LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Stuck in the Sixties

Some of my indeterminate rambling again, but I'm noticing a rather large effect on the appraisal of value on lugers by what they were when they could have been /were purchased whenever versus what they are today. I repeatedly see folks here, when asked for an appraisal on the value of a luger by some well intended however inexperienced novice to lugers, and invariably its a shooter, but sometimes a decent overall gun with a flaw such as nonmatching magazine, presenting a value of much lower than what a similar gun is being advertised on auction forums or gunshows. Maybe its a classic case of "I remember when I could have got that same gun for $______ " or "I bought one just like it for $_______ " or I'd never pay more than $_______ " or "I sold one just like that for $_______." But when they decide to part with one in similar condition the price is inflated far beyond that which they were previously criticising. I'm sure part of it is human nature in that we hold that which we own dearer than that of someone else, or maybe there are folks stuck in the 60s regarding prices. This criticality tends to be more dominate in those who have been at it the longest.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

I see it here from time to time, and my self, well what I paid and what I well for, are sometime two different thing....amen brother amen! very well put!
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

RK, I agree with you, I also think it "safer" to go a bit lower for "shooter" prices, because I can't see it. I also think most $800-$900 shooters are not selling on the auction boards, but I could be wrong. Houston Collector arms had several shooters that were not bad priced for several months.

That said, I have noticed several long time collectors and they still talk like a luger is worth $350-$400, I think it is because that is what they are willing to buy at a gunshow?

Isn't that the reason we started the value question with pictures on the members board? So folks could see what us collectors really feel are accurate prices?

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

RK,

I may be one of the people guilty of what you describe. Its not from having bought cheap and early, however--regretfully, I wasn't buying in the Golden Era. I am personally of the conviction that there is generally a difference--a disconnect--between a Luger's value and its price, prices usually being higher--sometimes very much higher.

For this reason I generally try to avoid evaluating Lugers in public forum, but sometimes I just can't help it.

In private, or in person, when somebody asks me what their Luger is worth I generally give them three figures--what I would buy it for, how much I would want to sell it, and the amount I would like to insure it for. You can imagine the differences.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Part of its is the intrinsic or "non gun" value. This is the advalorem because of it by being a luger. Along with that is the historical, aesthetic, sinister, and rarity considerations. You aren't just evaluating the gun and its condition. Much more complicated than that.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Ron Smith
User

If and when I either evaluate or sell a Luger. I do the best to keep it at a realistic value.

If I give an estimated value to a newbee, I make a concerted effort to give them the value in mid "ball park" range. ie; $800-$1000 +. I will add the + as an indication that someone could be willing to pay more. Not necessarily that it is worth more.

When selling one, I , like anyone else want to get as much as I reasonably can out of it, but try not to gouge or take advantage of the emotional "sweaty palms, gotta have it" aspect often involved.

When buying one, I will try to get the best price agreeable at both ends. "When it ends with a smile and a handshake, it was a good trade." An old "Horse Traders" motto.

On the other hand. There are the "My Uncle's, Brother's, Cousin's bartender said it's worth $65,000. So you're trying to rip me off." types.

Just my thoughts...

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
wterrell
User

The monetary relationship to guns that govern any transaction in which I am involved is a macabre inverted relationship of worth/scarcity to cost. Whenever I am considering the acquisition of any item, it is invariably the only one of its kind in captivity. Whenever the love affair has waned a bit and I wish to sell, a shipload of this item has always just arrived at the port in Miami or Albuquerque, or somewhere. I consider myself fortunate to be able to give it away. I have learned to judge my successful purchases using the "Oh, my God!" scale as uttered under the breath of my wife and daughters. The more distinct and audible the phrase, the more successful my acquisition.

But, if any should, for some unknown reason, ask my advice on the value or worth of an item speculated for purchase, I do believe that my cool would be very disquieted and I would not be able to give a reasonable opinion. But until that day I will remain as the lovestruck spinster waiting for someone to pop the question.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,426 Posts

The ole Wes we know and love is back!
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)