LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
ToddC
User

Talking New gun for me. Feeding issues

Ok, I finally got my luger. I cleaned then took it shooting today.

Almost 100 years old and it is balls on accurate. It has been rebuilt, may be new barrel. I don't know enough to tell the difference.

Problem 1: When shooting, about every third shot feeds high and jams the action open with the bullet cocked at an angle jammed on the top of the opening for the chamber.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...odel=3230zP-08
Problem 2: Referring to the parts list from the above link, the Firing Pin Spring Guide(24) popped out of the Breech Block(17) while firing.
I don't know if the tab on the guide is worn or the catch on the block is warn through. The block is listed as out of stock at Numrich.
I would like to replace the breach and it's integrated parts.(ejector, ejector spring, firing pin, fp spring and guide.).
Any suggestions of were to get the best deal on parts?

Your suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
ToddC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Contact Tom Heller in the For Sale forum... he should have any replacement parts you should need for those that you have that are worn. You won't beat him on price either unless somebody GIVES you the parts.

The feeding problem is likely the magazine... Try an original FXO extruded magazine or an East german reproduction... they are the best... or for aftermarket magazines, the Mec-Gar type made in Italy are first rate.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
ToddC
User

After seeing other posts here, I already had sent off an email to Tom at HellerArms about the breach parts.

The feed problem happened with both the original ( I think ) mag that came with the gun and the new mag I bought from Numrich.

Here is the one that came with the gun.

To add another question to the mix....

When the last bullet of a magazine is fired, should the action lock open?
I can manually pull the action to the locked position with an empty mag in place.

Thanks for you patients with a new Luger owner....
Unread 04-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
ToddC
User

Woops
Unread 04-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

This magazine should function properly... it is the east german type that I mentioned above. just make sure it is clean inside and out, lightly lubricated, and fits in the receiver without a lot of slop.

If your Luger locks open when the toggle is pulled on an empty magazine, then YES, it should lock open on the last round... if it doesn't, I suspect that either the ammo is underpowered, or the magazine is not a good fit.

Make sure there is no binding of the magazine button under the right grip. with the top of the gun removed, you should see the holdopen device lift up when an empty magazine is inserted, It should to this effortlessly... if it is the least bit sticky, then the mag button may be rubbing the inside of the grip.

I recommend Winchester bulk box 9mm sold at Walmart for about $11.00 a hundred. This ammo works well in most 9mm Lugers.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
ToddC
User

I ended up taking it back. The costs of this gun was spiraling.

Anyone have a shooter they want to sell?
Unread 04-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Todd, put a "wanted" post in the Wanted to Buy forum... those that have them and might be selling will be glad to contact you.

Unread 04-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
ToddC
User

Thanks for the help John.

I have a bid on Auction Arms right now, but I don't think it will survive.
I bit before I checked the auction end time. When(if) that one fails I'll post again in the wanted area.
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
ToddC
User

well that was quick. I just got out bid.
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
leucoandro
User

Default Exact same 3 Problems

Hello
I just got my first Luger.
It is a 30 luger though (the guy I had ordered it from said that it was a 9mm)

I have to replace the breach block, as I have the same condition you have, except the firing pin guide pops out on mine.
My pistol also does not hold open after the last round is fired, but it does when opening by hand on an empty round. It also stove-pipes, it is worse with the aftermarket mec-gar, the mec-gar binds when fully loaded. also if you put any pressure on the magazine when firing it will jam.
When I took the pistol apart because it would not fire, I found that the firing pin guide would not stay inside the breach block, and that the inside of the action had alot of oil that had aged into almost a greese. I cleaned the parts that were not blued or have straw in jewelry cleaner to get all the old oil out. after I get a new breach block I will be able to see if this made any improvements
leucoandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
Pete Ebbink
User

Todd,

Looks like your luger has a Finnish Tikka barrel...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
stefanosg
User

Just to share my experience. My shooter had some feeding issues as well. I did a complete spring replacement. This helped but not a whole lot and only if I used an aftermarket magazine. The last thing I did was get a magazine spring with extra power and placed it in one of my wwII mags. Since then, I have only had 2 misfeeds in about 300 rounds. The downside is that if you don't have a loading tool, I would highly recommend getting one. With this new spring, I was lucky to get 5 loaded, and 6 was damn near impossible. I did not even try 7. I got a repo tool and can load seven rounds no problem. The best part is, no more misfeeds. That took alot of fun out of the gun.