LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Jack Lawman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Glocks are the opiate of the masses. I pray that the putz who tries to take me down someday is armed with a Glock while I drill him center mass with my custom Kimber or Les Baer Premier 2...
You should also pray that the putz doesn't take you from behind. Not all Glock owners are stupid.

Jack
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
calibrator
User

Always felt the same as most posters here, until they came out with the sub-compact Model 30. Even with the smallest mag, it carries 10 rds of .45 ACP. That pistol got A LOT of ink in the magazines when announced, thats why I got one. It has been my primary defensive piece for nearly 13 yrs, loaded with Gold Dots and Trijicon night sights. Never had a FTF or an FTE in it's life and is able to hit what I aim it at. A fully loaded full-size magazine weighs as much as the pistol itself. It's a tool and nothing more, don't care what it looks like, it's UGLY and thats it's beauty. At home, mine follows me from room to room, just like that old dog you'd never get rid of (and it looks it). YMMV
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
padredan
User

True, Glocks are just that utility, they do a good job and nothing fancy about them. Like i said i used one in .45 to shoot steal plate matchs with and it never failed. One reason alot of police departments use them is price. They will under bid about any other manufactur to get a police dept bid. Years ago i worked for texas dps, we carried sig sauer p229's in .357 sig. Most of the major cities like houston and dallas carried glocks. I asked one of the top armor's why was that. his answer, "they went cheap" you are part of one of the finest law enforcement agencies anywhere, we do not go cheap and you need to go and shine your boots.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lawman View Post
You should also pray that the putz doesn't take you from behind. Not all Glock owners are stupid.

Jack
Although it's a good bet, statistically. Glocks are the Budweiser beer for all those new CCW carry holders and women buying their first gun and anybody else who thinks the gun will do all the thinking for them so they don't have to train.
While of course not all Glock owners are stupid, Law Enforcement, for example, I'd have twice as many alarm bells going off if my oponent was carrying a tuned 1911 or a similar carry piece. I'd KNOW he knows how to hit what he's aiming at.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Glocks are the Budweiser beer for all those new CCW carry holders and women buying their first gun and anybody else who thinks the gun will do all the thinking for them so they don't have to train.
I have talked to many of these "gun newbies", and they all claim that "I have heard that Glock is the safest gun in the world, so it was the obvious choice". I'm of the opposite opinion: Glock is a very unsafe pistol for those who are not used to guns. I also find them more difficult to shoot than traditional SA or SA/DA pistols, mostly due to the horrible triggers. Also, calibrator mentioned that a loaded magazine can weigh as much as the gun itself, which is great if you want a lightweight gun, but the balance and recoil will change as you empty the mag so it's not nearly as great for controlled shooting. This was very obvious in my G32, those last rounds were actually quite punishing.

Granted, many people have shown fantastic results with Glocks, but it's not a pistol you just pick up and shoot well right off the bat. Their safety is no safety at all, it's just an arrangement that prevents the gun from discharging unless you pull the trigger. "Safest trigger in the world": Maybe. "Safest gun in the world": Definitely not.

I bought my Glocks just to find out what the hype is all about, and they were both sold about 2 months after the purchase as I found them inferior in any way to my SIGs. There was no safety, no cocking indicator, no loaded chamber indicator (which I believe they come with now), they felt like bricks in my hand and the triggers felt worse than in my son's airsofts. I try my best not to drop my guns from 10-story buildings and if I do, I probably won't find it in time to use it anyway, so I'll stick with SIG Sauer.

And maybe most importantly: Glocks look like water pistols. You definitely don't want that.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Iif you want a lightweight gun, but the balance and recoil will change as you empty the mag so it's not nearly as great for controlled shooting. This was very obvious in my G32, those last rounds were actually quite punishing.
This is exactly my biggest problem with the Glock.
Maybe if I shot it more I'd get more used to it, but compared to my favorite, the Browning HP, it requires a lot more effort to hold it on target during rapid fire.
The Glock is not a bad gun by any means, but it has characteristics that make it unappealing to many people.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post: