LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
gunsrfun1
User

Default Can a front sight be "hand-adjustable"

Hello - I took my newly purchased DWM Commercial .30 Luger to the range today for the first time, it worked great and it's a blast to shoot. I noticed it was shooting a little to the right, and happened to push on the front sight, and found that I could adjust it left and right by hand. It seems to stay in whatever position I put it. I have to think this is not really normal, although it doesn't really bother me. Any thoughts? thanks
gunsrfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Sight should have an alignment mark on base, a very light touch to base edge with a brass hammer, and then center on mark.....works every time
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

You should not be able to move the front sight without a tool. If you can move it by hand, it is too loose and will eventually move while firing or come completly out of the base with the risk of loss. I do not recommend staking the sight as that will mar the gun, but a good gunsmith can remove the front sight, lightly peen the front sight base to tighten up the dovetail slot without marring the finish, re-install the front sight in alignment with the mark on the base, and that should resolve your problem.
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
gunsrfun1
User

Thanks Ron, kind of what I figured. Are there any low-tech cures like maybe getting it where I want it, then putting a drop of blue Loctite? thanks
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The honest answer is I don't know. Sounds like it ought to work, but I do not have any experience with Loctite.
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
DaveinTN
User

I would listen to Ron.... he knows what he's talking about.

Some months ago, I bought an extra ejector, extractor, and hold open for my all matching Erfurt. I wanted to be able to shoot the pistol and not have to worry about one of the numbered parts getting broken.

Since I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, I thought I could install the parts myself. My thought was to replace one part at a time, starting with the extractor.... Well, it would not extract properly so out came the Dremmel and I started my own mods.

To make a long story short, it didn't take very much time for me to mess up both the replacement extractor and ejector big time. So much so that I doubt that they're even usable in another gun (I decided not to do surgery on the hold open.) The lesson I learned (for about $75 down the toilet) was to let someone more qualified than myself do the work instead. I should have sent the pistol to Luger Doc or PoliceLuger in the first place.

For your front sight, I agree 100% with Ron in that a professional gunsmith should work on your pistol so that the sight won't fall out while you're at the range. For work on any parts "inside" the pistol, I would really really make sure the gunsmith knew what he was doing.

Dave (somewhat poorer, but a little wiser) in TN
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Tomathvl
User

Jay,
Policeluger, AKA Howard, is a qualified gunsmith so his answer, while not verbose, is a correct answer. If you need more info/clarification from Howard, ask him.
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
policeluger
RIP

Sorry to all, I do not have time today for long letters, assuming Jay did not have a sight tool....I know what is in the middle of assume....and knowing that Loctite,and blue will not work here, but in a threaded application, and while on threads never use red lokcite you'll never get it off and you may want to sometime... and not wanting to take the front sight all the way off because it will just make matters worse, and well versed on the old pin punch thing, still feel very strong that the long term fix will be a small downward peen on the sight base, so small it will not even be noticed....when the sight is to one side, center sight by same brass hammer, and give other side a light tap....not with a steel double jack.....just a kiss with the brass...OK go have fun today....I gotta get back to work!
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
gunsrfun1
User

Thanks all. No way anyone is touching my new toy with any hard objects!
This is no big deal to me, I was just curious, this being my first Luger. I'll eventually figure out a solution, probably starting with Loctite. (It's great stuff.) Later