LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-13-2002, 01:34 AM   #21
Hugh
RIP

Default I love my Lugers,

and have about 10 times more of them than 1911's, but for serious social occasions I carry my Colt Officers Model 45 ;

Unread 04-13-2002, 02:40 AM   #22
JAMES
User

Default Re: WHAT THE MYSTIC ABOUT A LUGER??

I'm not in the service, but I remember that one consideration is the .45 is not a "humane" cartridge, i.e. it can really maim a person. The new "rules of war" look down on those kinds of weapons. It is also harder to shoot because of the recoil.

Unread 04-13-2002, 02:50 AM   #23
JAMES
User

Default 1911

1911 hands down. Powerful, A friend who was in Vietnam shot a NVA in the wrist, and it spun him around and threw him to the ground. They're rugged too, betcha you could drop it in a bucket of wet cement and it would still fire! Also, the louder the bullet is, the more psycholgical impact on the enemy.

Lugers still are the kings, 1911's are the soldiers.

Unread 04-13-2002, 03:59 AM   #24
Thor
User

Default Re: 1911

Very interesting story I read a few years back cataloguing the views of many of the leading handgun editors that all had high acclaim for all the different cartridges from 9mm on up. BUT.....BUT when they were asked the caliber of the gun they carried personally???? 45 was hands down favorite. I sure like my H&K 45 ACP with those nice Federal 230gr HydraShoks! Thor

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:07 AM   #25
Marvin
User

Default Re: My combat choice!

Tom,

I agree with all your sentiments on the 1911-A1. It is THE combat handgun to me also. I don't need all the fancy abidextrious stuff, the double action, or the large capacity magazines. I can use either hand to fire with, I can **** the hammer ina milisecond, and I can change a magazine quickly too! A combat handgun was for defense and you should know when it may be required. I considered it may last defensive measure and the old .45 never let me down!

As to the late unpleasentness in Southeast Asia, I still prefer the AK-47 over the M-16 for that type warfare.

Marvin

Unread 04-13-2002, 02:51 PM   #26
MikeP
User

Default Re: Luger Mystique

In reference to the post about wounding being preferable to killing-we all have read that drivel before-Whoever started that was a REMF or a draft dodger or someone who has never been out of his yard.--No Offense to Hannah for repeating it.

The only time you ever point a weapon at a human being is to use it to take his life-right then.

You are doing that because that individual has placed you in a situation where your life or the lives of your family or people are in mortal danger.

You shoot him and you kill him-a live armed person is a threat-period.

Best you use a real gun like a .45-two in the chest, one in the head and one in the groin to bleed him out.

Guns ain't toys.

Unread 04-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #27
schwob
RIP

Default Re: I love my Lugers, plus

Having been down on the street, I'll take my 'Python' in the .357, up close and personal, across the street, even through the car door. The "look" of that hand cannon has 'cooled' many an enraged soul.......kwikly!!!!

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #28
tom
User

Default Re: My combat choice!

Hi Marvin,

I agree with you on the M-16; IMHO, the bullet weight was too light for a jungle environment. I did have *spectacular* results, however, with an M-14 that I "acquired" from an atypical source of supply.

I arranged to have the barrel clipped just ahear of the gas cylinder nut and had the stock bobbed just past the pistol grip. Pappa San obligingly braised two 20 round mags together for me and i *engineered* the two mag springs so that I could accomodate 17 rounds.

This baby was my brush gun and was exceptionally effective at getting bad guys out of bamboo. I ALWAYS had noise superiority!

Tom

Unread 04-14-2002, 01:15 AM   #29
Jimbo
User

Default Re: Tom -- Amen brother! (EOM) (EOM)