LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-31-2001, 03:54 PM   #1
Ol'Duke

Default Odd fixture to 41 byf

I have a 41 all matching byf that is not import marked, but looks like a Russian/East German rework. The black dip blue over some pitted areas, etc. What is unusal about it is that it has what looked at first like a stock disk on the left grip!!!??! I didn't think much about it until I did some research about the 40 Banner gun I sold. I bought some replacement grips to put on it since these had the disk and the grips had personal carvings on them. Well, I took the grips off and lo and behold they matched the gun, which I thought strange since it looks like a rework. I pryed off the disk as it had a nail thru the middle into the grip. Well, it is some kind of Persian, Turkish, etc. coin that had been sanded smooth on the exterior but still has faint, Farsi-type writing on the coin and still on the rework grips!!!

Any ideas?

Ol'Duke

Unread 01-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Odd fixture to 41 byf

Unit ID disc were fairly standand on the M23 Finnish 7.65mm lugers, until the start of WW2. But with the Farsi markings, it is probably some custom work by a previous owner.

Unread 01-01-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Ol'Duke

Yeah, well, I thought it was an id disk when I bought it, but it had no marking whatsoever on the outside and only the nail holding it onto the grip. It is clearly a coin with Farsi, Turkish, or some Middle Eastern type country. I really wouldn't think much about it, except the coin is nailed to the matching grips and the grips had been carved on by whomever was it's previous owner and the carving was directed to the coin. The other grip is not carved on. Another oddity as I said earlier that the grips are numbered to the gun and the gun is an obvious rework, with no import marks...and I went over it with a jeweler's loop.

I guess you never know what is going thru folk's mind when they do things to their personal weapons!!!!

Thanks, Happy New Year and Go Big Orange...way to smack the Wolverines.

Ol'Duke

Unread 01-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
Terry A de C Foley

Dear Tom - howsabout an illustration here? You know the old adage about a picture being worth etc. I'm a turkish speaker, and my next door neighbour is a Farsi interpeter. Don't forget that after 1922 Turkey began to use the Roman alphabet, ditching the cumbersome and inappropriate Arabic script.

Terry Foley

Unread 01-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: Hey Terry Foley.........Need help with FARSI
Find More Posts by Thor
Unread 01-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #6
Thor
User

Terry, my apologies, seems I got your name not quite right in my post title! Sorry about that! Thor

Unread 01-05-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Terry A de C Foley

Thor - thanks for the note, I'm getting onto it as soon as he comes back from Farsia [only kidding] - he's a doctor and is away away until tuesday - if you can wait that long. The name looks good to me, don't bother too much about it, even the Queen got it wrong!

regards

Terry F

Unread 01-05-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
Thor
User

Thank you Sir! No rush, we have been trying to figure this one out for months! ~Thor~~

Unread 01-06-2002, 10:07 AM   #9
Terry A de C Foley

Dear Thor - I assure you that it is no trouble at all. Putting something back is what I call it. The site cheers this old bear up tremendous, and gives me something to do between meals while they deliver the medication around. Then, at 4 o'clock, it's time for bed, and the long day ends once more..... since we are only allowed to write with crayolas in this place the arrival of a PC has been a blessing. They pushed it through our trapdoor a while back, and nobody has eaten it yet.

regards

TF

Unread 01-07-2002, 08:10 PM   #10
Milt Keller
User

Will try for you tomorrow morning.

Milt Keller

Unread 01-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #11
Milt Keller
User