Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 01-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Default Nice 06/34 Swiss Mauser

Folks at FGS have just posted this nice 06/34 Swiss Mauser luger for sale :

Here is the sales ad write-up :

" 06/34 SWISS MAUSER LUGER
S/N 36xxv CAL 7.65 ALL MATCHING NUMBERS INCLUDING MAGAZINE. FINISH 99% ORIGINAL BLUE. VERY NICE GRIPS, BORE, AND MATCHING MAGAZINE. EXCELLENT ORIGINAL HOLSTER COMPLETE WITH STRAPS. THIS IS A VERY RARE RIG TO FIND IN THIS CONDITION.........POR "

http://www.fgsinc.8m.com/catalog.html

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
minigun
User

Yep, that is a beauty. Wonder what the price tag is on it? If I hadn't bought a SIG SSG3000 I'd probably be all over this.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
mjgru2001
User

Talking

I e-mailed FGS Inc. for the price and more photos.

And the damage is ....

..... $11,500.00 USD

Just a LITTLE out of my budget range.

Also, has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this seller (FGS Inc.) that they would care to share with a newby.
mjgru2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
drbuster
User

FGS is Doug Smith from Portsmouth, Ohio....a very reputable and honest dealer. The rig is very rare, in very pristine shape and most likely worth the price. Remember, this is the dealer's retail price. He's probably making $1-2K profit over his purchase price, after all, he has expenses and overhead.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
drbuster
User

Pete, you'll notice that it has a long frame!
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Ron Smith
User

I have dealt with Doug. As Doc says, they don't come more honest than him. And good to deal with. A very nice guy.

A beautiful Swiss. If I were rich, or if I were Pete. I would buy it.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

In emailing with the folks at FGS, I was trying to secure a 2nd. nickle plated, aluminum bottomed un-numbered magazine for my 06/34 Mauser Swiss luger.

FGS sent me a note stating that Doug Smith indicated the 06/34 Swiss Mausers should have numbered magazine and sent a photo along.

So our thinking that un-numbered magazines for these Swiss commercial lugers are correct may be incorrect...

Unread 01-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Dean762
User

I sniffed on this thing too. When it gets to where I can buy a brand new car(well maybe an economy car) for the price of a gun I start to wonder what im thinking. As someone said up above this gun is almost certainly worth it but a little out of my leauge. I have had many transactions and overall very good luck with FGS.
Dean762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

This is a really nice Swiss, but the magazine puzzles me. I admit that Mauser production is totally out of my experience, so perhaps I am out in left field on the following observations. It appears that the "flat" portions of the magazine base are sanded parallel to the sides (dark green lines), but the center section appears devoid of sanding marks or if they are present appear to be at a slight angle (light green lines). Could be an effect of the lighting. Also the outside portions of the curved section appear as though there has been more metal removed than the center part, hence the wedge shape of the center section (blue lines) and a pronounced radius at the outside edge (red lines). This does not seem consistent with continuous sanding of the bottom of the base against a flat sanding surface. I would think that all lines should be parallel and square, i.e. the blue lines should be parallel to the yellow lines and the light and dark green lines would be parallel to each other and at right angles to the yellow lines. If I were to be suspicious, I would think that possibly the "v" suffix was preserved but the center section was resurfaced and the number restamped, but as I said, I don't know enough about the subject to be suspicious.
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
minigun
User

Well, for that much, I probably wouldn't be "all over this one". I'm sure it's worth it, but I had no idea.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
SteveM
User

Ron,

I'm with you on this. The magazin does not look(appear) like any of the unmolested mags that I have in my collection

SteveM
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ron, et al,

IMHO, I think that this magazine may have been renumbered at some point in it's life for the very reasons that Ron mentions, but at the same time, I think the renumbering is authentic... I recall that being arsenal refinished is also a frequent event in the life of Swiss Lugers... (They sure liked them pretty, even for military service), and the possibility that a magazine went through a rehab and was officially mated to this gun is not unlikely...

The stamping of the numbers seems to be in the correct font and size, but Pete would be in a better position to judge that... I also believe the price is rather high for a gun that is refinished, whether it occured under offical auspices or not...

Speaking only for myself... YMMV

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Pete Ebbink
User

I am hopeful that Doug and Ken at FGS will have this one along at the SOS show in KY...

Doug's write up does state the gun's finish is original. He would certainly know...
Unread 01-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
c3006
User

Im sure this has been asked about a thousand times but I have to know ,so why didnt they blue behind the safty lever? clint
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
Pete Ebbink
User

Clint,

The "in the white" polished area on Swiss lugers indicate that the thumb safety is in the safe (or more accurately...secured) position when you can see the polished area. Germans went to the "gesichert" wording for their guns...and other countries used their word for "safe/secured" as well...

Only a WAG...but since French, German, and Italian is spoken in Switzerland, maybe the folks at the Ordnance boards thought staying with the polished feature made more sense for the M1900 and M1906 and M1906 W+F lugers...

The Swiss did change to a "S" on their M1929 lugers...
Unread 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #16
c3006
User

Thanks pete
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #17
Pete Ebbink
User

I had a chance to see this luger and its magazine in person on Doug's tables at the recent SOS...

IMO...I do not think the magazine was renumbered...there is lots of metal of the bottom sticking well above the end of the magazine tube.

The luger is breath-taking !
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default 06/34 mag. bottom.

Hello gentlemen, I decided to weigh in here and offer my opinion... keep in mind, that it is only an opinion, but it is based on closely inspecting many, many, alum. WW2 Mauser mag. bottoms ... and here is what i've come up with... The polished area that Ron (wish I could take pic's like that Ron!)has outlined, is most likely done to prep the bottom for numbering, and it was primarily done to remove flashing. If you dissect one of these bottoms you will find evidence of both porosity and parting lines under the surface... They were made in at least a two or three part mold, probably injected.. The polished area was done on a belt or against a wheel that was soft & most likely turned quite slow... probably, the bottom was held by hand in a fixture of some type, to hold against the abrasive.. That is why they have that butterfly wing appearance on the polished area.. The polish lines are fairly consistent from mag. bottom to mag. bottom, with just enough variation to point to hand done. Most of the time they will exhibit more prep on one side or the other.. But by and large, most are done well... I would not hesitate in buying that mag. as an excellent original specimen... I would love to talk to the guy that stood there all day and did that operation... bet he was a busy guy! best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Nice of you to find time to join us GT... thanks for your expert opinion on this.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Doug chided me in a very friendly way at the SOS and let me examine the Luger in detail. Consider this my public apology to Doug. As Pete said, it is a stunning Luger. (I also admitted in my post above that Mauser production is not familiar territory for me - so I set myself up to make a dumb observation!)