LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:27 PM   #1
Harry C.

Default Black Widow Value

Some months ago I bought a 99+% byf 42 with mint 1941 holster, two mint fxo mags, and a nice WaA 135 loading tool for $1500. I did dismantle the pistol at the time of purchase, but did not remove the grips, as they appeared original and perfect. Recently I had some spare time, so I got around to removing the grips, and was somewhat surprised to find a name and California town scratched on the inside of one grip. How much value would this take away from the outfit?

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:48 AM   #2
mlm

Default Re: Black Widow Value

Probably none if it is handscratched it might just be the town of the GI who picked up the luger. I would not feel the gun was devalued. Each GI marked his souveniers his way, usually with his service number scratched visibly on the surface of the holster. The GI who got your luger was careful not to mar his prize.

If the grips are post-war Franzites or the like--it would affect the value.

Just my opinion--sounds like a great piece.

Unread 03-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #3
tom h

Harry, I agree that it was nice of the GI to mark his prize, where it didn't show from the outside. This didn't deter you from buying it. Tom h.

Unread 03-26-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Luke
User

I have a set of BW grips exactly like John Sabato's with the last name of some soldier, "Souter," crudely scratched on the inside of both of them. If this happened to be a WW-II soldier, it just makes them more interesting to me. We'll never know . . . . .

If Souter was a Luger collector . . . . Oh well.

Unread 03-26-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Robert Egan

Just a thought regarding GI's markings on Lugers.In the late fourties early fifties I had a Luger holster as part of my "playing guns" stuff that had the name"Niedibala" scratched across the flap.I don't recall what became of it, but could it possibly be in the collection of any of the forum members today? Stranger things have happened!