LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-03-2002, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Back from the range again!

Took my 1936 shooter to the range again. It works really great with the cheapie Walmart 115 gr. ammo. (It did work fine with Wolf steel case ammo--but the steel case is a concern.) Anyway, thanks Luke, Frank and Roadkill.

Shot a 3 1/4 inch 14 shot group, all in the black at 25 yards (two hands, I'm not as steady as I used to be). The sight elevation is good using a 6 O'clock hold (standard NRA 25 yard bullseye target) and the windage is off about an inch to the left (after widening the rear notch to the right).

Thanks for the hints on the trigger Hugh. Its smoothing up a little more with use.

Unread 05-04-2002, 04:16 AM   #2
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Back from the range again!

Now that you've got one shooting right, what do you think of a Luger in comparison to other military wwI-II era firearms? I've got a Remington 1911A1 made in 1945 that probably should be in a collection but I shoot it anyway, straight military issue, and my 1918 Erfurt which is also common as dirt, and there is no way to really compare them against each other. Complete different ends of the spectrum. Other than being handguns and military, that's it. Good shooting.

Unread 05-05-2002, 12:04 AM   #3

Roadkill,

My first love is the 1911. I have quite a few. It's true that a standard as issued WWI 1911 (I have 3) had a lot of shortcomings: small sights, rough trigger, questionable accuracy, etc. The 1911 safety is better than the Luger's, it is quicker to rack a slide than work a toggle, and the 1911 is probably more reliable when dirty.

I have to admit the Luger is neeeeeater, but I probably won't get more than one. I was at a gun show in Ft. Myers today and found a nice original 1936 like mine (not reblued and only the trigger bar number not matching). I offered $100 below asking price and was relieved when turned down--maybe I can recover a bit from Luger fever.

I had my 1911s reworked years ago ruining the collector value: good sights, trigger jobs, stippeled frames, tight bushings, barrels and slides. They are one hole guns at 25 yards (one carry gun with S&W revolver sights, one hardball gun with micro sights and one gallery gun with full Bomar rib). I wouldn't part with these nor would I trade any of them for the best Luger in the world.

Nevertheless, the Luger is neeeeeat. I carry a lightweight S&W 3914 9 mm because of it's size and weight. It's reliable with hollowpoints, etc. but it doesn't excite me. However, it's the most practical gun I have.

Anyway, as the saying goes, I have more guns than I need but less than I want. By the way, I have several genuine Colt SAAs. I don't know what they are good for, but they are also neeeeeat. As you can tell I like guns, but they gotta shoot. No wallhangers for me.

Unread 05-05-2002, 12:26 AM   #4

Roadkill,

As you probably can tell from my 1911 discussion, I don't place a lot of emphasis on a gun being in original condition as long as it's in nice presentable shape--lots of blue, even if it's reblue. Most of my 1911's have been modified (all by topnotch gunsmiths, I hate junk and butcher jobs). I would like a Luger with adjustable S&W revolver sights (maybe Hugh would like to try this) and a good usable safety that could be released by the shooting hand (like the extended 1911 thumb safetys).

Unread 05-05-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
Roadkill
User

I mentioned earlier that Lugers would be difficult for me to appreciate without the background in other guns, do you shoot the SAAs?

I'd like to try an origonal one once, I get on blackpowder kicks occasionally, have two of them, I just like shooting overall. I like military configurations, use a Walther PP in .32 as a carry gun, isn't powerful but reliable, accurate, and most importantly concealable.

Roadkill

Unread 05-05-2002, 11:35 PM   #6

Roadkill,

Yes, I shoot everything I have once in a while. I have a 2nd generation .45 Colt and a 3rd generation .44 Special, both perfect mechanically with 95+ percent blue. I've outgrown and traded away others (a junky .45 Colt and a Hartford 44-40). They don't group like my good 1911s do (I'm sure it's the small sights and mediocre trigger), but I like to shoot a spinner plate target with them (any hit makes it spin wildly). I guess I watched too many cowboy movies. Incidentally, I also have a Ruger .44 mag Blackhawk with good sights and 2 pound trigger that shoots 1 hole groups with hot ammo. I carry it on my boat, there is a lot of nasty stuff in the water here.

I like the Walther PP, once had a PPK. The PPK shot like a target gun. Too big for pocket carry which I do with a lightweight Colt Mustang when a holster is awkward.

As far as really neat, I guess the Luger is #1, the SAA #2, and the 1911 #3. Really practical for me is the S&W 3914 (carried the most--9mm and lighter than a PP). If I didn't have to conceal it, the 1911 would be the one I carried.