink
User

Jesse,

Good observation you have made and an excellent question that has bothered me for some time as well.

The Swiss 06/34 Mauser lugers are in a 100 or so serial number range, but I do not think I have seen any research or data that would suggest they were in a consecutive numbered series.

I would WAG that the Swiss commercial lugers were made in small batches along side and interspersed with other commerical v-series lugers at Mauser at the time.

I have read that for a commerical luger to be allowed in Switzerland at gun ranges and shooting clubs, it would need to have the cross/sunburst on the gun...either done by the manufacturer or arsenal-approved gun smiths in CH.

If a "Swiss" 06/34 Mauser luger is a blank chambered luger, I would venture a WAG that is was just a 06/34 commerical luger and not one that went to Switzerland. I would WAG that these blank-chambered lugers have been mistakenly called "Swiss" as their serial numbers seemed to fall into the serial-number range of the other known/reported Swiss lugers with the cross/sunburst on their chambers.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Jesse & Pete,
Do you guys have additional photos of the FGS gun? I can't tell from the picture on their site (which Pete included at the start of this thread) whether the chamber is marked or not.
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:58 PM   #25
Hueydriver
User

Pete, thanks for the reply.

I have read that a " major Swiss sporting goods firm " ordered this "model, series" from Mauser. It would sure seem to me that they would want their Swiss emblem put on the guns if this is true.
I would think the Swiss emblem should have been added at Mauser, as it is doubtful the "Swiss sporting goods firm" had the capability to add it.
If it's a puzzler to Pete, it's a puzzle.

.......Jesse
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
Hueydriver
User

Hi Ron,

I asked Ken @ FGS, He told me there are no Swiss markings on the gun. But is a considered a Swiss 06/34 from the S/N range it falls in.

Thanks....Jesse
Unread 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #27
Hueydriver
User

In doing a little more research on this pistol, it looks like the example written about in Mr. Kenyons, Lugers at Random, pages 258 & 259. In that case this luger is even more valuable. IMHO.

But Ken and Doug at FGS, advertise it as a Swiss 06/34 with probable good reason......... If Ken or Doug told me it was gonna rain for 40 days and 40 nights.... I'd go looking for a raincoat............. Jesse
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #28
Pete Ebbink
User

I would safely call this one a 06/34 Mauser Commerical luger.

Ron, we both held this one in our hands at the recent SOS show. If I recall it was stunning but did have a blank chamber...

I did not see any little swiss + proofs or EB or anthing other than Mauser proofs.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote