LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-15-2001, 10:45 AM   #1
5card
User

Default snail mag

I have purchased a repro snail mag. does anyone have any info?

Unread 04-15-2001, 01:59 PM   #2
dm
User

Default Re: snail mag

Four years ago I saw one that was stamped with the manufacturing date (made in the 1960's). The follower was plastic and the mag would not fit in a luger but it looked like a good reproduction on visual inspection. It was for sale, in 1997, for $50 but did I don't know what it actually sold for. There are also repro pouches--saw two of those yesterday.

Unread 04-16-2001, 01:02 AM   #3
MK

I seem to remember those things as being made by a company called Bingham. They were commonly advertised in Shotgun News during the late seventies, early 80's. I think the outfit even made a snail drum for 1911's. $39 is what I remember the price being.

Mike

Unread 04-16-2001, 05:43 AM   #4
Patrick
User

The German toy company Bing in Nurenburg (now the largest maker of carburettors) and the electrical company AEG made TMs (snail drum magazines). There used to be eastern European and Asian repros on the market, but it was said that they could only be loaded with about eight rounds. They looked OK but they weighed a lot less. Maybe these will also become collectors�´ items after a while. The real TMs are useless without the loading tool - but only one loading tool was issued with five TMs. So the tool should be more valuable than the TM. Patrick

Unread 04-16-2001, 07:16 AM   #5
tomheller

If your repro TM is of the Japanese variety, these were originally sold by Collector's Armoury with their potmetal LPO8 and will only fit this luger without modification. Also, since their is no main spring, they will not function in a real luger. Strickly for display purposes.

Unread 04-16-2001, 09:21 PM   #6
Tracy

There were some leather holsters made for these snail drums they were dated 1915. The construction was pretty good I have 3 someplace along with 2 repo drums of all metal construction. Like Tom said good for display only.

Unread 04-18-2001, 04:11 AM   #7
Patrick
User

... just received the latest copy of DWJ (Deutsche Waffen Journal). Four snails on offer. The best, a type 2 for 1800 Marks and the lowest priced one, a type 1 that has to be re-assembled for 600 Marks (I take it the Mark is about 30 US Cents) Patrick

Unread 04-21-2001, 11:22 AM   #8
5card
User

Looking to view the snail mags posted in Deutsche Waffen Journal. Where can I get a copy?