LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
dhusker
User

Default Help with new stock!

I just received my new stock from CMR and am very pleased with the quality and fit of wood to iron. One problem.....I can't get the #@#$#% thing on my 1917 arty. It goes half way to the detent and stops. I reversed it to see if the lug would fit the grooves and it does.
Any idea what the wood is? It does not look like the typical wood in repros.
Help!

Please help!!

dhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,200 Posts

It probably needs some minor fitting. The factory stuff had the same problem, lol.

Tiny files and some patience will probably cure the problem.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Remember that the Germans number matched everything once it was fitted... you will have to fit that iron to the Luger very carefully. I recommend you take the iron off the wood for the fitting process. You can blacken the iron (where it actually contacts the pistol) with the black smoke of an ordinary candle, and then attempt to carefully install it. Where ever the black is removed in the attempt to mount the pistol, is where you need to gently remove the metal until it slips on the Luger...use cold blue to touch up where you have to file/grind. If you are good with a dremel, that is the tool to use, if you are not, have a gunsmith do the fitting.

MAKE no adjustments in steel on the pistol of course...

The wood looks like european walnut to me and very nice grain at that!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I use fine, small curved file called a riffler. It gets into that narrow curved channel of the stock iron pretty well, and I have been all that adept with a dremel. You usually can find them at decent hobby or tool store.
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
raygun
User

Thats a nice looking repo , who sells them and how much do they cost ?
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Mauser720
User

dhusker -

I have never used a dremel tool to fit a stock iron; however, I have used one on some other projects. My own tool is one of the "old fashioned" ones that runs at top speed all the time. You just plug it in, turn it on, and it is spinning at about 35,000 revolutions per minute. The problem I have with this dremel tool is that unless you really slow it down, you are vulnerable to removing a lot more metal than you wanted or needed to remove. And it can happen so quick that the damage is done before you realize it.

So as a suggestion, always use a dremel tool that has an adjustable rate of revolutions per minute. (rpm) If your dremmel tool does not have such a feature, (in other words it's like the old one I use) there is another way that you can slow the rpm down.

Some electric sewing machines, especially the older ones, will have a floor pedal that operates a rheostat and this is how you control the speed of the sewing machine. You can use one of these sewing machine pedals, and plug your dremel tool into it, and it will allow you to use the foot pedal to either speed up or slow down the rpm of the tool. My own preference is to do this rather than risk removing too much metal all at once because the tool is spinning so fast.

Everyone is correct in telling you to be very patient, and just remove a tiny bit at a time. And John's suggestion to blacken the area with candle suet is also a great idea.

Mauser720 - Ron
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
dhusker
User

The stock is from CMR International of Ashford Kent, England The cost is $165.00 plus shipping. They are very, very hard to get. Mine has been on backorder for several months. They also make a very good holster rig for $95.00.
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
raygun
User

Quote:
Originally posted by dhusker
The stock is from CMR International of Ashford Kent, England The cost is $165.00 plus shipping. They are very, very hard to get. Mine has been on backorder for several months. They also make a very good holster rig for $95.00.
Thanks , I had a look at their web site , they certainly do nice stuff . holsters are very cheap for the apparent quality. suppose they are made in pakistan , but what the heck, getting too hard and too expensive to find an original . Funny thing here in oz , its perfectly legal to own the pistol and shoulder stock , but we can't import one , not even with a permit !

I can import a pistol after much paperwork , but not the stock ! some nonsense about being able to make the gun more concealable by removing the stock , but when they wrote the legislation they didn't take into account that if you already had the pistol , by adding the stock you were making it longer !
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
dhusker
User

Quote:
Originally posted by raygun
Thanks , I had a look at their web site , they certainly do nice stuff . holsters are very cheap for the apparent quality. suppose they are made in pakistan , but what the heck, getting too hard and too expensive to find an original . Funny thing here in oz , its perfectly legal to own the pistol and shoulder stock , but we can't import one , not even with a permit !

I can import a pistol after much paperwork , but not the stock ! some nonsense about being able to make the gun more concealable by removing the stock , but when they wrote the legislation they didn't take into account that if you already had the pistol , by adding the stock you were making it longer !
Sounds like the government I know and love.

"Arms Maintain Peace"

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, will find themselves plowing the conqueror's fields."
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

raygun, can you import a stock iron without the stock? If so, it might be a loophole... you could get a stock iron only and create your own stock!

What do you think?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 06-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
Fazer
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The head people from Customs were just over here last week and we had a meeting with them. The subject of stock/holsters was brought up. They could understand the principle, but the people that make the laws for customs to follow are dead against holster/stocks. The say they can turn a semi auto pistol in to a semi-auto rifle, which is banned here.

It's all a strange set up. You can buy and sell them if they are here, you just can't import them. I had a broomhandle holster, it had no stock iron knocked back. I tried to explain that the stock had been modified so as not to to able to be used on a pistol, but no good. Same with a guy who had an Inglis and rig sent in.

I did try to explain that I could knock up a shoulder stock for the pistol in the shed chaper and easier than I could get an original, but that ment nothing.

It will just take many people bringing the subject up to customs and maybe they will change the law.I for one am not holding mybreath.
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #12
raygun
User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sabato
raygun, can you import a stock iron without the stock? If so, it might be a loophole... you could get a stock iron only and create your own stock!

What do you think?
yes that would probably work John . sepperated , one is just a piece of wood and the other a metal fitting !

Its just crazy the way they carry on about such things . the gun is registered to a licensed owner and each purchase has to be individually approved by police permit . License holders have an impecable record of safety but we still can't import a simple part like a stock to complete our collectors piece . but thats the grubmint for you.

fortunately we now have a new , more gun friendly prime minister , who we hope might cut us a bit of slack on some of the more extreme gun laws we have .
Unread 06-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Raygun, The stock iron is available separately from several sources but not consistently... sometimes they are in short supply. I suggest you contact Tom Heller, place a request to buy the stock iron in the WANTED forum... and of course, you can contact CMR who market not only parts but reproduction holsters and stocks... I do remember that CMR does carry the stock iron without the stock.

Unread 06-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
raygun
User

Thanks for your advise John . I shall do that .
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
dhusker
User

raygun,

If you get a stock and iron, the fitting can be tedious. I ended up using triangular file, emery paper and a candle. Johns candle trick was invaluable because the last area to fit was not the slot edges, but the bottom face of the slot.....the only thing that worked was folded emery paper.
Thanks John for the candle trick.