LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-19-2001, 07:38 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Of Grip Screws, Threaded Pin Holes and Grips....

Well - just got home and tested the theory of whether the inside threaded holes would accept the grip screws.. Here are three results. t would be interesting to see if others find a similar result:

Krieghoff - Black HK grips - sure does..!

BYF BW '42 - sure does!

Krieghoff - Brown Plastic Grips (1937 Course checkered) - no way!!!!:-)

Interesting... Maybe the scenario of folks disassembling and using the grip panel in the field isn't far off (unless you were in the Luftwaffe during the early years )

Unread 06-19-2001, 07:55 PM   #2
Tracy

Default Re: Of Grip Screws, Threaded Pin Holes and Grips....

John just posted you below. I had tried to put the grip screws in the Brown Widow (Krieghoff) and they would'nt go.

Thanks for your reply on your thoughts on the grips.

Bob

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:05 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Yep - I'm..

finding the same thing.. On the course checkered brown HK grips (I've tried 4 sets so far!!) - none will fit.. But - on the HK Black grips and the set of grips for the BW - they all fit...??!!

Also - a pleasure to have helped you out with identifying your HK grips - they are great!!..! Thanks for the pics - nice job in taking them!!!

John D.

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:19 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts

Hi John! Do the 1937 HK grips that the screw dosen't fit, have threaded holes, or are they smooth sided? till...later...G.T.

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:30 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi G.T.....!

OK - the 1937, 1938 and 1939 P-code (all course brown grips) have TWO threaded holes - somewhat smaller then the HK black grips and the BW grips... But yes - they ARE threaded...

HTH!!!

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:49 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi John! :)

Hi John! The plot thickens!! the fact that the brown grips, that the screw does not fit in, has two threaded holes....would seem to support Marvins extraction theory, as what would be their purpose otherwise?.....the two threaded holes make even more sense, as they probably went to one hole, when they started reducing unnecessary steps in production! (make a hundred of something, and see how quick you start thinking this way!) I think that the screws fit the Mauser grips because the holes, thread, and material will yield enough to allow this....I am incline to believe that the threads were part of the molding process, as it would be difficult to remove the grips from the mold otherwise, all theory of course, but a great thread, none the less! till....later....G.T. (John, I wish I had even one set of HK grips to look at! your collection must be outstanding!)

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:08 PM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Hi John! :b Hi GT!
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:13 PM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi G.T....(again:) ).!

I agree with yours and Marvin's deductions as well. However, why do the Brown grips have TWO holes but the black grips only have one??? Did Mauser black grips ever have TWO holes??

Also - I also find it interestng that the BW and the black HKs are so similiar - almost as if they were the same supplier as Mauser. But it appears there may be minor differences in either the material or the molding process..??

For example - comparing my '42 BW production to my HK 1942 - the inside of the grips seem to be a "smoother" finish then the BYF/Mauser. But - that could be a mold or production run difference?? Additionally, my 1940 HK has that same "smooth" finish as the 1942 HK inside grips (I do not have an earlier production BYF/Mauser BW to compare these against..??!!)

So - could all these black grips have come from the same supplier?? If so - are the variations due to differences in either materials or molding processes??? And if Mauser and HK went to the same supplier - then why did Mauser continue to prefer Walnut while HK went to black grips as early as 1940???

Wow - my simple mind is reeling!!!

I agree - this is an excellent thread!!!

(BTW: G.T. Anytime you'd like to come up - you are more then welcome to view my collection of Lugers..!! )

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:14 PM   #9
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Hugh! :b .....
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:37 PM   #10
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Hi John....question :|
Do these look like original Krieghoff?

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/krieghoffbrown.jpg
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:40 PM   #11
Tracy

For all. I sent John pictures of the grips that were on the Luger Listed in tread as Brown Widow) that I purchased from AIM. He identified them as being 1938 Course Brown Kriegoffs so I did luck out when I bought the S/42 1940 that AIM had advertised.

Tracy

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:50 PM   #12
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Can you send me...

a larger photo of the left hand grip - esp near the grip screw area and the clip button release??? Also - the left top for the safety looks mighty clean edged - so a close up of that area would be neat - as well as the right top grip (the edge looks pretty narrow)..

Finally - the right hand *inside* should have two THIN protrusions - do you have a shot of that, maybe??

Guess I'm totally "undecided" 'till I can focus my eyes better on the details in this tiny photo!!!

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:53 PM   #13
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Can you send me...

I will when I get them! I just bought them on eBay as repros. The description said "Krieghoff Type". I can hope, cant I?

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:57 PM   #14
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Very Funny... 8)

I knew something looked strange - but didn't want to say they were repros until I saw the details and could walk you through what I thought... Seems some folks get really upset when I tell them things look - ummm - "not original"...

LOL!!!!

Unread 06-19-2001, 11:06 PM   #15
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default You bet!! They are in nice shape as well....!!!

It was a pleasure to have helped you out on that... I just wish I knew more about S/42s so I could have participated on that thread..!!!

Frankly - I think you got a great deal on that Luger..!!!!

Unread 06-19-2001, 11:12 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi John.....& Hugh!

Hi John! I really don't know why they were different in subtle ways here and there, but if I were to guess, I would think they (the molds) were made to print....so, althought mostly similar, they would exhibit minor differences, especially in finish! This could happen as a result of different manufactures, or different machinists in the same factory! Also molds tend to wear and suffer from adjustments and use, it could be that the Mauser molds suffered from this, as their production numbers were far higher.....As the threaded pin removal theory is just that, theory....I would venture a guess that it was just a positive attempt to have a good part from the mold....if Marvin's theory is correct, then one of the pins would have to be loose, or float in some way, so it could be removed first.....if they found they could get by with just one pin, then the second pin would disappear in a heartbeat!

I think that making the Black Widow grips was not an easy or fast process, certainly many times faster then making walnut grips, but still labor intensive compared with the ease and speed of the plastic parts that are made now!

Perhaps Patrick can querry some of the Germans on this process, I would really like to know if our assumptions have merit.....And, I would love to view your HK collection, we shall have to see what the future holds! Till....later.....G.T.

Unread 06-20-2001, 04:22 AM   #17
Patrick
User

Default Holes and Stamps

G.T. G?¶rtz states categorically that the threaded holes were to extract the grips from the mold - and not for the grip screws. He states that they were neither meant nor suited for that purpose. There is no substantiation in the form of directives or orders that grip screws were to be kept in the threaded holes. On the contrary, disassembly in the field was not permitted.

The first and best known supplier of plastic grips was H. R?¶mmler AG in Spremberg whose code was â??32â? ; the abbreviation â??HRSâ? was also used as a stamp. Plastic grips

stamped â??MPDâ? were approved by the Staatliche Materialpr?¼fungsamt Berlin-Dahlem (State Material Testing Facility) and a â??Tâ? denoted the type of phenol resin used. Code â??8964â? denoted a resin content of 90% and â??64â? denoted a marble pattern in the material.

As plastic material was first used in large scale production during WWII, methods and materials changed during development. Towards the end of the War, most raw materials were scarce and had to be substituted. Other suppliers did not use these stamps and the materials they used were not tested. This is all I could find -Patrick

Unread 06-20-2001, 07:02 AM   #18
Marvin
User

Default Re: Holes and Stamps

Patrick,

I knew you would come through with the information on the threaded holes! Thanks for your search on this. Wow, this entire thread has been a real learning experience for me. It always amazes me of some small, almost insignificant detail, that can shed so much light on this subject. I wish someone with a good writing skill could compile all this information on the BW grips and put it into the General Information Section. This is great and I for one, sure appreciate all the input from the members of this Forum. Thanks guys and this is what this Forum is for; Learning more about Lugers!

marvin

Unread 06-20-2001, 07:36 AM   #19
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Thanks Patrick!! :)

Thanks Patrick! I can just visualize that mold splitting open and a brand new black plastic grip setting on top of those pins in mid air! I can almost smell them! Ahhh, The power of Lugers! till......later.....G.T.

Unread 06-20-2001, 07:58 AM   #20
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default WOW..!

I din't know where or how you find this info - BUT THANK YOU for sharing it with us!!!!!