LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 05-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Steinar
User

Default New production of Krieghoff

http://www.krieghoff.de/news_subpage...ame=10.03.2006

Translated:

Krieghoff News

Back from the Past: The Krieghoff Parabellum

There is good news for connoisseurs of fine pistols. More than 60 years after the last â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? was built in Suhl, Germany, Krieghoff is making them again in the form of a Limited Edition of 200 pistols.

Letâ??s go back to September 1945. The last â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? pistols leave the Suhl factory made for officers of the US Army. A short time later Germany was divided and the Russian Red Army had jurisdiction over the factory in Suhl. They dismantled the Krieghoff plant and destroyed the buildings.

Post World War II Krieghoff regrouped in Ulm, West Germany, but the production of pistols was not resumed. The gun was seen as too complicated to make and the market was too small.

â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? pistols from that time were known for excellent quality and workmanship. Approximately 10,000 pistols were made, - a relatively small number which made them highly collectable all over the world.

Scroll forward to March 2006. The first â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? in more than 60 years goes to the German Proofhouse. The newly made pistols are 100% identical with the ones made in Suhl some 60 years ago. No detail was overlooked the way these complicated pistols are built. All parts, even the smallest ones are milled from solid steel, like the originals. As an example, the grip piece is machined from a solid 6 kg (13 lbs) piece of steel. All features and details which set the â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? apart from other Luger pistols were maintained including the blue case colored front sight as well as the Krieghoff Anchor company logo which dates back to pre-1945.
The â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? of 2006 will be a Limited Edition of 200 pieces with a serial number range from 18001 to 18200. The pistols come in a custom made aluminum case marked with the â??Krieghoff Parabellumâ?? name and the Krieghoff Anchor logo and will include a certificate of origin. A spare clip is also included.
Rare and very limited, the new pistols are available directly from Krieghoff. Deliveries will commence in September 2006. The complete package is priced at 10.500,- â?¬

Contact Person:
Ralf M�¼ller
Telefon: +49 731 40182-0
Email: press@krieghoff.de
Unread 05-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Absolutely Interesting.
It seems that after the Mauser Parabellum we will have 200 more "new" Lugers.
Thank you for the info.
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 05-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Steinar
User

you're welcome
Hope someone on the forum will have a chance to purchase one, and perhaps post some pictures..
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

kanichiwah Tac... I am a bit parched after your dry humor insert... but I plan to quench it soon with a fresh cup of coffee... (it is morning here... must be the middle of the night yesterday in Tokyo... )

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steinar, Thanks for the translation of the article. If you find any photos, once the KH Para is in production, I'd love to see one. TH
Unread 05-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Steinar
User

Tom, I will keep an eye open. Would be neat to see some photos of the production methods also. But I have my doubts..

Hmm.. wonder what my wifeâ??s car will sell for..
Unread 05-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
sambuscemi
User

John: So you know I have been to Tokyo and they are ahead of us in time. Morning here would be tonight or early tomorrow morning there. So, in most cases it can never be yesterday in Tokyo. Thought you'd like to know.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

In that case... Good tomorrow morning to ya TAC... thanks to you and Sam for setting me straight on this time thing... My 20 years service never got me closer to the far east than Fort Greely at Delta Junction Alaska... spent my time in the USA, East Africa, some time in the middle east and Europe... That "Made in Japan" time never worked on my watch...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tac, Hopefully the little woman can see over the dash of her little green Toyota. I agree that $10K is too much for a repro luger, even a KH, but the way the market is going, in 10 years, we may have wished we had bought one. TH
Unread 05-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
drbuster
User

Tom, after discussing this issue with Mike Krause, he said that tooling up to make a single luger today would cost at least $50K! The more that are made the cheaper it gets (obviously). He said that $10K for such a recreation, considering they plan to make just 100, is really not that bad a price, considering labor costs.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
mauro

I agree about the fact that the cost is quite correct.
I have some internal Mauser documents that demonstrate how it was difficult for Mauser to keep the engagement with Interarms about the price of the Mauser Parabellum.
In the end Mauser produced only about 23.000 standard Mauser Parabellum and the contract with Interarms was dropped in 1976. Then Mauser moved in the commemorative business (1975-86) and special production (IWA models) in this way it was able to increase the price of the Parabellum that was not so far from the current Krieghoff price.

To me 10K euros, although a big amount of money, it is not a bad price.

I have to speack with my wife...

Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
Steinar
User

pretty sure they are very well made.. Not directly 'repro' in my eyes.

If I had the money, and a way to keep it hidden for my wife, I would have one in my safe very soon
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
mauro

Right Morgan,
Personally I do not consider 'repro' the Luger made by companies that were involved in the Luger production like Mauser and Krieghoff .

I am considering buying one of these pistols as well.

Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 05-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
Steinar
User

My Krieghoff shotgun, made in the 80's is incredible well made. Makes me feel sure the company is serious in it's production.
I don't find the aluminium mag bottom that 'cheap looking', as metal would be heavy, wood would be weak and bakelite is more of a substitute of aluminium og wood.. Besides, is shiny and long lasting

I'm thinking of purchasing one.. but would probably be to late when/if I decide to get one
Unread 05-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #15
Steinar
User

Tac, I find that you have lots to offer this forum, and it sure wouldnâ??t be the same without you! Your experience with handguns exceeds mine by far, and since youre from UK, so does the humor I hope your posting was not a goodbye..
Since our countries are practical neighbours, perhaps itâ??s possible with a shooting competition some day? ..with a new krieghoff as the price? If so, I can bring a some Lugers and a few other pistols, perhaps other forum members in Yoorup hook up too.. just a tought..

Hope things are good over in Tokyo!
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Parabellus
User

Tac aka Stevie Wonder,

Your insights, though often acid, do help liven up these discussions.
Hang in here.

As for the new Krieghoff Parabellum, Kalifornia's AG probably won't put it on the list of 'acceptable' firearms anyway.

Russell
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts

Gentlemen, The old methods of producing Lugers is gone forever. The men and machines that took the time and skill to produce an original are dead. Regardless of what maker mark is stamped on the toggle these pistols will always hold a different place in history than those made pre 1945. I cannot place a value judgement concerning them except to say they will never achieve the historical significance of an original. One could buy a very nice original for ten thousand Euro's.
Another thought creeps into my head...Winchester made some of the finest rifles in the World. When they farmed out the manufacture in 1965 the rifle was not worth having and those made today are a shell of their former selves. They might even be better but they are not the same.
I would reserve judgement untill I was able to see the new Krieghoff but I would not have great expectations. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default New Luger

Hello to all! I agree with Jerry, The whole system of manufacture and production back then was different. There was a system of apprentice, journeymen, and master back then. The journeyman did the rough work, and the master did the final work. Then, the master signed off on everything... The guns were literally built, fit, and finished, by master craftsmen with 30 to 40 years of experience in their single area of expertise... It can be surmised that it reached an art form at the beginning of the 20th century... all the surviving items and artifacts indicate this, (just look at a mint 1900 comm.)... We still have the people with all the ability, and in modern day manufacture they are masters in there own right... It's just that on Lugers, the last 5% of the quality, is 95% of the work! And, It has to be done by hand, by Masters!!! And that ain't going to be cheap, ever! Krieghoff has no shortage of these people, but will they go the distance and use them in the degree necessary... I sure hope so... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #19
Steinar
User

Unread 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #20
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts

Morgan, If the photo's you show are of the new production Krieghoff I will have to eat some crow on Krieghoffs production capability....Very nice I must say.
Mike Krause hand makes a .45 Luger and his production so far has been just as superlative.
I congratulat all who can maintain excellent quality when making these fine pistols...Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote