LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-20-2002, 02:43 AM   #1
rufe-snow
User

Post Pastor Munkel From Zumbrota

Many years ago when I collected Military Handguns I bought a Dutch colonial Luger from Harry Jones. Don't remember the exact date, believe it was in the late 70's or early 80's. It was in sad condition and I wanted to have it restored.
Strangely enought the person who was recommended to me for restoration was a Lutheran Minister from Minnesota. It was said that he had restored Lugers for many years and had a reputation for doing excellent work.
I wrote him and explained what I wanted and he agreed to do it.
At this late date I don't recall If I had sent him the Luger for inspection prior to his agreement.
To make a long story short I adventully got the Luger back with restorations I requested.
When I was corresponding with Pastor Munkel he told me he was retiring and that my Luger was the last one he was going to work on.
From my correspondence with him, he seemed to be a very good and genial person.
I wonder at this late date if anybody remembers Pastor Munkel and can say how long he worked on Lugers and how he got started in the restoration business?
I always wondered how a clergyman from a small village in the rural midwest got into the business of restoring Lugers?
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:15 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Wow, there is a name I haven't heard in years! I don't know how Pastor Munkel got started restoring Lugers or when he quit. All I know is that during the '70s any time Luger restoration was mentioned, his name came up. I have never seen his work (at least I don't think I have) but I understand it was very good. Harry Jones told me that Pastor Munkle kept a record of the serial numbers of Lugers he had restored and would tell you if you found a "minty" piece whether he had worked on it or not. I wonder if he is still around.
Unread 09-20-2002, 07:45 PM   #3
Thor
User

Talking

Ron, please check your messages.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
This sounds like a real interesting topic... does anyone else have any information on this person, or his work?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote