LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-24-2002, 07:26 AM   #1
Bud
User

Post $150 for a mint cond Stoeger .22?

Okay, I know this might be lame for some here, but I saw a mint condition Stoeger(I believe) .22 cal model, the niftiest little thing in .22, with the "Luger" on the side of the frame, and frankly, I don't know anything about those little .22 cal "lugers". Maybe it is a good buy in mint condition at just $150, but it only comes with one mag. I figure the rest of the gun is made of cheap cast, or is it aluminum?
Surely, this would be a great little gun to go with my cheap Phoenix Arms five inch barrel cheapy trainer pistol, but I wouldn't want to waste money on something that is infamous for unreliability.
What do others here know of these .22 cal luger look-alikes?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bud, In most cases the Stoeger 22 lugers are more reliable shooters than the Erma luger copies. I do have new factory Stoeger magazines available for this pistol @$25 each. Tom H.
Unread 07-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Although they carry the legitimate name of Luger (since Stoeger had it trademarked) they are not true toggle actions, but blowback pistols... They are worth the $150 they are asking if that is what you really want to own. The only caution is that the frame IS made of aluminum, and they are not real durable.

If Luger look-a-like is what you want then buy it, but if pure reliability is what you are looking for in a .22 LR auto, buy a Ruger standard auto instead... same fine grip angle, steel framed, and you can even scope it if you want to. Tom Heller may have magazines, but other parts may be very hard to find. Rugers on the other hand will have parts available for years to come and you can probably pick up a nice used one for less than the Stoeger Luger...

Just my $0.02

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #4
unspellable
User

It's only one example and not good statistics, but I had a Stoeger 22 that was a jam-a-matic as opposed to the 32 Erma I now have that seems pretty reliable. At least reliable enough to be fun to shoot. With the Stoeger I spent all my time clearing the jams. I made no attempt to straighten it out, I just returned it.

I thought Erma was supposed to have more experience att his kind of thing than Stoeger. (And who actually made the Stoeger come to that?)
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote