LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Marvin C.

Default Mitchell Luger

A friend of mine just purchased a used, but like new, Mitchell Luger. He asked me to properly lubricate it for him since I was a little more familiar with a Luger than he is. I was surprised at how good the pistol feels in the hand, just like a Luger should. After taking it apart and inspecting the pistol I found several things I did not like.

First, the fit and finish is not Mauser, DWM, Erfurt, etc. In the disassembled state, you can see where a file was used to smooth some surfaces. Outside, the polishing is not to bad. I don't like the dull cast surface that was not finished, but that is just an opinion. The sliding surfaces don't seem to feel as smooth as a German Luger, but it does function well.

Since this was the first time I have ever fully inspected one of these pistols, I was pleased. This will make a very nice shooter pistol to have fun with and keep the classic lines and feel. I am not a stainless steel fan at all, but it does look very good. For the price you can get a used one for, it is not a bad pistol. Oh yea, one thing that is terrible on the pistol are the grips. They look great from the outside, but on the inside, Mitchell has used epoxy to form the vertical grooves which keep the grips from shifting in the frame. This is CHEAP, because it it chips off, the grips will slide on the frame. This is the biggest fault I found.

Marvin C.

Unread 01-09-2002, 03:23 AM   #2
Steve
User

Default Re: Mitchell Luger

The grips on the new ones are not made this way and therefore have no epoxy to chip. Just a comment.

Unread 01-09-2002, 07:42 AM   #3
Marvin C.

Default Re: Mitchell Luger

Steve,

Thanks for the information and I will let my friend know this. I thought this was a very cheap way to geet the grips to stay in place. I hope to try another set of Repro grips and see if they fit.

Marvin