LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default You a Vet? Better read this.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...lping-veterans

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

Except to say that the way Vets have, and continue to be treated is criminal, I don't think I can comment without it becoming political. My opinion of Congress-critters is about on the same level as my opinion of pedophiles.

In nearly 29 years of retirement I have interacted with the VA maybe half a dozen times and I won't again unless I can't possibly avoid it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 09-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree..with the VA hospital part. I have been going to the VA for 40 years and have ALWAYS gotten better care than private medical I have encountered.
The VA system is unique. No matter what VA facility I go to..Arizona, Colorado ..or ANYWHERE else, my records of 40 years can be accessed. X rays and all. Try that at any random hospital you find yourself in. The VA is actually a good pattern for universal health. Are all VA facilities perfect? No, like any system, some are above par, others below.

What's a mystery to me is how ANY vet comes to the conclusion that ending his life is a solution worth having. It's permanent solution to a temporary problem. I spent two years trying to prevent my own death in the Central Highlands. I won't do what they couldn't. There are always alternatives.

Firearms are blamed in this article. A elderly friend next door shot himself. The police took the gun. His wife put her neck in a noose and stepped off a stool. It's not guns. It's many things but to blame guns is extremely shortsighted.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

The closest VA Hospital to me is 60 miles away. I have Tri-care for Life health insurance and use private practice doctors. My family doctor is the same one I saw when on active duty as he was hired by the military and I was assigned to him. Now he has a private practice. The local base pharmacy normally carries the meds I use. The base hospital will also do X-rays, shots and blood work.

I understand that the article made it clear that the politicians blamed guns rather than the root causes. That's why I said that any comments I make will be political and primarily about one party. It's not shortsighted; it's intentionally pushing a political agenda at the expense of Vets.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 09-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
MikeP
User

I have used the VA almost exclusively since 1970. Seen steady improvement and progress during that time.
I have been sent out of house several times when they did not have the assets.
Doing one right now that is pretty serious. They paying all of it.
I never have had an instant's negative treatment or experience related to being a vet.
2 trips to RVN and no issues either time or subsequent to that.
College in the 70s and never a bad moment with that.
Seeing a significant number of gruesome deaths and wounds. including my own, only taught me that survival is most important of all.
I have been lucky enough to always have had a job and knew where my next meal was coming from. I worked at having that. I never considered anything but surviving, no matter how dark some days got.
I knew a couple of people who ended their lives due to mental illness. Sad and they are missed. Three WW2 vets from home ended theirs due to serious debilitating fatal conditions they were experiencing. They were really bad off. The artical is an attack on guns, more than anything else. They are going to be coming full tilt on the issue. The present issues are focusing on "gun violence." Something to stay on top of and watch carefully.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
calibrator
User

I thought about relating my tales, ... but then realized it would be preaching to the choir.

My employer is also a gun enthusiast. At 35, he is a bit more than 1/2 my age. We are both very politically motivated and aware of the sinister nature of real politics these days, sharing things the other may/may not be aware of daily.

I got his attention yesterday after a session of sharing YouTube vids when I said; "If I weren't an avid gun owner, I'd probably not be so invested in the outcome of this election". I meant it as a joke, ... however I could see by his response that he had some agreement with the concept. The future of gun ownership IS definitely in peril IF ... ???

We are at the crossroads of the biggest fight ever ! This isn't political anymore. Evil never see's itself as evil. Cities are burning, cops killed weekly, businesses looted and burned, the country locked down for 7 months now.

Look at this situation ! It will get worse, ... but it could get better under a steady hand with an iron grip. Vote like your life depended on it , ... because it does !
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 09-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
pitsword
User

I am very fortunate being retired military to have Tri Care for health coverage. We have an excellent provider group. I stay as far away as I can from the VA, other than my annual physical. The VA has made some significant improvements, however I cannot flush the memories of VA treatment post Viet Nam.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to pitsword for your post: