LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 09-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313 -- An Update

A quick introduction -- my name is Wayne Smith and I live in Mullins, South Carolina. A while back I became interested in Lugers and decided to purchase "one". My research eventually led me to this Forum. I registered, quickly my knowledge increased and my collecting interest sharpened and narrowed. I decided that a Krieghoff was the Luger I would pursue. While talking to a friend with whom I share a common interest in Civil War Relics (he collects WW2 relics as well) the topic of my interest in a Krieghoff came up. Much to my surprise he stated that he had two and would sell me one of them. After some discussion about the Luger he sent me a series of pictures of a 1936 Krieghoff --- serial number 7313. I then began to research the 1936's. I happened to open Tom Whiteman's Krieghoff Serial Number sticky and lo and behold I found that #7313 was listed !! I called my friend and he advised that he knew nothing of the listing which meant that it must have been submitted by a previous owner. I returned to the Krieghoff section on the Forum and did a general search for #7313 and a 2/28/13 entry by Michael Zeleny titled "Three Krieghoff Lugers came up. Opening the entry I found that #7313 was one of the three and that Michael had provided a series of high quality, detailed pictures as well !! Further down his entry I found a 3/1/13 link to a "For Sale" offering and description along with more pictures of #7313. Needless to say I was amazed and stunned. Long story short, my friend and I came to terms a few days later and I am now the proud owner of #7313 !! I want to thank the members of LugerForum for being a part of my pursuit and ultimate purchase of my first Luger. Your knowledge, candor and humor concerning all things "Luger" is much appreciated. I look forward to increasing my knowledge of Lugers which I am sure now will lead to my obtaining a second Luger as owning just "One" is just not going to do it !!

Best Regards,
Wayne
Oldreb is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Oldreb for your post:
Unread 09-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
hayhugh
User

Indeed a very nice gun....http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...Krieghoff+7313
hayhugh is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 09-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Glad to hear that you now have the "sickness"!! There is a tremendous amount of Luger knowledge here on this forum and some very nice, and helpful members. You have tasted the nectar.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 09-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Oldreb
User

Thanks Hayhugh !! I appreciate you importing the "For Sale" post and associated pictures.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
Oldreb
User

Thanks rhuff !! You are correct on every point !! I am sure this Forum and it's members will play a big part in any future Luger purchase I make. I think I am feeling the onset of "Navy Luger" sickness even now !!

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Alton

Congratulations indeed for that fine KRIEGHOFF, and since your next step seems to be a NAVY LUGER I wish you to find one very soon.
Keep us posted.

Rgds

Sergio
Unread 09-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Oldreb
User

Thanks Sergio I will certainly do that !! One does not have to delve very far into collecting Lugers to find that great caution is required. With that in mind, I'm sure I will be utilizing this Forum heavily.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
1933 FORD NUT
User

Default Curiosity

Wayne , Congrats on your new toy and is there any chance you could post close up straight on pics of the outside and inside of the sideplate ? And if possible the chamber date area and the sideplate and receiver serial number area ? Thanks Dave

Last edited by 1933 FORD NUT; 09-23-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fergetfil
1933 FORD NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 1933 FORD NUT for your post:
Unread 09-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
Oldreb
User

Thanks Dave !! There are two sets of very detailed pictures of this gun taken by Michael Zeleny within the Forum. A link to one set is above in a comment by "Hayhugh" The second set can be found by locating a post by Michael on 9/12/13 titled "Three Krieghoff Lugers" under the Krieghoff section. Luger #7313 is one of the three. I am sure I cannot provide pictures of better quality than Michael's - please check out the two sets and see if the angles you are looking for are there. Let me know if you are able to see what you are seeking.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
1933 FORD NUT
User

Wayne , Had looked at them and not really conclusive . Trying to figure out the early and late numbering on the side plate . Normal late " inside " numbering looks OK . Does it have a four pointed star in the front frame well ?

Very interesting HK and again CONGRATS .
Unread 09-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Oldreb
User

Dave, I do not see a 4 pointed star ( or anyother type star) in the front frame well or anywhere else on the gun -- inside or out. The "13" font on the outside of the side plate is a bit larger than the "13" font on the inside of the side plate. The outside font looks to me to be a slightly different style than the inside. You can see this difference in Michael's pictures. As for the outside "13" being "on top" of the bluing or "under the bluing" to me it looks the same as the "13" on the inside of the side plate but I will admit I have never made this type of evaluation before. Hope this helps !! Good Stuff --- I appreciate your interest and welcome your comments.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Wayne,

What I believe is being referred to is the Krieghoff final acceptance stamp. No final acceptance stamp was placed on early guns up to about SN 4000.

But, starting around SN4000, HK started doing a FINAL inspection. They initially used the number 7on the right frame under the grip. Then in late 1936 and going though the 1940 guns, HK placed a Six-pointed star on the right side of the frame under the grips.

There is some sort of mark showing on the photos but I cannot make out details.

FYI, still later small characters in the frame well were used.

John

Last edited by guns3545; 09-24-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Detail time line
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 09-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
1933 FORD NUT
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns3545 View Post
Wayne,

What I believe is being referred to is the Krieghoff final acceptance stamp. No final acceptance stamp was placed on early guns up to about SN 4000.

But, starting around SN4000, HK started doing a FINAL inspection. They initially used the number 7on the right frame under the grip. Then in late 1936 and going though the 1940 guns, HK placed a Six-pointed star on the right side of the frame under the grips.

John
John , It's a " 7 " on this one . The six pointed star [ pic 1 ] would be expected by this ones birthday and that is part of why the question about the 4 point reject [ pic 2 ] star in the front frame well was asked . Gibson page 111 on that . Never documented it in the past but it seems when you see that 4 point reject star there the gun has some oddity on it .

I don't dislike this gun and am not afraid of it but I am definitely curious about the external side plate numbers . Simpsons has a 1937 that has external numbers electro penciled on several parts and their explanation is " unit lever armorer " applied .

That is the reason for wondering if the outside side plate number is through the blue or under it . As stated the fonts look different but pics are not ideal for checking that . Straight on clear inside and outside pics of the side plate would sure help .

Wayne , John is one that you should pay close attention to when he responds . IMHO on that of course but I feel that way . Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 point star.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	52120  

Name:	4 point relect star.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	52121  

Unread 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns3545 View Post
Wayne,

John
Wayne and Dave,

Just FYI, I took a little time and enlarged and lightened the area on the frame under the right grip panel.

The HK final inspector's mark is there. It is a 7. And that is correct for the period.

As mentioned, shortly thereafter HK moved to the six-pointed star indicating final inspection.

Hope this helps.

The mixed form of serialization is anomalous, but nothing surprises me about early HKs or later ones, for that matter.

John

WHOOPS!!!! Sorry Dave, did not see your post. Apologies for stepping on it.

JR
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 09-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Oldreb
User

John and Dave , Thanks for your time and interest. I am in the woods right now so I do not have #7313 in front of me but there is a "7" on the right side of the frame under the grip. It is near the top of spring chamber best I remember. I will photograph straight on photo's of it (7) and the outside of the side plate and do my best to post tonight when I get in. Dave, looking at your photo of the "4 point star" there is for sure not one present. Not sure about what something that has been "electro penciled" looks like but I will check out the Simpson's 1937 and compare. Thanks for the information -- sure making for a thought provoking and enjoyable day in the log woods !!

Best Regards,
Wayne
Unread 09-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313

Frame - Right Side - Under Grip - " 7 "
Attached Images

Unread 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313

Side Plate -- Inside -- " 13 "
Attached Images

Unread 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #18
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313

Side Plate -- Outside -- " 13 " Picture 1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cover Outside 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	52136  

Unread 09-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #19
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313

Side Plate -- Outside -- " 13 " Picture 2
Attached Images

Unread 09-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
Oldreb
User

Default Luger 7313

Frame Well -- 2 Seemingly Precise Dots -- Do these mean anything similar to the 4 Point Star ?

John / Dave -- Last of the pictures I plan to post. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame Well - 2 Dots.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	52138