LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-27-2001, 12:15 AM   #1
Tinman

Default Interior marks..??

I posted 2 more pice of the inside of this luger I got. (You guys must be getting tired of me spongein' by now)

They're at the bottom of the page with the referance marks off to the side. This pistol's gettin to be more and more intrestin'.....

http://www.eandrenterprises.com/luger

Unread 11-27-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Interior marks..??

An interesting perspective... we don't get many internal shots here. Thanks.

Unread 11-27-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Tinman,

I sure wish I could see the photos, but when I click on the link, I get a "Forbidden" notice from my work computer. My company has certain "objectionable" sites blocked by a firewall I can't get thru. Can you describe the stamps, they sound interesting?

Marvin

Unread 11-27-2001, 01:58 PM   #4
Thor
User

Luger Variations by Harry Jones has some listings for "frame well" markings. Marvin gave me this very nice (though some of the info is "dated")book. If someone else doesn't research for you, I will try and do it tonight! I am up to my ears in putting together a K date for Lonnie Zimmerman and packing Don Leverty's Artillery for shipment! Oh, the joys of LIFE! ~~THOR~~

Unread 11-27-2001, 02:56 PM   #5
Dok
RIP

Default That doesn't sound like...

a man who's sitting at home with nothing to do!!!

Unread 11-27-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
Tinman

Default Sounds like...

a labor of love to me. Thanks for the research offer. I'm living at the library lately......no luck yet....

Unread 11-27-2001, 09:44 PM   #7
Thor
User

Tinman, the only thing I found was the circle N indictes (By Harry Jones, dont shoot the messanger) a DWM ARTILLERY, the other single letter stamps are surely individual inspectors marks when one part of the assembly was completed and verified as acceptable by the indiviual inspector. The 8,83 is the land diameter in mm of the bore, the 970 is part of the serial number. Good luck and wish I could tell you more! ~Thor~

Unread 11-27-2001, 10:57 PM   #8
bill m
User

Default Circle N mark

Hi,

The circle N is almost always found on 1920 commercial Lugers. Apparently it was used before also. The fake navy that I think I mentioned awhile back was made up of a 1920 commercial and had the cirle N in the interior. Apparently what they do is use the frame, toggle, and strawed parts of a 1920. I've seen K-dates and Imperial Navy's messed with this way, as well as a 1938 Banner Army. Whenever you see the circle N in the interior, you want to be careful and really look things over.

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:07 PM   #9
Tinman

Default Thanks Thor & Bill..

Sounds like I've got a nicely done "shooter" artillery rebuild. Another source tells me it might be a police rework. I know all this is based on photos but I really appreciate the way all of you came together and helped me out on this.

Off to the range..{)

One thought came to mind.. I thought all artillery models had the 6 or 8" barrels.. Also, if this was originally an arty can I put a stock on it?

http://www.eandrenterprises.com/luger

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:23 PM   #10
larry
User

Default Re: Not Artillery Luger

Don't think you Luger was an artillery, no flat spot on top of the receiver where the sight rested.

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:24 PM   #11
bill m
User

Default Re: Thanks Thor & Bill..

Hi,

I just looked at your pictures closely and wondered what the number was on the left frame rail in front of the side plate? Also, as someone mentioned before, the frame and grips looks like they have the remains of a magazine safety that has been clipped. If that is the case, then the receiver should have a sear safety on it, which it does not, or a whole where the sear safety was pinned, which it does not appear to have. Since the frame looks like it came off of a police Luger, are there any front grip strap marking or grind marks?

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:47 PM   #12
Thor
User

Default Re: Not Artillery Luger

Tinman, I agree and like many said you need to understand my source is the ONLY one I have and it is OLD OLD OLD and that is one reason I waited for others to respond that MIGHT have something more definitive, but I didnt want you not to get any answers. Sometimes you have to stick your neck out to get responses yanno! I would say definetly if your Luger didnt come with the proper rear sight and barrel, DONT attach any stock to it! I have never studied the subject of frame markins so I have a LOT to learn! Glad you are getting some responses! Thor

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:56 PM   #13
Tinman

Default OK.. No stock....

That's what I wanted to hear... Thanks for the heads up.. I read the thread on building up a artillery repro so I know what you mean.... I have no desiree to reside at club fed....

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:04 AM   #14
Tinman

Default No..

I didn't see any evidence of a mag saftey or a sear safety... No strap markings of any kind or any grind marks,flat spots, thinned straps. As far as the number you asked about I'm not seeing a number...But I am beginning to think that I have a junked together shooter that was cobbeled from differant guns with the same last 2 numbers or maybe repro parts stamped to match.. Oh well,,, I hope it's at least a good shot.

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:21 AM   #15
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: No..

Tinman; if this is to much for you, I will be glad to take it off your hands for $500.

Lonnie

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:31 AM   #16
Tinman

Default HA..HA..HA..

That's funny....(meant in good humor)

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:33 AM   #17
bill m
User

Default Magazine Safety

Hi,

Your picture shows the left grip with a notch cut out of it in the upper front corner and what looks to be the clipped part of a magazine safety, but perhaps it isn't? Sure looks like it though. From what I think I am seeing, I'd say you have a Luger made up of two different Lugers. The barrel and receiver is from one gun and the frame is from another. Just guessing though from the pictures, and the crown N.

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:33 AM   #18
Thor
User

Default Re: HA..HA..HA..

Same here!!! I love both movies!

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:38 AM   #19
Tinman

Default Re: Magazine Safety

Nope, Nothing under there.... All the numbers match but a few here agree with you. It's still a well fitted piece and the action is smoother than my Kimber. It should shoot well.

Thor, Get ready for another refinish job. Maybe a new barrel too.....

Unread 11-28-2001, 12:41 AM   #20
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: Magazine Safety

Tinman; just tore my 1917 down and it has the N on the same places that you do but the other numbers are different but in the same place. It is in the ns numbers so is a lot earlier. But maybe your frame and cannon are original.

I think so. Lonnie