LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-16-2001, 06:49 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Loading Tool Question

Would it be incorrect to have the following marked loading tool with a byf 42 rig: W 154 proof in a horizontal letter H? Is it more correct to use a tool proofed with a stick eagle over 655?

Unread 07-16-2001, 07:24 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Loading Tool Question

The W154 is a much earlier tool, and either the E/655 or E/135 would be correct.

Unread 07-16-2001, 07:30 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

I spoke without checking, and according to Still all 42 dates were E/135. Anyway the E/655 would be closer than the W154.

Unread 07-16-2001, 07:57 PM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Thank you, John. Anyone want to trade an E/135 for an E/655?

Unread 07-16-2001, 08:37 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

I collect the loading tools and looked a long time before I found the E/135. I am noticing a lot of apparently fake tools at the shows now. When you see a ring with 6 or 8 tools that are so rare that you have only see 1 or 2 in all your years of collecting, something is apparently rotten. Not only that but there will be several varieties of rare tools available.

Unread 07-16-2001, 09:24 PM   #6
Mark McMorrow
User

What about an unmarked loading tool (but one that is absolutely original - came in the holster, right from the vet)?

Mark

Unread 07-16-2001, 10:18 PM   #7
tom h

Default Re:Unmarked Loading tools

Most of these are DWM production, but I have also seen a few unmaked high polish blue ones that I suspect are Mauser commericals.

Unread 07-17-2001, 01:26 AM   #8
Aaron
Banned

I do already have a suitable unmarked one, but my references say that the E/655 tool is okay through 1941. Now the mint holster I have is dated 1941. So did the tools come with the holster or the gun? It seems to me that the holsters and the mags went to the Mauser factory from the manufacturers and the outfits were pieced together by Mauser. Nicht wahr?

Unread 07-17-2001, 06:13 AM   #9
Luke
User

As if there were not enough confusion, I found the following ad while doing an Internet search for "Luger Loading Tool."

****Nice reproduction of the original style loading tool issued with every Luger pistol. As an added bonus, these tools have been STAMPED WITH THE ORIGINAL STYLE EAGLE/63 WAFFENAMT MARKING. Blued finish, will work with any Luger pistolâ?¦$12.50 each***

Unread 07-17-2001, 07:56 AM   #10
tom h

Aaron, To the best of my knowledge, The lugers were shipped in multi-gun crates by the manufactures to the military warehouse for distribution to various units. Whereas the holster manufacturers shipped these to the clothing issue facilites, where they might be mixed in with old rehabed used holster, which were then issued to recruit depots, units for replacement, etc. for further issue to individuals. If the German military was like ours, some individual then had to sign for his to be turned in at a later date or paid for.

Unread 07-17-2001, 08:03 AM   #11
tom h

Aaron, These E/63 Sarco tools are fairly easy to spot, as they were stamped quite deeply and you will see the outline of the whole die face around the waffenamp. The harder repros to spot are the Crown/S Imperial tools coming out of Germany.

Unread 07-17-2001, 08:29 AM   #12
Marvin
User

Tom,

You are so correct that the repros are easy to spot, for now! I have seen a couple of these for sale and the actual body of the tool was not up to the standards of the original tool. What scares me is that whoever is making them will see their problems, correct them, and make tools that will be difficult to determine from an original. I hope the manufacturers are doing the deep stamping so folks can tell they are repros.

Marvin

Unread 07-17-2001, 08:35 AM   #13
Johnny Peppers
User

I agree with Tom that the unmarked tools are in all likelyhood DWM tools. Mauser even marked their replacement tools with the 42 code.

The tools that are hardest to spot are the newly stamped ones on original unmarked tools. This is where I am seeing the really rare tools show up in numbers.