LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 10-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Don H.
User

Post board stock question

I just purchased a board stock and it has a ser.# 410 on it. Did repo's also have ser.#'s on them? It also came with the holster and a snail drum holster. I don't know much about the Artilleries and would like to know what I have. Thanks Don
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Hi Don,

The repros that came out of Pakistan back in the 1960s were frequently numbered.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
Don, a repro with a serial number would be considered by me to be a counterfeit. Let us see some photos, especially of the stock iron, and we can tell you if it's legit.

You also mention a "snail drum holster", unless it's canvas, these things are purely fantasy items. Pictures here would also help.

For general info...the Finns bought a slug of stocks from the Germans, I guess in the 20s or 30s. A noted dealer in the states had a bunch of these some years ago. I bought two LP08s from him that had finno-bogus matching numbered stocks with them. This was my "postgraduate seminar". Unlike my undergraduate work, the GI Bill did not help to defray my tuition.

I think of him fondly as "the Professor".
George Anderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Navy
RIP

Geo,

Tuition at Luger U has always been a bit steep; thank gawd that Algore invented the internet so the sacred screed and knowledge could be spread easily.

Missed you at Charlotte.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tommy, I was there but moving fast...sold four 06 contracts and bought a few Imperial items. It's hard to measure a moving snake.

I'll be in Chantilly Friday.
Unread 10-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
George, if you are near Dulles Airport on Friday, let's see if we can do lunch... I work near the intersection of Maclaren and Rt 28...

Drop me a PM...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John, I will be setting up for the Chantilly show on Friday. How does that fit with your location? I will probably have an extra pass if you need one.
Unread 10-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Didn't even know there was a Chantilly show George... where is it?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 10-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #9
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dulles Expo Center I66 and Hwy28, 1000 tables. Doug Smith will be there as well as Shattuck and several others. The August show probably had about 100 Lugers. I expect this one will have more.

Bring lots of money or your bank card. My tables are right next to the ATM machine.
Unread 10-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

I have heard that the Chantilly, Va show is developing into a first class show. It is approximatly a ten hour drive for me so I can't catch the winter shows. But I am planning on catching a summer show. I will be watching for the August show.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

To all,
sometimes when an original stock got broken, the owner would put the original iron on a repro wood. Most of us also have seen where an artillery stock iron was numbered and also had proof marks on the wood. But the wood just didn't look right. There were comments on this forum about it and it was concluded that the stock in question was a repro because the wood looked too newish and that the proofs were too crisp. Also confounding the situation is that in the latter part of WW1, the quality of workmanship deteriorated and you will find some serial numbers on the stocks neck and not on the iron. If my memory serves me right, John Walter in his book 'The Luger Book', has a picture of such a stock.

My conclusion is that there is sometimes a judgement call as to whether or not a stock is original or original enough. Look at the wood and compare it to known origial stocks for the proper aging. Look at the serial numbers. Are they the proper size and style? And on and on. But it is hard to pass on a stock that is proofed and also has the serial number of a Luger that you own.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
Don H.
User

I'm going to try and post some pictures as soon as I can.
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm... don't drive...

$206 miles round trip Detroit-Dulles... 10 minutes from the show. Leave your guns home and just bring your checkbook You couldn't drive to Detroit for that little money in your RV, now could you?