LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 12-20-2020, 02:36 AM   #1
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts
Default A work in progress?

For this project, “progress” is kind of a relative term. Back in 1971 as I was passing though from one Army assignment to another, I bought a box of Luger parts from Ron Peterson in Albuquerque, NM. It contained a fairly complete 1900 American Eagle Luger that someone had screwed what was probably a Lahti barrel into the receiver, it pretty much messed up the receiver threads. There were some other miscellaneous small parts in the box, but it was the genesis of a project. As many of you know, I have been a Luger nut since the late 1950s. In the books by Datig, Jones and Kenyon I absorbed a lot about the history and multitude of variations of the Luger in the early years. I was particularly drawn to the few prototype 7-shot “baby” Lugers that were hand fabricated at the factory from production Luger parts, most of them under the direct supervision of Georg Luger. Since there was no way I would ever own an original, I decided that making my own would be a good use of that box of parts.

And so, it began. I performed the frame modifications myself, shortening up the grip frame and converting the mainspring setup from a leaf to a coil using the frame web and bell crank from a scrap new model Luger frame that was also in the box. I also used a new model breechblock, modifying the receiver to accept the improved extractor and reshaped the cocking lug on the 1900 forward toggle link to work with the new model firing pin configuration (more on that later). After I finished making the frame, a good friend and master stock maker Richard Counts fabricated a fantastic fine checkered and inlayed set of figured walnut grips to fit the shortened grip frame. A few years passed and while I was visiting Gerald Tomek (G.T.) I asked him if he would make a couple of figured walnut magazine bottoms with ivory inlays to go with the grips. He turned out a super pair. After another couple of years, I acquired a pair of mint Swiss magazines (made by Pfänninger with the script “P” on the spine). I asked G.T. to cut down the mags and fit the bases he had made earlier. As expected, he knocked out a pair of beauties. Now it was time to move the project along a little further. I was concerned about the durability of modification I had made to the forward toggle link, so I had G.T. swap it out for a mint new model link that Mike Morris had given to me at a Tulsa show some time in the dim past. Then came the big move…while he had the gun for the aforementioned work, I asked G.T. if he would fabricate a 3-inch 9mm barrel for the gun. Not one to shy away from a challenge, G.T. accepted the chore and after a lot of labor and fine tuning he got ‘er done. A thing of beauty and it performs wonderfully…G.T. launched 4 test rounds down range with the receiver/toggle train/barrel without a hitch.

On a side note, I always wanted a John Martz customized Luger, and 3 or 4years ago I won at auction one of his 7-shot Baby models modified exactly as my project gun, a 1900 cut down and converted from leaf to coil mainspring! His is 7.65mm vs. my 9mm, and I think mine looks better (naturally I would ).

So now I have to replace the missing frame latch for the toggle lock (I got a nifty replacement from Tom Heller) which involves fitting and silver soldering. The real bear will be tuning the coil mainspring to operate properly. Don’t have a firing range in my back yard, so that is going to be back and forth trips to the local range until I get it right (or close enough!). Then off to Ted Green (Thor) for his final rust blue finish if he will consider doing the job.

It has been a real saga and hopefully I will complete the remainder of the work in a fraction of the time already expended! It has been a gratifying labor of love, involving a lot of very good supportive friends in the process. I will be happy and hopefully it remains in the family to be passed down as something Grandad did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Modification.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	81490  

Name:	9mm Baby.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	81491  

Name:	Baby Top.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	81492  

Name:	Wood Martz.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	81493  

Unread 12-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Beautiful job Ron--absolutely beautiful. However, I am disappointed to hear that you want it to be handed down to remain in your family. I was sort of expecting it to be gifted to me. I'm just saying. I will get over it, though it will take time. Sad and alone in Alabama.
Unread 12-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well done Ron!!!!

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 12-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

This is so inspirational and amazing in one fell swoop ... 50 years !!!
My god that is astounding ... truly a life's work.

This project is a beautiful masterpiece RON ... I am appropriately impressed.
And to all your friends who helped on this amazing project ... hats off.

In 50 years time collectors will be hoping that one day maybe this gun will come up for sale.
And guys in lugerforums will be posting 'I knew Ron and those guys'

History in the making.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

For an experienced collector this must be one of those things that gives life satisfaction and make it worth living.
Unread 12-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Heinz
User

Ron, what did you do about the "messed up" receiver threads? Are you getting an RW engraved on the back of that frame?
It is a beauty
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Heinz for your post:
Unread 12-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Heinz,
G.T. cleaned up the threads when he installed the new barrel. I haven't decided what, if anything, I am going to do about "personalizing" the gun.
Ron
Unread 12-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Heinz,
G.T. cleaned up the threads when he installed the new barrel. I haven't decided what, if anything, I am going to do about "personalizing" the gun.
Ron

I think plexiglas grips with a photo of Sarah would be right on the mark.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 12-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Sweetheart grips! Nice thought George
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #10
MikeP
User

Classic example of the great American "tendency to tinker."
Fine results.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 01-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
Thor
User

Dear Ron, just let me know when you are ready. The cold winter months have me doing a bunch of "inside jobs" translated to rust bluing. I do my salt bluing outside and I have a bunch of that left for spring/Summer. Finishing a 1916 DWM and then on to a 1914 Erfurt Artillery I have degreased and deblued. I have another Artillery due in today to restore. Life is good to MR Thor, ol yaller boots. Congrats on your work, sweet baby, sweet! Cant tell what shape the Eagle is in. Remember Brian Powley is a wizard fixing any markings that are weak or marred.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Thor for your post:
Unread 01-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
Thor
User

Dont know if you remember, but our late friend Frank Manders had a fancy "FM" engraved on his Baby. Not on the toggle link but a chamber marking much like the Crown over M2 Portuguese Army Marking.

915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Unread 01-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
Thor
User

Certainly one of a kind. It brings to mind the saying-"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" Love that baby Luger Ron. Class act work from a class act gent.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
Unread 01-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #14
Hugo Borchardt
User

Wow Ron. Simply outstanding!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on such a cool save!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote