LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #21
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Except --- there were 30 luger guns used by railroad and other organizations in germany

I knew about the SU - but the inscribed numbers is in no way normal, looks like much later work. Any new numbers at a depot or unit, I have seen were stamped.
The afore mentioned page 476 of G&S has pictures of two 30 Lugers "militarized" by the Spandau repair depot. The top illustration shows electro-penciled numbers on the extractor and front toggle that match the subject pistol in size, style and location. It is an SU25 marked pistol.

The second pistol is an SU38 stamped 30 Luger converted to 9mm with a Mauser S/42 barrel and the "militarized" numbers are stamped.

It is also pointed out that in 1923/25 there was a clandestine purchase of 3,000 commercial 30 caliber DWM Lugers by the Reichswehr Ministry. The actual order was placed in 1923 for 8,000 30 caliber pistols which were reportedly on hand. A later note indicated that only 3,000 were available and it's thought that the other 5,000 supposedly on hand had been sold to someone for foreign currency cash. A delivery of the remaining 3,000 was made in 1925.

While the Reichswehr Army didn't use 30 Lugers, the police did and many police organizations of that time were clearly paramilitary. I suspect - a logical guess on my part - that at least some of the 3,000 30 caliber Lugers "militarized" by Spandau were issued to paramilitary police units.

It appears that commercial 30 caliber Lugers were acquired and some "militarized" by adding military style serial numbers to the parts by Spandau repair depot. Some remained in 30 caliber while others were converted to 9mm. Some were electro-penciled and others stamped with military numbers. They were also stamped SU and two digits that likely indicate the year.

As the pistol on Proxibid is listed as 30 caliber and no claim is made that it's a rare variation, I don't think that there is any attempt to fool anyone.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 09-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #22
MFC
User

Alphabet commercials began with the 'i' suffix. There are no Alphabet Commercials with a 'g' suffix. The subject gun actually has a 'q' suffix.
Unread 09-22-2021, 02:22 AM   #23
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
Alphabet commercials began with the 'i' suffix. There are no Alphabet Commercials with a 'g' suffix. The subject gun actually has a 'q' suffix.
Looking at various suffix letter charts, it looks like a g to me but you may be correct that it's a q. As I said in my first post, the frame serial number looks suspiciously like the original was scrubbed and a new one stamped. I've never seen an alphabet Luger frame with grind marks on it like that. They have all been smooth. I suspect that a military frame was scrubbed and renumbered.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 09-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #24
MikeP
User

Reference the railway use.
Long long ago someone presented a railway marked Luger.
It inspired a lengthy thread on "Railroad Lugers."
Several examples were offered.
Probably long unretrieveable.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 10-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #25
gunnertwo
User

Sold for around $1500 this afternoon. $1225 plus $226 buyers premium and shipping fees. I would think the 18.5% influenced the buyer, and any other bidders.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post: